Customer Discussions > Religion forum

The Most Repugnant TV Ad I've Ever Seen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 6:37:40 PM PST
jpl says:
A certain ad on TV which tells christian singles to mingle, and uses the word "god," as if the christrian god is the only one believed in, and which discounts us atheists as well, makes me want to hurl. You've all seen it.

This ad assumes that people believe in only one god.

What if we were to see a national ad for muslimsmingling.com, and it mentioned "God" as if the muslim god were the only one, and all other people, including atheists, are excluded? How would you xtians react?

This is the most divisive, hate-inducing ad I've ever seen.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:55:58 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
I may be incapable of being offended but there's nothing offensive about it. It's directed at a group following a specific God.

I do think it's funny what I hear in my head when the commercial comes on: "Are you alone? And delusion?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:16:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:17:44 PM PST
nameinuse says:
they do have jdate for jews to meet too....I dont see the big deal. they probably will have a muslim dating site if they dont already.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:22:42 PM PST
jpl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:27:06 PM PST
nameinuse says:
Youre probably the only person who cares.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:31:27 PM PST
Bubba says:
"Find God's Match For You®"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:32:50 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
Quite the crazy non-sequitur. I'm not a sociopath. I'm just not so full of myself that I think me feeling something constitutes a point.

I don't see anything wrong with the ad. It's a hilarious display of religion, talking about God picking dates for you online. I don't mind it at all. I also fail to see how this is "divisive", everyone already knows there are plenty of Christians. There are dating sites for other religions. So what?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:36:44 PM PST
Bubba says:
jdate.com and christianmingle.com are both owned by Spark Networks, Inc. Spark Networks, Inc. has about 25 dating sites, none of them are for Muslims.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:39:18 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
Uh oh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:39:55 PM PST
B. Josephson says:
The most offensive ads I know of are those where a doctor came on television and told people how good cigarettes were for digestion after a meal.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:01:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:02:10 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Jack, is that really how they say it, "....and delusion?" Really? Are they that ignorant?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:16:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:19:17 PM PST
jpl says:
Jack Vix says: Quite the crazy non-sequitur. I'm just not so full of myself that I think me feeling something constitutes a point. [jpl: A point well-taken--in a way. I see the hilarity of it all, as we keen observers do, but I don't think it's funny, because that kind of ad reinforces the political might for those in the fold (Your youth is showing).]

I don't see anything wrong with the ad. I'm not a sociopath. [jpl: I misspoke about your possible sociopathy. Maybe you're not a sociopath. Either way, I don't care.] It's a hilarious display of religion, talking about God picking dates for you online. I don't mind it at all. I also fail to see how this is "divisive", everyone already knows there are plenty of Christians. There are dating sites for other religions. So what? [jpl: You don't see the political ramifications, regardless of you hubris.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:23:41 PM PST
B. Josephson says:
jpl, I don't agree with Jack a lot, but I think you are the first one to think he might be a sociopath.

Sociopaths are often quite persuasive, and appear to be something they are not in order to get people to go along with them.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:28:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:31:09 PM PST
jpl says:
B. Josephson says: jpl, I don't agree with Jack a lot, but I think you are the first one to think he might be a sociopath. [jpl: I was being acerbic when I said that. I doubt that Jack would kill someone for some gain and feel nothing. That was a bad choice of wording on my part.]

Sociopaths are often quite persuasive, and appear to be something they are not in order to get people to go along with them. [jpl: The word is "ingratiating," but I don't think Jack is a sociopath, though he could become one. I just think Jack is obsessed with hatred of religion and has a hard time not expressing his opinions regarding it, as do I.]

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:31:17 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
jpl-

"We already have half the country on the verge of hating the other half."

I think we can safely say we are past just the verge on this one.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:59:37 PM PST
jpl says:
The Most Repugnant TV Ad I've Ever Seen

jpl: Goodnight, everybody. Have fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:14:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:15:23 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
The commercial asks, "Are you single? And Christian?"

*pat* *pat*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:19:04 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
I just don't get the point. What is the big deal? What is the ultimate thing you're mad about? It's an ad. The political system is a joke. What is this ad on the horror of our broken system? Who cares? What is this ad harming? Is there a body count?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:31:19 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
I would be offended if it mentioned the ultimate goal were to create a perfect faith-based race... as it is I find it to be unintentionally hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:50:27 PM PST
that is what christians beleive

if you dont believe like christians do
then maybe you should look for antoher site

the only hate inducement is your bloviation

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:51:27 PM PST
but other people have one for them
and most every other specialty interest
probably one for left handed bowlers somewhre

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:52:16 PM PST
well jack is not persuasive at all

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:53:29 PM PST
jack is trying to justify to himself his rejection of God
because he knows there is one but cant bear to face the truth
that he decided to do something stupid

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:03:10 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
horse-

You know what other people are thinking without knowing them at all? You should become a psychic because I think we can all agree that they are not full of crap and you are doing the exact same thing that they do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:27:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 3:27:47 AM PST
Bubba says:
christianmingle.com is owned by Spark Networks, which has about 25 dating sites for all sorts of different religions and other groups.

Although Spark Networks, which is the industry leader for dating sites, doesn't have a Muslim dating site, there may be one (or more) out there. Spark Networks also doesn't appear to have a gay dating site, but there are a number of them.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions