Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Where do Dinosaurs fit into religion?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 140 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 17, 2012 11:47:07 AM PDT
Jawwaad says:
I'm not aware of any of the 3 major religious texts ever speaking about dinosaurs in them. Science tells us that dinosaurs existed but why no mention of them in these texts?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 11:56:21 AM PDT
Dinosaurs aren't religious. They are animals without spiritual understanding. They are extinct too. So they don't fit anywhere. :P

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 12:00:13 PM PDT
The Bible was written for the salvation of humanity. For instance, it reads in Genesis: God set things up for the human family. He created the human family. They put themselves on a course for eventual doom and brought up universal legal issues that needed to be settled. God set out to deal with these issues and cause an eventual salvation for the human race.

So there was no reason to get into dinosaurs since they were not a necessary part of that exposition.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 12:02:01 PM PDT
Jawwaad says:
I understand they aren't religious but I would think that they would have been mentioned in some sort of way.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 12:06:09 PM PDT
I know. I was being facetious. Apologies.

Let me know if the explanation I gave after that is enough for you. It is an interesting subject.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 12:09:26 PM PDT
Jawwaad says:
No problem Dan. I've always wondered about this. Like the story of the creation of the earth in Genesis. I understand that the 7 days were not like our days but it seems that humans and Dinosaurs would have coexisted with each other but science tells us different.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 12:12:26 PM PDT
Some of my True Christian™ associates tell me dinosaurs coexisted with humans and were drowned in the 'Flood'. Others that the fossils where planted by god to test us. One of them says the bible speaks of them when it talks about dragons (KJV), sorry I don't remember where that is, offhand.
Funnily enough, I thought unicorns were the only species lost in the 'Flood'!
The Unicorn

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 12:15:10 PM PDT
Chet Fakir says:
Actually dinosaurs are still with us. Today we call them birds.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 12:15:49 PM PDT
D. Mulhollen says:
Carl Linnaeus did not begin cataloguing species until the 1730s. Modern paleontology did not begin until a century later. Dinosaurs were not mentioned in the Bible because the authors did not realize they existed--nor did they have any reason to. Even as a history book, the Bible is shaky, at best. Why expect it to be the encyclopedia of human knowledge it can never be? At best, it can be a source of inspiration and comfort. Bibliomancy, asking a question and then flipping to a random biblical passage, can be a fun parlor game. There are bits of wisdom scattered around. And it does give some interesting insights into the ancient mind. Expecting more is unrealistic.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 12:16:12 PM PDT
MsLadyLib says:
Might as well ask why potholders aren't mentioned. Actually, that would make more sense -- it's possible the people who wrote the words were acquainted with potholders, but highly unlikely they ever heard of dinosaurs.

Sorry, this is not the right conversation for me; you may easily guess I am not a fundamentalist, nor do I read the Bible as if every word were based in fact, or was dictated by the Almighty.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 12:22:15 PM PDT
Well, there is nothing in the Bible that I've ever seen that could give one cause to conclude that they might or might not have coexisted since they aren't mentioned at all.

There is however, cause to hope that we will someday know. Jesus said in John 5, Paul mentioned in Act 24:15, and John was authorized to reveal that there would be a resurrection of people living in those days as well as all other times in human history. Not only will we be able to piece together a lot of history that is foggy at best in terms of genealogy but also the places, animals and events and settings of those bygone days. In that way Judgment Day should be very exciting.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 12:43:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2012 12:59:22 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 1:09:42 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
,.-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:11:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2012 2:33:53 PM PDT
"Where do Dinosaurs fit into religion"

Usually, they get the top jobs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:20:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2012 12:59:27 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:26:18 PM PDT
libloon2 says:
Jawwaad says: //Like the story of the creation of the earth in Genesis.//

It gets more interesting: Think of Noah putting one of each sex (Dinosaurs) on the Ark.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:27:51 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:29:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2012 2:33:24 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:30:51 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:32:53 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:37:19 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
Hi, Jack -

You asked:

> What is ",.-)" supposed to mean or convey to me?
> I thought it was an emoticon at first.
> Are you a cyclops
> with a pimple in between your eye and eyebrow
> smiling at me?

It's an emoticon: a one-eyed wink, perhaps. Or a wink that's covered by an eye patch.

See the thread titled "Prob the Woofer: Beyond the Chessboard" for some background. Admittedly eccentric.

,.-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 2:58:20 PM PDT
Re original post: Since dinosaurs were unknown to the storytellers who constructed the bible, there is no mention of them there. Nor of fossils, conservation of momentum and energy, and a gazillion other bits of lore that we have subsequently discovered and now take for granted.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 3:03:26 PM PDT

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 3:07:40 AM PDT
Theo says:
They fit in Genesis 1:1&2.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:11:49 PM PDT
MsLadyLib says:
Yes, Theo, in the void! :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  140
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions