Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

I Lost (faith) and Found (reality)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 6:28:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 20, 2013 3:03:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:29:04 PM PDT
Sorry "bub?"

I don't give a rat's ass what you personally say. That is the basic Christian message, EOS. Live by it, and die by it. Anything else is hypocritical nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:38:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 20, 2013 3:03:11 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:43:39 PM PDT
brunumb says:
Unlike yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:38:58 PM PDT
Thank you. I'm touched. Really. But the real heroine of the story is my friend, but your praise is very humbling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:12:01 PM PDT
I'm very intolerant of anti-intellectual dithering, hypocrisy, religious exceptionalism, and unreasonable nonsense.

You accept a little responsibility and apply a little reason at some point, I'm sure we'll get along fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:41:52 PM PDT
Bubba says:
moongirl says: "In the catholic school I went to, we were told that if we played with children who were not catholics we would go to hell. We also were told to convert them if possible."

Did they provide instruction, perhaps heavy on the role-play, in how to convert children who were not catholics, or did they just say to do it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:52:20 PM PDT
Or how one who was banned from interacting with them would access them long enough to convert them?

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 1:09:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 1:21:40 AM PDT
carriew says:
I've been an atheist since just before my 11th birthday. No one had tried very hard to push religion on me until then -- my mother was raised Church of England but has no particular interest in religion, my father was an unusual combination of believer (Presbyterian) and scientist (physics) who somehow managed to instill in me a love of science, but not religion.

During the first days of that summer my parents decided it would be good for their sanity if they could drop their unruly brood off somewhere on Saturdays. We were driving past a church (Baptist, I think) where a huge sign trumpeted "VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL". They looked at each other & grinned. Serve us little devils right to get some religion while they got some peace and quiet. We were enrolled forthwith.

First day, separated from my brothers and sent with the other girls to to a small, stuffy room. I tried hard to pay attention to the teacher, but she droned -- on and on she went, Saturday after Saturday, until one day she was gone -- in her place a vivacious young woman who opened the windows, fed us cookies and talked excitedly about Jesus, whose picture was prominently displayed up front. Then she said a very interesting thing. She said if we all shut our eyes tight, Jesus would let us see him. Thrilled at the prospect of seeing anything but spots with my eyes closed, I squeezed them shut and waited ... nope, just spots. Nothing but tiny spots. The girls next to me said they saw him even after they opened their eyes. I asked the teacher why I couldn't see him. She said I needed to pray and try again later, and if I prayed hard enough Jesus would come. So, with a 10 year old's trust I tried prayers patterned on what I'd heard at the Summer Bible School. Nothing. I asked my mother, but she was no help -- she said he was probably busy. I asked my two best friends. They didn't know. All that summer I tried to conjure up Jesus, but he never showed. I finally wrote it off as a failed experiment and moved on. Guess I just don't have that "believer" gene.

Ironically, my father's encouragement for us to question everything had a strong effect, but not, I think, the one he had intended -- at least not where religion was concerned, because he never did understand how his daughter ended up an atheist and his eldest son a non-gods believing Buddhist. In spite of that, we're still a loving family, now sadly minus our Dad who died a few years ago. This is a fact I fear that the type of believer we often encounter on these fora fails to understand when s/he claims we hate theists . How could we when most, if not all of us count many theists of various religions among our much loved families and friends?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 1:15:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2012 1:52:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 1:16:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2012 1:49:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 1:18:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2012 1:52:42 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 1:22:21 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 17, 2012 5:43:22 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 1:52:59 AM PDT
tokolosi says:
;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 2:09:26 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Perhaps the nuns were teaching in parables?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:09:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 6:10:26 AM PDT
J. Harding says:
SCL,

What I'm saying is that once people can form their own preferences I don't think it's that hard to get to something like the golden rule as a moral system. If people truly had no emotions and could form no preferences, it is not clear to me that there would be right or wrong.

It seemed to me that you were using this basic requirement of emotion as a critique of RRR's posts. I don't think such a critique works because I think such minimal emotion would be required in any moral system.

If you agree with that, then sweet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:31:20 AM PDT
lol Bubba! Nope, no instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:35:02 AM PDT
I never could figure out why 'grown-ups' couldn't see that flaw.

I continued to play with the protestant kids, just as all the other catholic kids did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:46:05 AM PDT
K. MCCAY says:
I went through a very similar story to you Rachel, which I wrote a book about, detailing my journey into and back out of Christianity. I was a pastor for ten years, but started to realize there are some major problems with religion. Thank you for sharing a bit of your story and good luck to you. This is the link to my book if anyone might possible be interested- Confessions of a Heretic: How a Right Wing, Fundamentalist, Conservative Pastor Became a Leftist, Liberal Heathen

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:47:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2012 11:37:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:04:47 AM PDT
Bubba says:
When I lived in Minnesota I played with quite a few RC kids who went to parochial school. We knew it was Catholic school, but it was always called parochial school. The kids didn't care, but for some adults there was quite a bit of friction between RCs and protestants. At that time, it was still fish on Friday for RCs, and all of the restaurants had Friday Fish Fries, as did groups like the volunteer firemen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:12:22 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
Sounds like a good story, McKay, but Amazon frowns on promoting your own work in the discussion forums. Better take out the link.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:48:13 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Thanks!

I'd say reading the Bible was a real challenge for my faith, but just one of many contributing factors. I was expecting it to be profound and...I'm not sure what the word is, but "good, compassionate", that type of thing. Instead I found much of it to be rather horrifying, and poorly written. I'd always though Isiah was this beautiful, neat book for example. I used to even have a pin I wore with a verse from it (a small metal thing with a dove and the numbers, that is). When actually reading the whole thing, it wasn't beautiful at all, it was kind of nasty/mean, and it wasn't well written either.

Since becoming an atheist, while reading a book...I think it was Letter to a Christian Nation, but I'm not sure...anyway it said some stuff about the gospel Mark, and it just sounded outrageous to me. I quit reading that and immediately read all of Mathew, and to my surprise what Sam Harris (I think) had claimed was exactly correct.

My understanding is that the Gospels Mathew, Luke, and Mark are all pulled from the same source-Mark is the oldest, and the other two are kind of embellishments on it. Anyway, to my surprise, the Jesus character doesn't come off that well in it. It has the infamous thing with Jesus losing it because a fig tree dares to not give him fruit. It's like we're at the halfway point of this book, and so far he's said and done nothing with any moral significance, and then he's using his super powers to get back at...a tree...for not giving him fruit. It's bizarre. The first actual ethical/moral statement he makes in Mark (if I'm remembering right) is that you're not allowed to get divorced ever, for any reason...and that was over halfway through the book.

Anyway that's all a tangent as I guess it had been years since I'd read Mark most recently, but anyway I did find the Bible to be a real challenge to my faith.

The tipping point for me was finally getting up the courage to read The God Delusion (deciding my faith would get me through it, if it were true). I'd been struggling with this stuff for years at one level or another, but it was the tipping point, after the bible, after the podcasts, etc. I think Letter to a Christian Nation was my second book, and great too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 9:47:10 AM PDT
Thanks for sharing your story, Carrie. I'm always a bit envious of former believers who figured it all out years before I did! Better late than never, I guess. But I especially liked this very overlooked point: "This is a fact I fear that the type of believer we often encounter on these fora fails to understand when s/he claims we hate theists . How could we when most, if not all of us count many theists of various religions among our much loved families and friends?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 9:49:45 AM PDT
Thank you, K. Although I really like your title, Amazon frowns on authors self-promoting outside of the forum they have designated for that purpose: "Meet Our Authors."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1650 5 days ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 3449 2 minutes ago
Even if There Were a 'God,' No Human Could Know It 2583 3 minutes ago
Today in Muslim History 8601 7 minutes ago
Art & Spirituality 516 13 minutes ago
How can atheism be true or false? 683 24 minutes ago
Why did those who are now atheists leave Christianity? 6824 28 minutes ago
Life 858 2 hours ago
What would Christ say about Atheists Who Deny God and deny Him? What would Christ say about Crooked Hillary's Abortion Promotion, Lies, Pay to Play Profiteering, Not following the Rules, Silly Dyed Light Blond Hair, and her Muslim Brotherhood Woman? 98 3 hours ago
Noah's Ark - the "WTH?"Thread 157 3 hours ago
nondualism 353 4 hours ago
Another 10,000 Quotes... 7015 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  181
Total posts:  8856
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions