Customer Discussions > Religion forum

What does Buddhism mean to you?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-258 of 258 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 30, 2011 12:42:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2011 12:45:11 AM PDT
Shirley G says:
A thought to ponder: An atheist once asked a Christian, "What if you die and find there is no God?" to which the Christian replied, "If I die and find there is no God, I have lost a lifetime." The Christian continued, "But when you die and find there IS a God, you'll have lost an eternity!"

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 1:21:41 AM PDT
Cheriphim says:
That joke got old two lifetimes ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 5:36:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2011 5:39:56 AM PDT
RR says:
SG,
"But when you die and find there IS a God, you'll have lost an eternity!"

I love the way some people create this dunce-god. There have been people through-out history who have never heard of this god, much less Christianity. Given your doctrine, this dunce-god either tortures or allows the torture of innocents. How very sick. He also tortures people who make decisions in good faith. How very proportional. Are your sure your dunce-god isn't ruling Syria right now? They are very big on torturing people there.

If there is a god, he'll be a Buddha. Always there to help sentient beings out of their confusion and suffering where ever they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 6:15:01 AM PDT
Ponger says:
But if you die and find you have been worshipping the wrong god you lose both your only life and eternity. Plus an atheist could not worship any god that would torture you forever for not beleiving in him; especially if you live a good life and treat your fellow man well.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 6:16:47 AM PDT
Cheriphim says:
Yeah, I would turn to a being free of conditioned existence instead of one stuck in a god-realm any day.

The very fact that "god" had to make things so...complicated...convoluted...and careless... for his "beloved children" demonstrates to me that he is still very, very dependent on his ego-centric, causal reality.

I have noted before that this god exemplifies the most negative aspects of humanity, but glorified.

Unconditional love, is, by definition, unconditional. Yet that is not what he offers us, is it?

No thank you.
Your reply to Cheriphim's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 9:17:44 AM PDT
Astrocat says:
Cheraphim, yes, I'll stick with the One Life that allows me all the leeway I need to grow and become and learn and incarnate as many times as needed to achieve the goal of enlightenment. Reincarnation on the Wheel of Rebirth doesn't last forever, and since we forget our past lives and can focus on the present one there's no angst or anguish over what might have been. And it is all arranged and put into motion by an impersonal force that still knows when a sparrow falls. Best of all possibilities.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 9:39:06 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
I finally began reading The Art of Happiness and find its message to be so compatible with what I've learned over the past thirty or so years that I'm just grinning from one page to the next. HHDL is a unique and amazing human being, and I'm delighted to be sharing the planet with him this time around.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 9:40:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 7, 2012 9:06:11 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1397 9 days ago
If Jesus was Jewish, why don't Jews beleive in Jesus? 3568 4 minutes ago
Dear theists, 5082 15 minutes ago
Happy easter 30 15 minutes ago
Is homosexuality a 'good thing' ? 9778 16 minutes ago
keep one change one started 10 October 2014 1580 18 minutes ago
Nosey Karen Wants to Know... 593 19 minutes ago
How would you stop a dangerous meme from spreading? 161 21 minutes ago
Prob the Woofer: Beyond the Chessboard 6340 23 minutes ago
The War on Wonen Continues Apace 9339 27 minutes ago
Another 10,000 Quotes... 4003 34 minutes ago
Asperger's and atheism 1889 38 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  258
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions