Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

why do atheist ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2013 9:12:42 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:14:53 AM PDT
Wulfwig Fox says:
This has been addressed many times before.

First of all, religion has a bearing on everybody's life.

Secondly, many believers here claim they're not religious. They only have 'a personal relationship' with God.

So you have to wonder what they're doing here if it's such a dirty word.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:17:13 AM PDT
If I had no interest in baseball,I would not spend time on a baseball forum!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:18:05 AM PDT
Wulfwig Fox says:
Baseball fans don't threaten you with a bad place if you don't back the team.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:20:26 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:21:19 AM PDT
Wulfwig Fox says:
Are you religious?

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:23:57 AM PDT
yes, why else would I be on a religious forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:27:09 AM PDT
Wulfwig Fox says:
It's not a religious forum. You've misunderstood.

It's the religion forum. You don't have to be religious to post an opinion here.

There are no membership rules.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:28:24 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:30:41 AM PDT
Wulfwig Fox says:
It's even funnier that you've started a thread about atheists in what you call the religious forum.

That's so inappropriate from the POV of your principles.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:32:27 AM PDT
what principles?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:33:00 AM PDT
Wulfwig Fox says:
Good question.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:51:01 AM PDT
Joe W says:
I think that you are playing dumb with that characterization, if not with this whole thread. The religious consistently and constantly attempt to interfere with and modify the lives of those who do not share their beliefs. These attempts take the form of social and economic pressure, workplace discrimination, legislative force, and sometimes physical force. I take the same interest in religion as I do in tax law, school curriculum, and the best way to protect my home from insects. If you characterize that as "obsession", then you are selling snake oil.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:54:49 AM PDT
Max Flash says:
Bairn: Baseball fans don't threaten you with a bad place if you don't back the team.

Max: I can see you've never been to Philadelphia.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:04:05 AM PDT
Wulfwig Fox says:
lol

No, never.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 10:27:47 AM PDT
Palladin55 says:
"Why do atheist spend so much time on the religion forum?If they are non-believers this is the last forum they should be on! "

I disagree. Most atheists have taken the time to think about religion and are interested in the subject. Just because they don't believe what you believe doesn't mean they don't have something meaningful to say. Religion, whether or not you are a believer, is part of our culture, politics and literature.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:36:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 10:38:11 AM PDT
AxeGrrl says:
Michael J.Mason wrote: "If they are non-believers this is the last forum they should be on!"
~~~~

If you live in the U.S. and pay attention to the (seemingly) endless separation-of-church-and-state issues that come up on a _daily_ basis there (literally), and the slandering of atheists as a group by religious people, you wouldn't have made this statement :)

If you were being slandered by a certain group (or _some_ members of the group) and this group based their slander on their beliefs/worldview, would you feel like standing by and letting their rhetoric stand without discussion/debate?

I hope not.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:47:39 AM PDT
"Why do atheist spend so much time on the religion forum?"

* Well over 80% of our fellow citizens are associated with a religion... so it is in our best interests to understand their point of view.
* Some of us are simply interested in the subject, even if we aren't personally religious.
* There are a lot of misconceptions and even outright falsehoods concerning atheists and atheism amongst the religious, so it is in our best interests to correct those mistaken claims.
* A vocal, politically active *minority* of religious people engage in destructive actions which they engage in while claiming a religious motivation or even a requirement that they engage in those actions. It is in our best interests to speak out against those actions, and, where relevant, the beliefs which motivate them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:54:47 AM PDT
"If I had no interest in baseball,I would not spend time on a baseball forum!"

If you lived in a world in which
* well over 80% of the population played baseball
* people were taking political / legal / social action based on their ideas concerning baseball
* baseball had a dominant role in our society, and
* you were faced with insults, threats, and disapproval based on your lack of interest in baseball,

then I suspect that you would feel motivated to spend more time on baseball forums than you do today.

If you disagree with this, would you care to explain why?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 11:45:58 AM PDT
J. Russell says:
Mayhaps we are tired of all the lies told about us. Mayhaps we are tired of the bad influence religion has on society at large. Mayhaps we are tired of religionists claiming all excelence and distorting actual history in an attempt to institute a Christian Taliban in America.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 11:48:46 AM PDT
Iain says:
Dear Mr. Mason,

Where else are so many guaranteed laughs at virtually no cost?

Iain

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 12:24:50 PM PDT
Bingo, Joe!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 12:27:41 PM PDT
That's you. Some of us are different. Why do you care?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 12:28:09 PM PDT
It's not a religious forum, it's a forum to discuss religion. They're not the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 12:28:49 PM PDT
Like!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1552 16 days ago
Is Atheism and Secular Humanism Irreparably Corrupt? 394 1 minute ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 2877 2 minutes ago
What would Christ say about Trump: evangelical hero, crackpot, or psychopath? 1136 6 minutes ago
Why did those who are now atheists leave Christianity? 4208 41 minutes ago
Does the brain need consciousness? 118 45 minutes ago
On Refugees 66 1 hour ago
Is Crooked Hillary the Choice for Atheists because she is Crooked? Loves Aborting Baby Girls? Trashed the Women who Told The Truth About Impeached Cheating Bill? Or is it her Amoral Awkwardness that Attracts the Atheists To Crooked Hillary? 156 1 hour ago
Does Consciousness Need a Brian? 503 1 hour ago
Love 17 3 hours ago
Religion, No Religion - Who Really Cares? 6 4 hours ago
One-sentence Nonsense Deepities for Fun and Prophet 117 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Mar 11, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions