Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 790 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 4:32:11 PM PST
which of the tablets
had the commandment that said
thou shalt not blog-drive?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 5:32:49 PM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - I think it is illegal in many states to drive distracted, check with the states you drive in.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 4:45:24 AM PST
this is the first time
I can concede that you're right
but ...it WAS a joke!

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 6:25:05 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - Wisdom starts with such a first step.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 7:15:47 AM PST
baby steps walker
you have a long road ahead
'til you attain it...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 8:19:53 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - Such is your perspective.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 5:04:55 PM PST
"the flavors of life"
I wrote this a while back
moved from other thread...

===<===<===>===>===

We live, we eat, and we die, everything else is purely philosophical...

What defines a good Diet? Is the goal of a good meal to be healthy? Or is the true goal to be satisfying? Should food make you happy, make you feel full, or simply sustain life? Yes, it can include all of these, but what is the most important? When we eat in desperation, is it more satisfying than when we eat regularly? What if there were never any variety of food, and it was just tasteless Protein paste and water? Yes, we could sustain life, but what about the rest? There would be no flavor, but no remorse for flavor because no one would know the difference. The only thing we absolutely NEED food for is to sustain life; otherwise our bodies would starve and die. But our ego needs life to be more than just sustaining an existence. So why do we need flavor? The answer to this question is the philosophical foundation of why we prepare elaborate recipes to eat...perhaps Satisfaction?

---------------------------------

What defines a good faith? Is the goal of your belief to be grounded? Or is the true goal to be content? Should your faith make you feel happy, make you feel safe, or simply sustain order? Yes, it can include all of these, but what is the most important? When we pray in the face of tragedy, is it any more important than praying when we are already blessed? What if there was no faith at all and we believe we just die and then nothing? There would be no past life, but no post remorse for lost life because there would be no consciousness with which to morn. The only thing we absolutely NEED faith for is to sustain order; otherwise survival instinct might have us kill or be killed without fear of consequence. But our ego needs life to be more than just sustaining an existence. So why do we pray? The answer to this question is the philosophical foundation of why we create elaborate religions to believe...perhaps Contentment?

Most people depend on religion to teach them the foundations of good humanity. That would be a powerful argument until you add the promise of an ever forgiving deity and some rendition of paradise after death (as long as you follow the doctrine of your given religion) so what about those who don't follow "your" specific dogma, what do they get? Looking at the population that DON'T bow to the same gods, and figuring that only one group could possibly have it right, everyone else must be Damned... right? (Then there is always that possibility that "no one" has gotten the formula right yet, meaning EVERYONE is damned.) ...the whole idea is simply ridiculous!

Not one page of any "Holy Scripture" out there can be proven to come from a divine source. These "Visions" of prophets are most likely the desperate rantings of intelligent and respected, but most likely "fasting" or starved, dehydrated and possibly intoxicated philosophers who came up with a good imaginative idea that people liked so they accepted it. There are many who wrote books that didn't stick. What was allowed into the accepted and published texts is what worked best for most. For example, there are well documented "gospels" that didn't "fit" the accepted Bible so they were simply removed (Thomas, Enoch and Nicodemus to name a few). And even if you accept the scripture given, it's all up to interpretation (thus we have the hundreds of denominations of just Christianity alone that don't follow the same rituals). I wrote my own Soul Sphere theory, but not because I believe it is necessarily the right formula. I did because I could. I don't think Spherion is any more concrete an idea than the Holy Trinity in terms of physical evidence, but I know the idea came about the exact same way. The difference is Sphere theory wasn't compiled by a consortium of corrupt heads of clergy trying to control population through fear. But, each story the clergy used to compile their final canon came from the same source, a normal mortal human being with an idea. Should we accept some of the teachings of the Bible? ...Sure, why not? It is generally a collection of stories meant to teach not only virtue but general life lessons. Some of the ideas like Leviticus 11 are outdated, (where eating "unclean" meat probably gave you worms or disease that they didn't have cures for so man wrote into the bible a rule that tells people to avoid that). However, many of the lessons are timeless, like Joseph's story (Gen: 37-50), which simply teaches one of our favorite principles "To save for a rainy day". Most other religion's scripture follows the same pattern, some outdated ideas but many beautiful teachings from wise scholars of the past giving ideas of how to exist on earth from experience. Should we celebrate Jesus? Sure, but no more than we should celebrate Krishna ...They are both an inspiring story primarily teaching unconditional love and forgiveness. Will anyone who doesn't celebrate either of these figures be damned? Absolutely NOT!

So, what is your ideal diet? What makes your ideal diet better than others? If you eat Italian all your life, you may feel comfort when you eat a good bowl of spaghetti and meatballs but is that meal any better than a plate of Irish Corned Beef and potatoes? Are either of these meals any good or is it best to just eat a Salad? Does it really matter what we eat as long as it is flavorful and nutritious? Did your mom ever force you to eat Brussels sprouts? Better yet, did she make you promise to always eat your Brussels sprouts or else you are going to get sick and die? If we teach our children the "principles" of a good meal, why do we need to give them a strict menu to follow? Sure, we'd teach them a few recipes we know but we wouldn't make them promise to eat only spaghetti and Brussels sprouts, because that would just be ridiculous!

Consider this analogy as a possible "foundation" for living, I call it...
"The Food Pyramid of Virtue": (Love) Grains, (Kindness/Compassion/Empathy) Fruits, (Forgiveness/Mercy) Vegetables, (Honesty) Meat, (Patience/Self-Control) Dairy, (Humility) Fats/Sweets.

Then follow these additional principles of strength (the utensils):
Exercise, Valor, Diligence, Curiosity and Awe

And share these with others as often as possible (the condiments):
Happiness, Joy, generosity, laughter

No one has the perfect recipe for magic soup, neither spiritual nor literal. We have learned all the basic food groups and know what is good and bad for our bodies. How we mix them is our prerogative as long as we try to get more of the nutritious foods (...or virtuous principles) into our diet. But, no matter how we mix them, we will never find the magic recipe that allows us to "live forever". If you have a favorite recipe, eat it up, enjoy it, and even share it. But never shove it down each other's throats. And always keep your palate open to tasting different recipes; you might get a bitter taste in your mouth but then you might just find a brand new flavor you really like a lot! Just remember, all of our mixtures, theories or "recipes" are purely a quest to find the ultimate level of satisfaction and contentment, the best "Flavors" to enjoy while alive. ***Fin***

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 5:58:03 PM PST
Island Girl says:
Harvey,

Michelle O. said to remind you that the food pyramid is old school and you should change the name of your analogy from "The Food Pyramid of Virtue" to "My Plate of Virtue." (chooseMyPlate.gov) ;)

Otherwise, very nice post--as was the letter to your children.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 3:11:28 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - Spoken as one who rides the wave. Best of luck.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 3:05:46 PM PST
The Brick Bible: A New Spin on the Old Testament

"the brick testament"
LEGOscapes in the form of
the old testament

anyone have this?
I have been to the web site
and I laughed a lot

is this child safe?
it's suppose to be tamer
sex and such removed...

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 4:44:55 PM PST
I often ponder
Why no one's yet invented
Bacon Bubble Gum...

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 4:50:35 PM PST
no superbowl for me,
a double shift for money
got 4 mouths to feed

funny commercials
are my only real interest
not a big sports buff...

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:18:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 5:24:05 AM PST
ahhh haAAA HAAA-HAIKU!!!
gesundheit! (good health, in deutsch)
please pass the tissue...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 6:16:09 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - Did you just blow your brains out?

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 10:32:14 AM PST
filed a patent
to protect my recipe
..."bacon flavored wine!"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 11:35:10 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - Best of Luck with that.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 6:02:02 PM PST
I just got home from
the Canadian Tantric
metallurgy faire...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 6:58:32 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - Did you meet some new fairease?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 9:35:27 AM PST
"F"arisees were there...
"Mosaic Alchemy league"
they labeled themselves

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 10:06:13 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - Really? How many members?

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 10:16:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 10:18:07 AM PST
Was only 7,
It's some doctrine they follow
7 at a time...

if more than that come
one has to be sacrificed,
dropped in molten bronze

if not enough come
they drag enough bronze statues
to make it 7...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 5:06:12 PM PST
I. L. Walker says:
HHS - You sure know alot about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 10:50:42 PM PST
it was shown to me...
yeah ...in a divine vision!!!
...fine, I google'd it

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 10:53:27 PM PST
I'm learning to play
an antique, gerbil powered
pewter glockenspiel

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 7:30:58 AM PST
Bidding on e-bay
for a Ziploc bag full of
T-Rex nostril hairs
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  790
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions