Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

I REALLY wish that Atheists would just give it a rest...

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4701-4725 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 6:50:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 1, 2012 7:17:20 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:08:41 AM PDT
King's Kid says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:16:11 AM PDT
Theo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:16:52 AM PDT
Theo says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:18:37 AM PDT
Theo says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:26:43 AM PDT
You take the carny cigar. I'll stick with logic. Why don't you do what Gawd tells you to do in Ezekial 4:12?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:35:37 AM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Mick: If he was a god then he couldn't die.

Response: Actually lots of gods die. Don't you know that Zeus came into power by killing his father Cronus.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:43:11 AM PDT
King's Kid says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 8:06:55 AM PDT
"M A- I don't know of anyone that would want a state religion except for perhaps the Muslims."

A vocal minority of *Christians* are the ones trying to take or withhold rights from my fellow citizens, substitute myth for science, and other dangers to our society. A vocal minority of *Christians* comprise the Dominionist movement, and other such movements who seek to tear down the wall of separation between church and State.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:51:00 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
AxeGrrl sez:
He and Paganini can fight it out ;)
======
Ah yes, I had forgotten about Niccolo. Liszt, also, was accused of Satanic connections, from time to time.

Paganini, at least, was another guitar player. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:52:54 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
Theo sez:
he set aside his deity
======
What, he left it on his dresser when he went to work in the morning?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:55:14 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
Theo sez:
many atheists interfere with civil/human rights. Just go to any communist country.
======
You don't have to do that. Come to Oregon and just walk down the street in front of my house while drinking a beer and see what happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:57:01 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
King's Kid sez:
Your supposed ignorance of the trinity is telling.
======
Your supposing that I am ignorant of the trinity is telling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:57:49 PM PDT
MJO,

No, though anyone who believed in "evil" might want to interpret it that way. Contemporary thinking would indicate that such a percentage of atrocities was due to lack of empathy. "Lack of empathy" is a scientifically useful term since it implies physiological (i.e., neurological) structures and functions that can be detected and, eventually, altered to influence the behavior of individuals.

And, "no" for another reason: we established that "free will" might be evident in only about 0.3% of an individual's behavior, on average. "Evil" free will would, reasonably, be considered a subset of all "free will" and should, on that basis, be consistently less than said percentage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:58:54 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
King's Kid sez:
Round and round H goes, what he's saying no one knows.
======
Of course making pithy comments are much easier then actually addressing the logical contradiction of omniscience with free will. Clearly you haven't ever thought deeply on this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:01:23 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
King's Kid sez:
Well, He either did or He didn't, make up your mind.
======
Actually, the ball's in your court, since I don't claim that he had these miraculous powers in anything other than myth.

But if you aren't ready to have a substantive discussion now, why don't you take some time off and come back when you are ready?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:02:52 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
King's Kid sez:
You will sin, you have sinned, there's no way for you to avoid sinning.
======
Then Christianity is completely pointless.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:03:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 1:23:59 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:21:12 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
MaryAnn H. sez:
It was probably the Devil.
======
Or unprotected cybersex.

Next time, MJO, make sure you wear one of these:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/4463/Cyber+Sex+Condom/

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 1:23:26 PM PDT
Humans are hardwired to believe. It is the way our brain works. The scientific method is a cruel mistress, but it is mankind's greatest achievement.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:43:56 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
Theo sez:
God did not create sin but he allows it. He does not interfere with our freewill.
======
Then Jesus could not possibly have died for future sins. If we have free will he couldn't possible have known whether we were going to sin or not, or what those sins might be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:04:04 PM PDT
Dr H says:
------
King's Kid sez:
He was both God and man.
======
Excellent! Was like pulling teeth, but you finally said it.

So, since he was *God* and man, then there was no sacrifice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:17:18 PM PDT
Irish Lace says:
RDF: "How do you explain telling people 'I do not believe in something' if there is nothing to believe in in the first place?"

Me: "do you believe Santa Claus exists? The Tooth Fairy? Voldemort? Superman? If the answer is "no," ask yourself why. There you go. That's how it's done. "

RDF: "Santa Clause & Tooth Fairy: Those are imaginary figures used to tell lies to children."

Me: So, it appears, is "God." In the absence of evidence that "God" exists, "God" is no more real than Santa.

RDF: "I bet the atheists still celebrate at Christmas and exchange gifts! or at least some other holiday that could be construed as "religious".

Me: I certainly do! I'm part of my community and it's fun. It is quite simple to celebrate Christmas without any necessity to believe Jesus was god. I also celebrate St. Patrick's day because I'm Irish and weekends because I have a full-time career.

RDF: "Point still is why a debate over something you do not even think is possible/visible/animate/alive/etc.?";

Me: Because the vast majority of my fellow travelers believe these magical creatures exist and wish to impose them or their rules on me and mine. If we don't argue, fight, counter, refuse to accept, we could find ourselves in a Handmaid's Tale. Or worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:25:01 PM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"The scientific method is a cruel mistress, but it is mankind's greatest achievement"

Bears repeating... so I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:28:43 PM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"The Invisible and The NON-EXISTENT look very much alike. "

I have noticed that!
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1552 15 days ago
Is Crooked Hillary the Choice for Atheists because she is Crooked? Loves Aborting Baby Girls? Trashed the Women who Told The Truth About Impeached Cheating Bill? Or is it her Amoral Awkwardness that Attracts the Atheists To Crooked Hillary? 150 1 hour ago
Why did those who are now atheists leave Christianity? 4102 1 hour ago
Famous Scientists Who Believed In God 57 1 hour ago
Is Atheism and Secular Humanism Irreparably Corrupt? 387 2 hours ago
Jesus probably didn't exist. Brian Bethune in response to Bart Ehrhman 2858 2 hours ago
A thread about theology. Not a thread about whether or not God exists. 2126 3 hours ago
Legalize Prostitution? Yes or No? 161 3 hours ago
One-sentence Nonsense Deepities for Fun and Prophet 72 4 hours ago
Another 10,000 Quotes... 6894 4 hours ago
Love 3 5 hours ago
Shroud of Turin: For the doubting Thomases? 9700 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  242
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions