Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Gay Bullying Deaths and Religion: Are Believers the Problem or the Solution?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2010 10:26:39 AM PDT
Gay folks will stand up for the religious folks rights, but religious folks won't stand up for the gay folks rights. Hmmmm.....

This article is well balanced and informative. Please take a look at the article and see if we can discuss this issue.

"One irony of the conservative Christian opposition to homosexuality and anti-discrimination efforts is that religion is also listed in every anti-bullying statute as a reason youth are bullied, and a 2008 British study found that one in four young people from across all religions in the United Kingdom had been bullied because of their religious beliefs."

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/10/07/gay-bullying-deaths-and-religion-are-believers-the-problem-or-t/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 10:29:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2011 10:13:50 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 10:40:28 AM PDT
What about this article?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/09/us/09religion.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 10:43:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2011 10:13:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 10:50:00 AM PDT
I think it isn't their belief that is the problem...it is the actions that they take based on their belief.

I wish they didn't believe the way that they do.....I find it rather annoying that homosexuality and abortion are the only "sins" that are spoken out against by these believers....

The problem is the words and actions that these believers take based on their anti-gay beliefs.

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 11:15:38 AM PDT
Monte Cristo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 11:19:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2011 10:13:53 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 11:56:14 AM PDT
Yet the only "sins" these Christians target are homosexuality and abortion.

Even if it would be another group, we have to make each and every group that is targeted not acceptable to target by people.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 12:22:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2011 10:13:55 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 12:26:09 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 12:27:26 PM PDT
I believe in equality for all. I would like people to extend love and compassion for all people.

How about this article from the Front Page of the NY Times today?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/09/nyregion/09bias.html?ref=todayspaper

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 1:01:04 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 1:58:20 PM PDT
ONE school, ONE bully, FOUR suicides due to that ONE bully.

How much is enough??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101008/ap_on_re_us/us_bullying_one_town

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 2:04:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2011 2:15:28 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 2:09:27 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 2:12:03 PM PDT
A. Flowers says:
I find it interesting how this same topic on the Christianity forum generated real conversations, but here it is just the same couple trolls crying "hater".

haters gonna hate. *shrug*

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 2:15:52 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 2:22:39 PM PDT
Just because it happened in the past or you saw it happen in the past does not make it acceptable in the present.

There is much more to the whole Columbine thing than you know...I don't talk about what I know, but I do know more than what the media put out on that one. I lived in Denver at that time.

Bullying is not a new phenomena, but it needs to be stopped.

I was bullied as a kid. I remember once these other kids told me that the world would be a better place without me and that I should just kill myself. I was actively suicidal at that time.

Also, targeting people for being gay is wrong....just as targeting someone for being black, or Muslim, or Christian is wrong. We need to teach our children to be better than what we grew up with. We need to teach our children that it is not going to be acceptable to have bullying as a part of "how it is".

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 2:35:00 PM PDT
A. Flowers says:
If everyone got raped by their father at age 5, would that make it ok? Of course not.

So how does "everyone gets bullied" make bullying ok? It doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 2:42:29 PM PDT
DMP says:
One pointed to ~

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/09/nyregion/09bias.html?ref=todayspaper

I was sick to my stomach after reading this. That kind of behavior isn't even human. And I'm sorry, but I have the lay the blame for this kind of torture at the feet of groups like Focus on the Family, the Family Research Council, the Mormon Church, the Catholic Church, the men at Concerned Women of America, NOM, and all those other groups who make such *public* condemnation of gays and lesbians. Like it or not, they have become the public voice of Christianity in America, and by so doing, they give an imprimatur to gay-bashing. The churches and institutions who subscribe to the pronouncements of such organizations, enable an atmosphere in Society that says blatantly that hatred and discrimination and bigotry towards gays and lesbians are tacitly acceptable. They give out the message that gay and lesbian people are "less-than" other citizens.

The public face of Christianity in this nation is responsible for this kind of cruelty and torture and hatred. It's reprehensible. We have freedom of religion, yes--but when such organizations allow their bigotry and hatred to instill these ideas into churches, that mindset oozes out from behind those church doors and poisons society with toxicity that fosters violence. I don't know what to do about it--all I know is that I'm seething with anger and sick to the core of my being that people would use their religion and their "God" to manifest an atmosphere of cruelty that has crept into every corner of this Society.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 3:04:43 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 3:06:26 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 3:07:59 PM PDT
No, it is not being treated like a new phenomena.

It is finally being given the attention it needs.

We need to wake up as a society and see where we have gone wrong.
Next we need to take action to fix what we have messed up.

The serious bullying of gay kids just for being gay is a newer phenomena....it is happening at a greater rate then it ever happened.

We need to step out of the darkness and open our eyes and stop this terror.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 3:11:28 PM PDT
Amon says:
Now I normally don't get involved in other persons argument. He didn't blame religion he only stated that there are instances where religion says it's ok.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 5:13:08 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 47 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1352 4 days ago
Another 10,000 Quotes... 3872 2 minutes ago
Today in Muslim History 1017 2 minutes ago
If Jesus was Jewish, why don't Jews beleive in Jesus? 1417 3 minutes ago
What is the meaning of life? 90 5 minutes ago
Is homosexuality a 'good thing' ? 5797 15 minutes ago
What is the Tao? Does one _trust_ the Tao? 0 19 minutes ago
Religion Forum Satiated with SEX! 57 24 minutes ago
Dear theists, 1373 40 minutes ago
Your bumper sticker favorites 777 46 minutes ago
goblue says: I can prove theism true. 425 48 minutes ago
Dear atheists, 8272 53 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  1171
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions