Customer Discussions > Religion forum

The Pope, Manila, and Overpopulation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2012 4:59:50 AM PDT
I had a rather great taxi driver take me from downtown Manila to Antipolo and back one day. The next day he also took me out of Manila and back into Manila.

It was way too obvious to me that much of the third world is way too overpopulated. The drive was a continuous madhouse: people crossing the roads everywhere, filthy pollution spewing forth from a large amount of run down vehicles. Trash was everywhere. We had many long delays in traffic while we waited for cars and motorcycles to crowd their ways about the streets. It took a very long time to travel 40 kilometers.

The way I figure it, if the Pope were to drive a taxi in Manila and get his ass out of his little Pope Mobile in Rome, he would not think that world overpopulation had to with loving life. He could look at the starving street children and the poor living on cardboard boxes on the sidewalks among the garbage. I would not give him over an hour before, if he even had half a heart, he would take a few billion dollars from the church's coffers to begin worldwide family planning clinics. The absolute absurdity of the church's position in regard to helping people on planet sickens me.

If his position somehow relates to what "Jesus" said, I would like to know what it is:

Jesus said while entering Jerusalem, "Who gives a damn about starving kids? Just give money to the church. The planet will turn into a crispy rock in a few billion years anyhow." Anthony, Book Four, Verse 80,876.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 10:18:37 AM PDT
There is one (well, more than one) extremely unfortunate verse in the Bible-

"The poor will be with you always" or words to that effect. So, people have taken this to mean "You can't cure poverty, the Bible says so."

On the other hand, Jesus also said:

Matthew 25
41 "Then he will say to those on his left, `Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44 "They also will answer, `Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45 "He will reply, `Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

This shows the consequences of taking one line out of the Bible and following it literally (letter), while ignoring the meaning (spirit).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:32:17 PM PDT
libloon2 says:
Lawrence Holcomb says: //The absolute absurdity of the church's position in regard to helping people on planet sickens me.//

I think the church knows it, but is in denial. Since the pope made himself "infallible" in 1879-80, he just can't "change his mind".
The church "says" it's against birth control and abortion out of "respect for human life", and those actions cheapen human life.

My opinion is simply this: There is nothing that cheapens life more, than "too much of it". The "too many people" doesn't show up so much as "too many people", It shows up as a lack of something that people need: jobs, drinking water, irrigation water, energy source, food, etc. - Just my thoughts.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 8:56:12 PM PDT
Budgie says:
I always thought the Bible verse that gave the go-ahead to make babies as often as possible was "Be ye fruitful and multiply". Of course, this was after Yahweh just killed everyone on the planet except Noah and his family.

I think we can take that order off the "to do" list.

I agree that the Catholic Church's stance is hurtful. Opposing condom use in a country or continent ravaged by AIDS is downright criminal, IMO.

The best weapon against overpopulation is educating the populace and more specifically, educating the women. Studies have shown that when people become more educated, the level of religiosity drops. Churches don't want this to happen. They want butts in the pews and money in the collection plates.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 8:57:45 PM PDT
we have 6.5 bn people too many

the pope and the moslems think they will outbreed other religions to take over the world

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 9:00:06 PM PDT
put a big check mark in that box
the world is way past full
now it is being destroyed

we can sustain about 1/2 bn people

or we can have 10-15 bn living below stone age standard of living
before billions die from starvatin

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 11:39:26 PM PDT
Budgie says:
Actually, you're comment isn't too far-fetched.

I remember a TV documentary that explored what happened to the people of Easter Island. The anthropologist said they chose to worship their fertility god or goddess and their burgeoning population overwhelmed the land's ability to sustain them, resulting in mass starvation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 11:53:43 PM PDT
Trash was everywhere.
Safer to stick your head in their trash than to breathe our air and eat our food.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 4:40:51 PM PDT
Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 4:47:03 PM PDT
Hi Leonard M. Weisfeld:

I do not know where you live, but if you think the air is worse where you live than in Manila, you live in a very sad place. I am imagining the black exhaust spewing from every vehicle everywhere you drive.

I do a lot of my own cooking, a rather wholesome affair, and I can assure you it is much more pleasant to eat it than to stick one's head in the trash around Manila.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 5:17:12 PM PDT
Marcos says:
Lawrence,

I would venture to say the whole of the Phillipines is overpopulated. At the current rate of deforestation, 5% a year as reported in The Economist, they will have no forests in 20 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 10:37:43 PM PDT
then why isnt the island covered with skeletons ?

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 11:26:57 PM PDT
Budgie says:
Maybe they practiced cremation, rather than burying their dead, which would also explain why the island was also denuded of trees. I'm just guessing, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 3:19:22 AM PDT
Ah, the People on Easter Island cut down all their trees and could no longer sail. Bones do not last too long on tropical islands. It is hard to fish in the ocean if you do not have boats.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 3:22:46 AM PDT
Marcos:

You could be correct. Journalist are killed if they report about illegal logging. I do not know too much about how devastated the outlying islands are. There are 7,000 of them. Camigan Island, where I am now, is covered with trees.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 4:49:19 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Old cars don't last too long on tropical islands either; an older model dead car will mostly disappear in several years. Newer model cars, the glass, engine block, and transmission take a while longer to disappear.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 2:46:37 PM PDT
Marcos says:
I once traveled in Luzon from Subic Bay to Manila. There is a lot of beauty, but I did see quite a few naked mountains.

I also went to Zamboanga in Mindanao. I remember the air would be thick with smoke due to them burning their trash in the afternoons. The whole place had this stench in the air.

The pope doesn't get it. He thinks in terms of Europe, rather than in poor countries where Christianity is experiencing its growth in the 21st century. The Catholics should choose either a Latin American, African, or Filipino pope if they want someone who understands the problems of their believers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 3:55:33 PM PDT
bones last a very long time anywhere

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 3:08:36 AM PDT
Heh andthehorse...

Bones do not last long in the tropics at all. You need to get a clue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 3:15:03 AM PDT
Marcos:

I had to leave Camigan Island early because my leg was getting eaten alive by bacteria. Anyhow, I spoke with a woodworker who commented on an old and lovely hardwood tree in a waterfall park, and I never saw another tree like it. On the ferry ride away from the island, I saw coconut plantations and clear cut areas and so on on the sides of the volcanoes. It is no natural wonder in a primeval sense.

Posted on May 24, 2013 3:56:07 AM PDT
Bob Vargas says:
The Philippines' young population will be an asset to the growing old population in some "first world" countries. We will take care of your old folks with compassion and tender loving care.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 3:59:57 AM PDT
DRM says:
this was after Yahweh just killed everyone on the planet except Noah and his family.
-----------
Thank God for the New Testament and Jesus.

Wasn't that Totally Messed Up the way the Atheist Communists Killed Millions and Millions in the 20th Century?

You're not worked up about it because Your Religion is Atheism?

Oh.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 5:36:48 AM PDT
Bubba says:
You must not have ever visited Manila.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Jun 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions