Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Do Christians lack creativity in their own lives, because they worship "The Creator"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 109 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 10:34:12 AM PDT
Amy Hall says:
Why do you ask such inane questions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 6:07:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2012 6:15:00 AM PDT
Why do you have the need to vote ? What part does Christ living have to do with government?, that's just my plea to you, ..." Because I wanted a woman in as president" why do you think that way?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 8:12:40 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
One could also say, jpl, that Muslims have a lack of creativity because they're afraid to create images of human beings or, "heaven forbid" of Al-lah. In that sense, the fear of offending a deity, creativity would be severely retarded.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 7:45:33 PM PDT
jpl says:
Do Christians lack creativity in their own lives, because they worship "The Creator"?

jpl: It's not a matter of a lack of creativity. It's usually conditioning, the fear of death, or both.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:47:00 PM PDT
FashionSense says:
Susie Derkins

No I am very much a liberal in my politics. I have always either voted Democrat or Peace and Freedom. I voted for Obama and will vote for him again. But in the primarys in the last election I voted for Hillary Clinton because I wanted a woman in as President.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:42:23 PM PDT
And you as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:41:32 PM PDT
FashionSense says:
Fingers

God Bless You.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:40:50 PM PDT
"BTW, I was a theology student also. lol"

Really? I am surprised you aren't an "ordained minister". You can't swing a cat by the tail without hitting one around here.

These posts I have been making are basic stuff. A theology student would know this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:29:32 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
Fingers, you may want to read the guidelines, in the bottom right hand of this template. Even though you spend tons of money, one can still get banned.

BTW, I was a theology student also. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:27:13 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
Fashion, thank you. I thought you meant you were *politically* a left-wing liberal. So the way I understand then, is you are liberal in your methods, but not politically. I'm nit-picking; it doesn't matter. Thank you for your explanation, though.:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:24:27 PM PDT
"I as a Christian have given my time to take food to needy families, plus donated food and money to food charities. I have given countless amounts of items such as food, clothing, furniture, etc. to needy families. I have also as a Christian gone door-to-door to pray for people who were sick and wanted prayer and the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I have gone to hospitals and prayed with sick people with my Sunday afternoons after church then Sunday evening at church again to sing in the choir and then stay late at night to pray for people who had mental problems and such. This is just to name but a few. I feel as a liberal who believes in freedom of speech that a person who does art can say whatever they want to."

Fashion, this is exactly why I got into the ministry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:06:26 PM PDT
FashionSense says:
Susie Derkins

I can be a born-again Christian and a left-wing liberal because I feel that as a liberal who cares for those who are in need of help for food, hunger, clothing, etc. I as a Christian have given my time to take food to needy families, plus donated food and money to food charities. I have given countless amounts of items such as food, clothing, furniture, etc. to needy families. I have also as a Christian gone door-to-door to pray for people who were sick and wanted prayer and the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I have gone to hospitals and prayed with sick people with my Sunday afternoons after church then Sunday evening at church again to sing in the choir and then stay late at night to pray for people who had mental problems and such. This is just to name but a few. I feel as a liberal who believes in freedom of speech that a person who does art can say whatever they want to. So a Christian can do religious art if they want to or not. I as a liberal and a Christain can have the same views about things. As a liberal I care about people with mental health problems and as a Christian I prayed for them when they would come to me for prayer. As a Christian I also ran the food bank at our church and this united my liberal beliefs in helping others. But I believe that Christians can be from many political persuasions and be very good kind and charitable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 5:49:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 5:54:05 PM PDT
"Fingers, first of all, let's watch our blood pressure, kay? I have heart problems myself."

There's nothing wrong with my blood pressure, I am just telling you the truth, which is supposed to set you free.

"I told you, I used to be a Fundie."

Well, that explains a lot.

"Any theology student will tell you that."

Another mythical population, like Christians who believe that the Sabbath is on Sunday and Catholics who don't believe that the Pope is a theologian.

I was a theology student and I never said that. And I know a bunch of theology students who never said that.

"I don't want you to get banned. I was banned and it's no fun."

I'm not going to get banned, I am just telling you the truth and you think it's insulting. Besides, I spend tons of money here, I doubt they would want to lose my business over a difference of opinion. But you need to understand your own questions to understand my answers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 5:43:40 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
Fingers, first of all, let's watch our blood pressure, kay? I have heart problems myself.

Do you ever go online to those website where any scripture can be translated into another? You can input whatever version, and whichever text, and then click on the translation. It's pretty nifty, because there are so many versions which I didn't even know existed. The King James version is used by everybody, even now days. The Baptists use it, folks in the Nazarene church use. Folks in the Methodist church use it. I told you, I used to be a Fundie. Mostly older people use it and *refuse* to see other translations because it doesn't say what they want, the way they want it. They're even offended by the different wording.

Which comes to my point: we, as individuals, with our various ages, backgrounds and politics, give different meanings, therefore you cannot rely on scripture. Any theology student will tell you that. One version is like cliff notes, while the other version is for women only.

Enough already. I don't want you to get banned. I was banned and it's no fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 5:43:16 PM PDT
"It was the mythological gods and goddesses who ensured that God's truth was captured in the bible. And they lived out that truth in their own lives in this physical world.

Edgar Cayce was one of them. The great Osiris. Cayce stated that in a past life he was a guy by the name of Lucias who wrote The Acts Of The Apostles. Lucias got into a disagreement with Paul about the marriage rules for deacons. Lucias and some of the apostles were married."

Jeff, I appreciate the thought but stay off my side.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 5:40:06 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Fingers says:

[You don't know what the hell you are talking about and I hate wasing time on people who are so ignorant and closed minded.]

You're right she doesn't nor do many other people in these forums. They say things like the bible is wrong, Christianity stole ideas from mythology, and many other baseless and stupid things.

This happens sometimes with people. Doubt creeps into their mind.

Doubting the validity of the bible is one thing that happens.

Then they start thinking the Catholic Church is no good, etc..

Eventually they may believe things like Moses or even Christ never even existed, or if they did they were not who they claimed to be, etc..

Then they will search out authors who have written books that reinforce those wrong thoughts. People can always find books that tell them what they already believe and want to hear.

It's a downward spiral people get pulled into. I encounter people pretty much every day in these discussions who have been lead astray by this process.

Those are like the people Christ spoke about in the parable of the sower. Some of the seed fell on rocky soil, some got thrown in among thorn bushes, etc..

In the parable the seed represents Christ's words. The rocky soil, the birds that ate the seed, and the thorn bushes represent all of the many reasons why the truth does not take root in peoples' lives.

Still what you said was very helpful for me.

It was the mythological gods and goddesses who ensured that God's truth was captured in the bible. And they lived out that truth in their own lives in this physical world.

Edgar Cayce was one of them. The great Osiris. Cayce stated that in a past life he was a guy by the name of Lucias who wrote The Acts Of The Apostles. Lucias got into a disagreement with Paul about the marriage rules for deacons. Lucias and some of the apostles were married.

Jeff Marzano

The Lives of Edgar Cayce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 5:31:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 5:37:56 PM PDT
"The King James version is STILL USED in some churches."

Most notably the Anglican Church, since they published it.

"Setting aside differences in language, which is a good point, why are there still so many versions? NIV, NASB, NRS, The Message."

Some translations are what is known as "formal translations", that is to say, a word for word translation. Because of the difficulties in translating Greek and Hebrew literally to English, a formal translation is not always readable. Young's Literal Translation is a formal translation, and the syntax seems backwards at times. It's not very smooth reading, but if you really want to know what the Bible says word for word (more or less) that's the one to get.

The King James is a formal translation, so is the English Standard Version, but they are smoother reading than the YLT.

Dynamic translations are thought for thought translations that try to put you in the mind of the writer, not necessarily word for word. The NIV is a moderately dynamic translation.

Other Bibles are Paraphrases, like The Message.

The Jehovah's Witness New World Translation is garbage, it was doctored to match JW cult doctrine. Nancy thinks that indicts all Bible translations, but she doesn't know much about it.

"You're beating around the bush, which is your defense, and that's fine. BUt it tells me that your thinking is hanging by a loop, and you know it. Nobody has to mind-read. It's there in your posts. I wish you well, Fingers."

You don't know what the hell you are talking about and I hate wasting time on people who are so ignorant and closed minded. Nonetheless, there it is. Now you know why those translations exist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 5:17:49 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Susie, I know that's true about the Jehovah's Witness version of the Bible, because I've been going over it with my JW friends and there are lots of instances where they've changed a word to coincide with their belief system.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 5:14:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 5:16:21 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
The King James version is STILL USED in some churches. Every embroidery biblical quote is from that version.

Yet one denomination will use another version, and yet another denomination will use The Message.

Setting aside differences in language, which is a good point, why are there still so many versions? NIV, NASB, NRS, The Message. Catholic version. Jehovah's Witness version.

I'll tell you why, since you won't admit it. It's because WE give the book meaning. We edit it, change it, based on our own social and political policies.

You're beating around the bush, which is your defense, and that's fine. BUt it tells me that your thinking is hanging by a loop, and you know it. Nobody has to mind-read. It's there in your posts. I wish you well, Fingers.

p.s. it took me a long time to finally let go of religion, because like you, I was very afraid. BUt once I did, things became very hopeful. I hope you find it, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 5:05:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 5:07:48 PM PDT
"Fingers, my point is ask yourself *why* there are so many versions of the bible? Ever wonder why? Why is there a King James version, New Revised Standard Version (what happened to the old standard version, and why is there a need for a new one?)."

I don't need to ask myself, and I don't need to ask you. They are all different translations that appeared over time.

"Why was there a reason to not just stick with the King James' version?"

We don't speak Elizabethan English any longer?

Why is there a Geneva bible?

It was translated by a Protestant in Geneva Switzerland. Who cares?

"Why not just stick with the original English version?"

Is that the one that has Jesus speaking with a British accent?

There should be a logical fallacy for "distinction without a difference", because that's what you are committing here. These are all Bibles from different points in history, nothing more, nothing less.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 4:54:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 4:55:37 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
Fingers, my point is ask yourself *why* there are so many versions of the bible? Ever wonder why? Why is there a King James version, New Revised Standard Version (what happened to the old standard version, and why is there a need for a new one?).

Why is there a Geneva bible? or a Bishop's bible? Why do Catholics use different scripture than the Jehovah Witness?

Why? Doesn't matter which version. My point is WHY are there so many versions? Why was there a reason to not just stick with the King James' version? Why not just stick with the original English version?

Why are there so many versions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 4:10:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 4:13:15 PM PDT
"If you dare... if you DARE to check out the history of the bible, you'll see what others have seen."

I studied it in Seminary. Oh, I know, that was all propaganda and everything you say is true, I have heard it all before, all from people like you.

"It's a political and social piece of crap, although beautifully written, that has been edited based on the religious leaders of the time; that's why there are several versions of it."

I hear this all the time: what "versions" are you talking about? KJV? NRSV? Geneva Bible? Bishop's Bible? And how are they different? And anybody who judges an ancient work by 21st century standard is a fool, but there is no shortage of fools.

"And ask yourself, why are there so many religions?"

Because there is always somebody who thinks they know better. Like you.

"You're curious too about what it's like to believe there's no god. You want somebody to convince you, because you're arguing with your self. That is great because it means you're finally thinking critically."

Don't quit your day job, your mind reading skills suck. I have indeed wondered if there is a God, I am just not a bitter old lady.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 3:48:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 3:50:41 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
Afraid of the truth? Okay, Fingers, I know your posts, but am waiting on something so I'll chat with you.

I was a borned-agained, religious person who believed in God...hook, line, and sinker. Was convinced that was the truth and anyone else was misled. But Christianity doesn't work, because there is no God. Not in the sky, not in your heart, there is no kingdom, there is no need to praise him continually or praise the LOrd always, because there is no Lord.

If you dare... if you DARE to check out the history of the bible, you'll see what others have seen. It's a political and social piece of crap, although beautifully written, that has been edited based on the religious leaders of the time; that's why there are several versions of it.

And ask yourself, why are there so many religions? It's because people construct, and give meaning, to the religion of their choice because they make it up. They want to have this all-knowing parental figure that will tell them to replace the earthly one they had.

Afraid of the truth? No. Been through it, and came out the other side whole and happy. And you're searching too, I can tell because you're everywhere on this forum. You're curious too about what it's like to believe there's no god. You want somebody to convince you, because you're arguing with your self. That is great because it means you're finally thinking critically.

And that's the truth. (blpht!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 3:38:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 3:39:35 PM PDT
"Damage already, you've already been reported from the OP."

You must really be afraid of the truth. :-) That tickles me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 3:34:31 PM PDT
Amy Hall says:
Damage already, you've already been reported from the OP. Geesch. Just don't take things so personally. It's just a forum, not the kitchen table.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Jul 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions