Customer Discussions > Religion forum

abortion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 503 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2012 3:51:06 PM PDT
Author One says:
Junior (Volume 1) Why do men have no legal rights when it comes to abortion? If he wants his baby and the mother doesn't here is NOTHING the father can do!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 4:00:01 PM PDT
Sam says:
"Why do men have no legal rights when it comes to abortion?"

Because it isn't his body. Because the woman he impregnated is not his property.

Now, if medical science ever devises a procedure for the man to have the fetus transfered to his body, allowing him to carry the fetus to term himself and give birth to it, then maybe we can have a dialogue about whether or not the man has any legal rights.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 4:13:43 PM PDT
Author One says:
It's not his body but it's his child as well as the mother's isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 4:30:38 PM PDT
The Weasel says:
M. D. Harper says:
It's not his body but it's his child as well as the mother's isn't it?
He should negotiate a reasonable rental rate for the woman's uterus then. Figure a uterus has to be worth about the same as nicer 1-bdr apartment right -- after all utilities are covered as well as food and sanitation. So figure what? $1,000 a month rent to another $200 in HOA (UOA?) dues?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 4:32:45 PM PDT
Mr. Harper, Amazon has requested that authors promote their books in the designated forum, "Meet Our Authors."

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 4:41:14 PM PDT
Author One says:
I'm not so much promoting my book as I am having a discussion about a very important topic. I know plenty of would be fathers who are devastated about their child being aborted. Do their feelings deserve any attention? No they can't force a woman to carry their child but they deserve some consideration don't they???

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 4:48:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2012 8:11:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 4:57:05 PM PDT
I was referring to your little product link about your book.

What consideration would the man deserve?

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:08:04 PM PDT
Author One says:
My argument has nothing to do with property rights. If a man and a woman get married and plan a family, then the woman changes her mind about having a baby after she gets pregnant then aborts the child and tells her husband after the fact, that just seems wrong to me (and others). And to Rachel, the man should at least be told about the pregnancy BEFORE the abortion. Maybe he can talk her out of it or she can give her parental rights to the father. IT IS HIS CHILD AS WELL!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:12:13 PM PDT
Aardwizz says:
Let's reverse the argument, and see how fair you think it is:

He wants it aborted; she decides to keep it. Is this fair to him? Should he be able to take her to court to force her to abort it?

õ¿õ¬

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:12:29 PM PDT
The Weasel says:
Rachel Rebecca Riordan says:
I was referring to your little product link about your book.

What consideration would the man deserve?
I'm pretty sure he recommends that she buy his book before making a choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:14:52 PM PDT
The Weasel says:
Aardwizz says:
Let's reverse the argument, and see how fair you think it is:

He wants it aborted; she decides to keep it. Is this fair to him? Should he be able to take her to court to force her to abort it?

õ¿õ¬
No, no, no. That's what we have honor killings for.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:21:44 PM PDT
Author One says:
That's funny Rachel, but the book is doing well on its own. Back to the question asked, if the man doesn't want the child and the woman does he should not be able to force an abortion. Nor should he be able to force her to have his child if she doesn't want it. But shouldn't she at least be required to INFORM him of the pregnancy before she aborts?

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:30:06 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
M.D.Harper, that's one of the wonderful things about being a woman. If he doesn't like it, tough luck; we'll get him in court anyway, so we never worry.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:30:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2012 8:12:42 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:35:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 5:37:11 PM PDT
So if the woman decides not to buy his book and THEN she makes a choice??

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:35:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 5:36:09 PM PDT
Copy and paste of one of my own posts (from Astrin's "Is any truce even possible?" thread)"

I am pro-choice. I've always been pro-choice. I am not pro-abortion - but, who is really? Personally, I don't think I would ever choose to have one - but then, I've never had an unwanted pregnancy or been in a position where I had to make a decision about having one. When I was pregnant with each of my sons I saw the ultrasounds of their little hearts, saw their little hands and feet moving, saw the youngest one sucking on his umbilical cord - and those babies on the screen were very real and precious to me - even when all there was to see were their little beating hearts. I can understand the emotions the anti-choice people have about this issue. I can relate to those emotions.

But, having said that, I also know both my pregnancies were desired, that the pregnancies were not troublesome to my healthy peasant stock self, and both my sons were seen to be thriving, healthy, and whole in the womb. To force a woman to go through a pregnancy that will cause risk to her health or ... well, you know what? To force a woman to go through a pregnancy - no matter what her situation - is not my choice to make. It just isn't. In my mind, it's like looking at women as breeding machines, as objects, without any thought to their feelings and needs - and it's just wrong.

Maybe there should be some kind of boundary established - some kind of limit about aborting a viable fetus... I don't know... but I'd hate to see our country go back to that time in history when women were risking their lives to get abortions in back alleys.

Karen

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:36:33 PM PDT
M. D. Harper: But shouldn't she at least be required to INFORM him of the pregnancy before she aborts?

Rachel: Why? So he can try to coerce her in some way?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:39:31 PM PDT
M. D. Harper: And to Rachel, the man should at least be told about the pregnancy BEFORE the abortion. Maybe he can talk her out of it or she can give her parental rights to the father. IT IS HIS CHILD AS WELL!!

Rachel: Not really, except by genetics. Remember that, according to the law, possession takes precedence. When the man can carry a fetus to term, the man's wishes are secondary. Period.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:39:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 5:40:56 PM PDT
Author One says:
Susie is making my point. That's the law of the land, but I can't be the only person on here who thinks that is unfair, even if a practical solution doesn't exist.
Jack, one loving parent is better than none. If we aborted every child who didn't grow up in the best environment most of us would not be here. Abortion is way overused.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:41:10 PM PDT
The Weasel says:
Rachel Rebecca Riordan says:
So if the woman decides not to buy his book and THEN she makes a choice??
The MD Harper is outraged. And you know what that means.......Really silly thread at Amazon. If you women would just buy his book and make him wealthy we wouldn't have to waste any more time on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:42:41 PM PDT
I'm the proud mom of 2 great kids. Each pregnancy was tough, but the last one was REALLY hard! Each was a surprise, but I wouldn't change a thing. But I would never make a choice for another woman, ever. But in our male-first society, it's hard for a man to hear this, but it's true: the decision is the woman's.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:43:11 PM PDT
The Weasel says:
M. D. Harper says:
Abortion is way overused.
That's an interesting opinion. Based on what empirical evidence? Certainly not economic data or crime data. So, specifically, other than pulling that statement out of your butt -- what evidence do you present that abortion is "overused"?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:45:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 5:48:27 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
M.D. said: "susie is making my point."
------------
Then you misunderstood. Your "practical solutions" sound like whining because you don't have full control over the child from conception.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 5:46:40 PM PDT
Joe W says:
What exactly are you arguing what "rights" fathers should have in any practical sense. You want him to be told? Then what? He has veto power over the decisions she makes over her body?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  503
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions