Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Do you find yourself repeating the same stuff over and over? Feel free to post it here for future copy and pastes...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 199 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 10:11:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 3:32:33 PM PST
Here are a couple of mine:

-- I don't believe hell or heaven are literal places. I believe they are states of mind. I don't think you have to die to experience either one, you can experience heaven and hell right now, right here. If your thoughts are full of joy, hope, and love you're in heaven right now. If your thoughts are full of hate, fear, and anger you're in hell right now.

Jesus said: "Behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
And Paul said, "Behold, NOW is the accepted time. Behold, NOW is the day of salvatiion."
______

-- For me, "God" is another name for Love, Truth, and Life. God is not some anthropomorphic being who sometimes chooses to help his creation and sometimes chooses to send it to eternal damnation. For me, God is ever-present Good, another name for the power of Good. Not supernatural, but supremely natural - and we all have access to this power when we align our thoughts to Good.
___
Proof of God? For me, God is another name for Good, and so you see evidence of my God is kindness, intelligence, and honesty. I've also experienced healings - physical, emotional, and financial - that are proofs, for myself, of the power of Good.
____
Ahem. Well, that's a start. I have more of these, of course, many more. But I'll give someone else a turn now. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 10:41:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 8:47:05 PM PST
not since i made a tape recording of
hey! you kids, get off my lawn !!!
and put in on a tape loop to keep playing automatically

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 1:29:25 PM PST
tokolosi says:
Someone should peruse Matthew Broderick's Catho-bot blather and put the dozen or so posts he repeats verbatim ad nauseam. I'd do it, but really don't want to get all that Precious Blood all over me... ;-p

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 2:45:03 PM PST
Ok, Here's mine, thanks for keeping this spot for me:
< Copy below this line >

There are no gods.
There never were any gods.
It's all a big Con.
You have been fooled all of your life.
Get over it.

<Copy Above this line>

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:35:10 PM PST
Ambulocetus says:
Here's mine:

You seem to think that homosexuality is a choice. That's very interesting. Can you tell me on what day you decided to become heterosexual? I imagine you must celebrate the day with great fanfare every year!

And, for another purpose:

If you want to say that all or most of the world's mass murder, irrationality, and war are ultimately caused by religion, and if you want to say that Maoism and Stalinism count as religions, then you owe us a definition of what you mean by "religion."

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:39:49 PM PST
I LOVE these!!! Thank you, Kevin and Daniel!
And Tokolosi, if you wanna bring over some copy and pastes from other posters, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. I mean. I'm mostly sure. :)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:14:47 PM PST
Songbird says:
I have a mental block here. I repeat so many things that I can't think of any gems. Well, there's, "Please, PLEASE throw your towel on the floor after you shower. There's nothing better than mildewy towels!" - But that's directed at my offspringeys....

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:17:14 PM PST
Mildewy towels with dirty socks on top of 'em is unbeatable, ain't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:21:12 PM PST
Songbird says:
The best.

Good thread, Karen. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:22:46 PM PST
there are 4-5 of those popebots that cut and paste the same garbage no matter what they reply to

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:57:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 7:05:07 PM PST
tokolosi says:
Here's one I've used some permutation of a few times that I kinda like:

-- There is no one watching over and protecting me, however...
-- There is no one watching my every move and condemning me.
-- Everything that happens to me is the result of my own decisions or random chance. (Or an interactive combination of the two, which is why it can be so attractive to invoke "divine intervention" to explain what seems to be inexplicable.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 10:11:06 PM PST
Oh! These are great! And now you've got a handy place to come and fetch 'em whenever you need to post them somewhere! :) Thanks, tokolosi!

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 5:29:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 5:30:13 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Believing something doesn't make it true.

Marriage in the U.S. is a civil institution in which the participation of a religion is optional.

Being offended doesn't make you right.

Faith is not a virtue; doubt is a virtue.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:16:35 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:27:03 AM PST
Here's one that seems to come back time and time again:

Peat and Repeat were crossing the street. Peat made it; who did not?

OK, Peat and Repeat were crossing the street...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 8:48:16 AM PST
Thank you, Jettos, for these socratic-ish questions. You brought me my first guffaw of the day! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 8:52:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 9:50:12 AM PST
Ooh! These are great ones, Brian! Reminds me of another one of mine:

Every person in our nation should have equal rights under the law - regardless of gender, ethnicity, race, religion, non-religion, or sexual orientation - and that includes the right of consenting adults to marry whom they choose.

And why people are so concerned with other peoples' sex lives is a mystery to me, anyway. It is no one's business, except the people involved, what consenting adults do with each other in the privacy of their own homes.

Aaannnnddd... then there's this one:
I am pro-choice. I've always been pro-choice. I am not pro-abortion - but, who is really? Personally, I don't think I would ever choose to have one - but then, I've never had an unwanted pregnancy or been in a position where I had to make a decision about having one. When I was pregnant with each of my sons I saw the ultrasounds of their little hearts, saw their little hands and feet moving, saw the youngest one sucking on his umbilical cord - and those babies on the screen were very real and precious to me - even when all there was to see were their little beating hearts. I can understand the emotions the anti-choice people have about this issue. I can relate to those emotions.

But, having said that, I also know both my pregnancies were desired, that the pregnancies were not troublesome to my healthy peasant stock self, and both my sons were seen to be thriving, healthy, and whole in the womb. To force a woman to go through a pregnancy that will cause risk to her health or ... well, you know what? To force a woman to go through a pregnancy - no matter what her situation - is not my choice to make. It just isn't. In my mind, it's like looking at women as breeding machines, as objects, without any thought to their feelings and needs - and it's just wrong.

Maybe there should be some kind of boundary established - some kind of limit about aborting a viable fetus... I don't know... but I'd hate to see our country go back to that time in history when women were risking their lives to get abortions in back alleys.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:02:20 AM PST
The only thing atheists have in common with each other, for sure, is that they don't believe in a god. To try to lump everyone who calls themselves an atheist under one big umbrella is bigotry.

Likewise, it is bigotry to lump all theists - or even all who identify themselves as "Christian" - under one big umbrella, and to assume they all feel the same, think the same, and believe the same as one another. I identify myself as a "Christian" but my beliefs about a God are vastly different than, say, DRM's or Matthew Broderick's. I think it is more helpful, when trying to understand someone else's perspective, to not assume you know what they believe or how they feel about things just because they happen to be "Christian" or "atheist" or "Jew" or "Muslim" or whatever - but to actually let individuals tell you, in their own words, what they believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 9:57:14 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Doubt is a virtue because it keeps you questioning instead of accepting claims that are unexamined and unsupported. That's the distinction between knowledge and faith, and knowlege is by far the more reliable.

Commitment is simply an emotional investment in something, right or wrong. Suicide bombers are committed individuals, but there's nothing admirable or virtuous about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:30:59 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:33:36 AM PST
Songbird says:
One oft-repeated function I appreciate - the ignore button. Ahhh, the peace!

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:37:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:59:40 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:45:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 11:46:45 AM PST
Bill M. says:
Back when I used to post a lot on Yahoo Answers, I maintained a text file of responses ready for copying and pasting. That's because 90% of the questions were the same 10 or so questions ("Why are atheists on a religion forum", "What happens after you die", "Is the world going to end in December 2012", Pascal's Wager, shifting the burden of proof for deity, "...then why are their [sic] still monkies [sic]", failed end of the world predictions, claims for OBE/NDEs, etc.).

As for Amazon, I keep a list of mostly URLs from certain people who keep trying to make the same arguments over and over again. This way I can save time by just saying "We already refuted that point here: [link]". One creationist was so bad with the rhetoric, that I made a Word Salad Generator for him in javascript:
http://oddmanin.net/wordsalad

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 3:42:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 3:43:55 PM PST
Hhahhahahar! I love the wordsalad idea!

And you reminded me of another one of my oft-repeated posts:
Intelligent Design is not science. Intelligent Design was created by the folks at the Discovery Institute as a means of attacking science. It is a PR strategy, and has no business being part of a science curriculum. I used to think that maybe it had a place in a Comparative Religions class, but once I found out about the Wedge Document (look it up on Wikipedia), I realized it doesn't even belong in a Comparative Religions class. It maybe belongs in a marketing class as an example of unethical marketing strategies.

Creationists start with the answer they want - that the world was literally created in 7 days and 7 nights, and then try to make the evidence conform to that. Darwin started with the evidence, and then sought to find an explanation for it.

Evolution does not disprove God. One can be both a theist and accept the evidence for evolution. In fact, one can be a Christian and accept the evidence for evolution. There is no good reason, in my opinion, why we should think we have to interpret the first chapter of Genesis literally.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 3:47:23 PM PST
Then there's this one:

The Bible is really cool in that it's a collection of writings from people who lived thousands of years ago and took the time to write down their thoughts and feelings about life - and their writing connects us to them - lets us see that people dealt with the same feelings that we deal with today - there's joy in those pages, and hope, and great love - there're stories of self-sacrifice and selflessness and courage - and there're also stories of obsession and greed and jealousy. And it's interesting, to me, to see how people dealt with all that stuff - as a society, and as individuals.

But there's a distinction made in the Bible between the "spirit" and the "letter." It says somewhere that "the letter killeth" - and I think when people interpret the Bible literally word-for-word they are killing the spirt, the essence, of its meaning. The Bible is chock full of symbolism. Interpreted literally, a lot of it just doesn't make any sense - it's full of contradictions and things that are just loopy. Interpreted literally, Revelations is a complete nightmare, and the Adam and Eve story has any sane person scratching her head, trying to make heads and tails of talking serpents and a rib turned into a woman and a Creator sending his creation to hell for doing what he made it capable of doing.

And sometimes it's really tempting to just throw the whole thing in the trash and be done with it - there is a lot of insanity displayed in that book - narrow-mindedness, rigidity, misogyny, tribal warfare, chaos and mayhem and rape and murder and hypocrisy - and I can understand without a doubt why people might hate it. But when I read that book what I see as a history major is the evolution and progress of society and mankind - gradually moving away from a god of war - a vengeful, angry, jealous anthropomorphic god - to God as, literally, Love. When I read the first chapter of Genesis I see the beauty of creation - I don't get hung up on the whole seven days and seven nights thing - I don't think that's to be interpreted literally - what I see is a creation made in God's image and likeness - beautiful and good and perfect. When I read the story of Adam and Eve, it's obvious to me that I'm reading an allegory. When I read the songs that David wrote I know I'm reading the words of a man who struggled with the same things I've struggled with in my life - I see his flaws and I see his mistakes and his victories, and I see him growing and maturing and I take comfort in that. Jesus' healings are evidence, for me, of the power of our thoughts, the power of love and good overcoming the challenges we all face - and they give me hope. Revelations is totally symbolic - in my mind, at least.

I think it's important to keep what we read in the Bible in context with the culture and times in which it was written - and to view the Bible as a work that's not static, but dynamic - that shows us a progression from beginning to end.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2012
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions