Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why Are Atheists So Obsessed With Religion?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 29, 2012 5:36:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 10, 2012 12:17:39 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:45:41 PM PST
How is that different than scientists trying to interpret data that they observe in cosmology to explain how the universe became? Different words, same process.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:46:35 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
Where would it stop, if every non-scientific idea was allowed to be placed in opposition to evolution? There is no scientific basis for ID, and it has no place in the science classroom.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:46:40 PM PST
>Why would they do that, are they afraid evolution couldn't hold up against ID?

Actually, they're afrade that peepul who cant thenk or spel enny beter than you may not only pass there iggerance onto there own kidds but forse it on uthers.

>Do they think opposing viewpoints shouled be censored?

They might think that school is for teaching knowledge, not nonsense. Do you think that medical schools in state universities should be required to have courses taught by witch doctors as "alternative points of view" on medicine?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:49:45 PM PST
Ku says:
Taking a ream of measurements or hard data and turning it into something intelligible is by no means comparable to opening the Bible and saying 'this is how it all began'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:50:10 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 5:51:40 PM PST
J. Russell says:
Why are atheists obsesed with religion?

My Response:
On 9/11 a small group of True Believers thought some god would reward them of an obscene act.
Eric Rudolph bombed a gay night club as well as the Olympics and several abortion clinics and claimed to be a part of "The Army of God"
Many far-right Christians regard anything which smacks of internationalism - the UN, the IMF, and the Olympics - as tools of Satan.

In 1978 over 900 people died when the People's Temple (frequently known as Jonestown) murdered their own children with poison. The rest of the community then followed suit, 200 of them killing themselves and shooting the others. The dead included 383 Americans. They had previously practised the suicide routine. Their leader shot himself. He was American Rev. James Warren Jones, an ordained priest in the mainstream Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

The Branch Davidians, also took on an increasingly them-and-us attitude. They started out with Biblical ideas about the cataclysms of judgement day, and ended up stockpiling weapons. It culminated with the Waco siege where over 80 died during a shoot-out with authorities in 1993.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:52:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 5:54:18 PM PST
sfon says:
Doobie says: "My beliefs are based on the Bible and the teachings of Christ, therefore, I have no need to hedge my bets."

I wasn't questioning the sincerity of your beliefs, I was expressing why the "If I'm right and you're wrong argument" is not compelling. If your belief is not 'hedging your bets', then why would you expect anyone else to believe based on any such motivation?

Most people believe what they genuinely think is real. That's what I do. And it appears as if that's what you do.

"If I'm right and you're wrong", even accompanied by various horror stories, inspires zero motivation to actually believe something that you don't believe is real in the first place. Anybody can tell or repeat a horror story, and many do. Such is not compelling to anyone unless they're already in the mindset of that particular belief. Many people, including myself, are not compelled by the horror stories of any religion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:52:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 5:54:17 PM PST
Deriving meaning from a data. Interpretation of the data.

same thing, different words.
It still has to be interpreted.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:53:27 PM PST
>So why sue to keep [ID] from being taught alongside evolution?

Let me ask you this: do you want numerology taught in math classes alongside algebra and geometry?

If your kid signs up for French, do you want the teacher also teaching them about speaking in tongues?

If your kid takes a science class and studies the stars and planets, do you want it to include a unit on astrology and how the stars affect our destiny?

If not, are you ready to stop asking dumb questions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:55:17 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:56:54 PM PST
Ku says:
Okay, here's some data for you to interpret for me:

"The days of Adam after he fathered Seth were 800 years; and he had other sons and daughters." Gen 5:4

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:58:05 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
Which is why there is so much variation in prescribing medicines and performing surgeries.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:58:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 5:58:54 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:59:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 6:01:47 PM PST
Which is why there is so much variation in prescribing medicines and performing surgeries.
You are correct!!
That is why it is a good idea to get a second opinion before surgery.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:00:02 PM PST
Ku says:
I've seen a rabbinical treatise take a similar crazy number and break it down into smaller numbers.

How do you know it doesn't mean it *felt* like 800 years with all those kids?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:00:41 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
They were answered, and you ignored them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:01:06 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
You are delusional.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:08:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 6:11:41 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:12:51 PM PST
Ku says:
Have you heard of the Miller-Urey experiment?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:14:47 PM PST
Nick says:
not4n: So why sue to keep it from being taught alongside evolution?

Nick: Because ID is not science.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:25:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 6:47:13 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:29:10 PM PST
Ku says:
Journal of Creation, huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:30:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 6:35:41 PM PST
No, Wikipedia! emphasis added by me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 6:34:38 PM PST
Ku says:
You shouldn't insert words like 'SPECULATION' into the original text and fail to give a source in the original response.

As for "And they still did not come alive or form DNA!", I doubt you understand the purpose of the experiment.

It was to see if the basic building blocks for life could've come into being in the assumed environment.

And they did.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  107
Total posts:  1211
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions