Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Religion is a Form of Psychosis

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 276-285 of 285 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:52:39 AM PDT
Jesus4us says:
pinoza says:

Simply an intelligent and reasonable position for a secular retailer who is merely interested in making a profit during the holiday season (let's not forget that everyone, including Christians, does the bulk of their retail spending starting right after Thanksgiving and up to the end of the year), rather than promoting a particular sectarian belief, and risk alienating their customer base.

For once, Steve and I are in complete agreement. Truly a miracle, the like of which may never again be seen by humankind. ;-)

spl: I was thinking the same thing! ;)

But, there are times when the term "xmas" is not used in a business context. There are those that use the term as a slight against Christians and Christianity, who cannot bring themselves to write the name "Christ" even as it is included in "Christmas". This begs the question, which was first? Was the use as a derogatory term, first? Or did those that were interested in not offending Jews and Moslems at Christmas start it, and those that dislike Christ jump on the opportunity to use it? Yeah, I'd say the latter, for sure!

And I'd guess you would have to include those that really don't have any agenda for choosing "xmas" over "Christmas", but just use the term "xmas" because of familiarity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 12:48:44 AM PDT
StevePL - "It's not a considerate gesture, that is just the disguise, the facade, a business tactic"

But I've seen it used by people who were not offering me any products for sale.

"It's simply an example showing that money is more important than Christ. "

The X *refers* to Christ, Steve.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:15:23 AM PDT
Spinoza says:
spl says:

Hmmm, neither really. It's not a considerate gesture, that is just the disguise, the facade, a business tactic. And it's not that anyone wants to openly insult Christianity by any means, for Christians spend money, too. It's simply an example showing that money is more important than Christ.

Spinoza says:

Christ never put any food on my table or paid the rent. Money is very important.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 12:50:28 PM PDT
"...and that the X actually *refers* to Christ"

Do they sell Christmas cards that read "Merry XMas"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 12:59:40 PM PDT
"Which is it, a considerate gesture in a pluralistic society, or an egregious insult to Christianity?"

Yes.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 1:08:10 PM PDT
Next up: BC vs BCE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 1:32:55 PM PDT
Cilantron - "Do they sell Christmas cards that read "Merry XMas"?

That's a pretty low bar to set. I'd wager you could get ninja Christmas cards if you tried hard enough. I found zombie Christmas ornaments last year.

Zazzle sells Xmas cards, though.

http://www.zazzle.com/merry+xmas+cards (warning - some are vulgar and/or tasteless)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 1:34:15 PM PDT
Bubba says:
10 Pack of Christmas Cards - "Merry Xmas"
Christ Back in Xmas

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:27:50 PM PDT
Jesus4us says:
Christ never put any food on my table or paid the rent. Money is very important.

spl: Actually, He did. Remember the loaves and fishes?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:31:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 7:33:09 PM PDT
Jesus4us says:
"It's simply an example showing that money is more important than Christ. "

The X *refers* to Christ, Steve.

spl: Yes, I guess it does, but it's not used by any Christians I've ever seen. Maybe there was some who used it with fondness, that the X was the cross or something. But I'd say that's in the small minority of usage. I'd say the large majority of usage is in either business policies, or derogatorily by atheists. I would be shocked, as a Crhistian, to see a Christian to use the term "xtian" or "xmas".
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  285
Initial post:  May 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions