Crazy New Testament Directives

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 196 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:41:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 12:35:07 PM PDT
Celsus says:
FashionSense

>> And this is not a lie. It is not a lie of Quadratus' either.<<

No, it was more likely a lie of Eusebius, from whom we derive the quote.

>> This is documented real outside of the Bible evidence of the historicity of Jesus.<<

No, it is anything but. It is hearsay, reported by a Christian propagandist, with spurious overtones.

>> It is not a quote to slur against one bit . It is a bonafide statement. It is not made up.<<

On the contrary, it appears to be entirely without merit in respect to the historical Christ. Here is what the Catholic Encyclopedia has to say about Quadratus and his quote:

"The first of the Christian apologists. He is said by Eusebius (Chron. ad ann. Abrah. 2041, 124 A.D.) to have been a disciple of the Apostles (auditor apostolorum). He addressed a discourse to the Emperor Hadrian containing an apology for the Christian religion, during a visit which the latter made to Athens in 124 or 125. With the exception of a short passage quoted by Eusebius (Church History IV.3), this apology has entirely disappeared. Eusebius states (Chron.) incorrectly, however, that the appeal of Quadratus moved the emperor to issue a favourable edict. Because of the similarity of name some scholars have concluded (e.g. Bardenhewer, "Patrology", p. 40) that Quadratus the apologist is the same person as Quadratus, a prophet mentioned elsewhere by Eusebius (Church History III.37). The evidence, however, is too slight to be convincing. The later references to Quadratus in Jerome and the martyrologies are all based on Eusebius or are arbitrary enlargements of his account."

In other words, we don't even know if this Quadratus was a disciple of Christ, or some other prophet. Furthermore, Eusebius clearly was mistaken about the results of the speech given by Quadratus, meaning he may well have been mistaken about other aspects of this man, including the contents of his speech. Thirdly, Eusebius is a renown propagandist, who admitted: "We shall introduce into this history in general only those events which may be useful first to ourselves and afterwards to posterity."
(Ecclesiastical History, Vol. 8, chapter 2).

Finally, it is admitted that what we know about Quadratus is "all based on Eusebius or are arbitrary enlargements of his [Eusebius's] account." Enough said.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:30:32 AM PDT
Celsus says:
Fashionsense

I gather you have assessed the situation and concluded there is no point in responding with references for Quadratus, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, we have no surviving works from Quadratus; the only reference to him is by Eusebius, the notorious Christian propagandist of the 4th century, who purports to quote from him, as follows:

"But the works of our Saviour were always present, for they were genuine:-those that were healed, and those that were raised from the dead, who were seen not only when they were healed and when they were raised, but were also always present; and not merely while the Saviour was on earth, but also after his death, they were alive for quite a while, so that some of them lived even to our day."
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/quadratus.html

Secondly, notice the purported quote by Quadradus, made by Eusebius, says nothing about any `500 resurrected people', so whoever told you otherwise is lying.

Thirdly, Quadratus purportedly made this statement between the years 120 and 130 AD, meaning there was practically no chance anyone who had any contact with Christ was still alive at that time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:06:41 AM PDT
FashionSense says:
Celsus

If then you have not seen the reference then why were you calling it a lie. And I don't have to supply the reference for it, you can ever golook it up yourself for a change. You need to ever do some of the leg work to prove your views. But this is the reference. It is the fragment of Quadratus:

From the Apology for the Christian Religion.1

Our Saviour's works, moreover, were always present: for they were real, consisting of those who had been healed of their diseases, those who had been raised from the dead; who were not only seen whilst they were being healed and raised up, but were afterwards constantly present. Nor did they remain only during the sojourn of the Saviour on earth, but also a considerable time after His departure; and, indeed, some of them have survived even down to our own times.2

FashionSense; And this is not a lie. It is not a lie of Quadratus' either. This is documented real outside of the Bible evidence of the historicity of Jesus. It is not a quote to slur against one bit . It is a bonafide statement. It is not made up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:14:40 PM PDT
Celsus says:
Fashionsense

>Secondly, Quadratus spoke of it himself in his writings. Have you studied it yet? There is a fragment left of his writings in which he mentions these people and how many were still alive at the time of his writings.<

You are the one making the claim, so I expect you can supply the reference. I look forward to seeing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:01:04 PM PDT
FashionSense says:
Celsus

First off anyone who has lied is you. Secondly, Quadratus spoke of it himself in his writings. Have you studied it yet? There is a fragment left of his writings in which he mentions these people and how many were still alive at the time of his writings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:54:06 PM PDT
Celsus says:
FashionSense

>>Quadratus the first (one of the first) Christian apologists wrote of the 500 resurrected people and how some were still alive at the time of his writing about it.<<

Whatever apologist told you this lied. Quadratus did not write about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:18:03 AM PDT
FashionSense says:
Celsus

Quadratus the first (one of the first) Christian apologists wrote of the 500 resurrected people and how some were still alive at the time of his writing about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 1:10:00 PM PDT
The Weasel says:
Celsus says:
As messiahs go, Jesus left much to be desired.
Hearing that Yankee Stadium chant in my head now
"Over-rated" clap clap clap-clap-clap
"Over-rated" clap clap clap-clap-clap

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 1:08:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 1:08:50 PM PDT
I. Dunn says:
<<The surviving copies have errors and we know where they all are. Mostly typos in copying as you well know. >>

It was a minimum of 40 years between the end of Jesus and the first written story of his life. There are a lot of opportunities for "typos" in an oral tradition, some affecting important parts. For instance, what were Jesus's last words?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:56:46 PM PDT
Celsus says:
I Dunn

>>Hearsay which is still true and accurate.<<

True and accurate? So Matt's tale about the dead saints who crawled from their graves and strolled through Jerusalem is true and accurate? Three hours of darkness at mid-day during the crucifixion is true and accurate? The magic, low-lying and stationary star over Bethlehem is true and accurate? If so, then I expect you will be able to provide some extra-Biblical verification for these astounding events. I look forward to seeing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:15:46 PM PDT
I. Dunn says:
Celsus says:My parchment is no less credible than the anonymous hearsay otherwise known as the Gospels, for which we have no original documents, and the copies of which show a high degree of tampering.

Hearsay which is still true and accurate. The surviving copies have errors and we know where they all are. Mostly typos in copying as you well know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:10:47 PM PDT
Celsus says:
and...

My parchment is no less credible than the anonymous hearsay otherwise known as the Gospels, for which we have no original documents, and the copies of which show a high degree of tampering.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:11:35 AM PDT
you need to send that parchment to joe smith
his is missing

better
walk that parchment down to the local nuthouse and tell them what you got

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 9:00:34 PM PDT
Celsus says:
andthe...

>>my God is doing fine<<

I wish him all the best for his recovery.

>>your academy sux<<

It's not my academy. I assume it was founded and is run by supernatural beings of some sort. I only learned about it when an angel came to visit, and inadvertently dropped a parchment containing the information. I keep the original safely tucked away in my top dresser drawer, under my socks and underwear.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:39:10 PM PDT
my God is doing fine
your academy sux

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:30:16 PM PDT
Celsus says:
andthehorsesrearend

>>too smart by half for your own good then<<

Yep, and way smarter than your god, if his recent report from the Academy is anything to go by.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:24:29 PM PDT
too smart by half for your own good then

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:23:47 PM PDT
Celsus says:
andthehorsesrearend

No, I have no chance. My IQ is way too high, and full-frontal lobotomies are no longer available on demand.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:21:44 PM PDT
you have the same chance
reject it at your peril

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:21:02 PM PDT
Celsus says:
andthehorsesrearend

>>he followed his process
only way to give everyone a chance to escape punishment<<

Not everyone. He failed to allow for those with IQs above 80, or who have never undergone a full-frontal lobotomy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:03:40 PM PDT
no

he followed his process
only way to give everyone a chance to escape punishment

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:45:54 PM PDT
And why did Yahweh find it necessary to sacrifice his son? To change ~his own mind~ about sending everyone to Hell. Well, everybody except Elijah. It seems like an awfully sloppy way of altering one's own procedure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:09:01 PM PDT
>>>FashionSense says:
... Jesus was calling out the violations of human rights by calling the Canaanite woman a "dog". The Canaanites practiced child sacrifice. So it isn't wrong or bigotry to call them "dogs". <<<<

???!?!?!??

Soooooo.....lemme get this straight, FashionSense.

THE specific entity (Yahweh) in the ENTIRE universe (if we are to take at face value the claims of the Bible and the millions of Christians who regard it as their holy and 'perfect' book) who is MORE egregiously guilty of child sacrifice than ANY other entity who has ever existed is --according to you-- calling the Canaanites 'dogs'.................because the Canaanites 'practiced child sacrifice'.

?!?!?!

Huh?!?!?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 1:03:09 PM PDT
Celsus says:
tokolosi

I like your continuous random loop suggestion, but suggest adding to the list Whithey Houston's "I will always love you" and the Black Eyed Peas "I got a feeling".

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 12:27:28 PM PDT
tokolosi says:
Heck, ol' Yahweh Hisself sacrificed His Only Begotten Son...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  196
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions