Customer Discussions > Religion forum

"I do not know this guy Behe. Should I?"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 170 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 10:06:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 10:09:27 PM PST
'probabilist says:
On another thread, a poster from outside the U.S. asked, "I do not know this guy Behe. Should I?"

If you want to respond to that question, here is a thread for you to do it in.

,.-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:09:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:33:29 AM PST
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: He's a biochemist whose claims and views have been rejected by the faculty of his university to the extent that there's an official disclaimer on the university biology department's web site. His claims have been debunked... repeatedly. When given the chance to defend his claims in person, he was unable to do so, even going to far as to admit that his definition of science would be so loose as to include astrology as science.

His ideas are taken seriously only by Creationists... and particularly science-illiterate Creationists at that.

[Correction]: That should have read "He's a biochemist...", not "He's a biologist..." I didn't proofread, so my fingers were on automatic. Thanks for the catch, MH

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:09:59 PM PST
'probabilist says:
Aye. Well said.

'prob

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:44:20 PM PST
Re Altarriba and probabilist, above: Agreed. Entirely. See the transcript and decision in Kitzmiller v. Dover School Board (findable with Google) for more than adequate evidence that Behe has the brains of a pet rock.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:57:55 PM PST
Lessfatman says:
The guy who cancelled evolution?
..next!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:04:17 PM PST
What do you think of Stephen Meyer's book, "signature in the cell"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:38:01 PM PST
Re Goff, above: I read some reviews of the thing to see what it is about. The basic problem with this, or any other thesis involving "intelligent design", is that there is no algorithm for identifying what is "intelligent", as opposed to the result of natural processes. Furthermore, the idea begs the question: if there is intelligent design, what is the designer, and what designed it? Finally, any thesis involving "intelligent design" is irrefutable: there is no way to demonstrate that it did not happen, and it can be shown that an irrefutable thesis can convey no information. Which makes the whole idea useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:58:49 AM PST
>Longer answer: He's a biologist

He's actually a biochemist.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:10:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:11:17 AM PST
Here is a short biography of Michael Behe
http://www.lehigh.edu/~inbios/faculty/behe.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:31:39 AM PST
"What do you think of Stephen Meyer's book, "signature in the cell"?"

It's a long combination of "Argument From Personal Incredulity" (i.e. "I can't believe it could have happened without a Designer... so it didn't.") and misunderstandings of probability & information theory.

It is without any actual merit whatsoever.

An excellent analysis: http://www.asa3online.org/Book/page/3/
Another excellent analysis (in progress): http://sfmatheson.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20Reviews

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:56:04 AM PST
Behe has nothing of any value to say. I've read one of his books and it's worthless pseudo-science, characterized by an ideological bias, trying to make the facts fit the preconceived conclusions, poorly thought-out ideas, and lack of rigorous thinking.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:08:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 8:12:11 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:11:30 AM PST
Oh there are definitely people who agree with him, many people in fact. They share the same lack of rigorous thinking, poorly though-out ideas, ideological bias, trying to make the facts fit the preconceived conclusions.....

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:14:29 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:16:11 AM PST
Some people mistake science for religion, it's scientists for priests, and the declaration of scientists for holy writ. They think that "Because a PhD says so..." is the basis of science.

They could not possible be more wrong.

When it comes to science, what matters is evidence and reasoning, and not authority or titles.

Behe's ideas are without merit. The fact that he has a PhD is irrelevant to that... what needs to be "blackened" is the idea that "Because Behe says so" should carry any weight whatsoever.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:17:35 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:20:05 AM PST
It's called: people expressing their opinions of someone who has put himself out there with books making big claims about the natural world.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:20:29 AM PST
So you agree with Behe?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:20:54 AM PST
Ariex says:
Clarissa says: "Behe presumably has friends somewhere; people who agree with him."

Ariex: Of course he does. After all, religion is a profitible business and apologetics supports that business. However, that, too, speaks to Behe's character, and that of his "friends".

Clarissa says: "After the first few threads, blackening his name serves no purpose and is just a bandwagon exercise."

Ariex: On this one, I agree with you. Why kill an ant with a sledge hammer and keep on beating the greasy spot?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:21:57 AM PST
No other ants in the vicinity to kill?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:23:32 AM PST
Ariex says:
Clarissa says: "This thread should have been called " Too bad he's not here to defend himself, but let's have a ball in criticizing Behe."

Ariex: He couldn't defend himself in a court of law when his ideas were put on trial, so why should we expect him to do any better here? In fact, his personal failure to support his own claims led directly to the court's decision against allowing "intelligent design" to be taught in classrooms.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:24:35 AM PST
Ariex says:
Michael Altarriba says: "Behe's ideas are without merit. The fact that he has a PhD is irrelevant to that... what needs to be "blackened" is the idea that "Because Behe says so" should carry any weight whatsoever."

Ariex: That needs to be emphasized for those who depend on "arguments from authority".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:27:43 AM PST
Ariex says:
arpard fazakas says: "No other ants in the vicinity to kill?"

Ariex: Indeed. Science PhD.s who support creationism in any form are a rare breed, and IMO (most of them, anyway) , prostituting their education for the money and status gained from a religious following.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:28:38 AM PST
We'll turn them all into grease spots!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:29:05 AM PST
Clarissa, what is it, exactly, that you are objecting to?

Do you understand Behe's ideas, and believe they have merit?

Do you understand the difference between a rejection of Behe's ideas, and a rejection of Behe as a person?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1354 11 hours ago
Dear atheists, 9046 9 minutes ago
What do the terms "almost atheist" and "almost theist" mean to you? 169 11 minutes ago
goblue says: I can prove theism true. 789 13 minutes ago
Science II 4904 29 minutes ago
Dear theists, 1495 29 minutes ago
The War on Wonen Continues Apace 8781 40 minutes ago
What if God is... ? 255 41 minutes ago
Should Catholic Bishops Deny Communion to Public Officials Who Support Same-Sex Marriage? 73 48 minutes ago
Is homosexuality a 'good thing' ? 6391 52 minutes ago
If Jesus was Jewish, why don't Jews beleive in Jesus? 1794 56 minutes ago
Realism 344 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions