Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Scientology, Mormonism, and the Jehovah's Witnesses

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2011 5:19:43 AM PST
Ambulocetus says:
Is there anything good whatsoever about any of these psychotic-seeming, proselytizing belief systems? Anything at all? Or are they all just elaborate and profitable Ponzi schemes based on fairy tales?

Second question: is it wrong to put all three of these faith traditions in the same bin? Are they all equally bad?

Third question: are there particular ways in which these three should-I-call-them-cults are better or worse than more mainstream religions like Christianity, Judaism, and Buddhism?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 2:17:53 PM PST
W. ANDERSON says:
Dear Daniel Dickson-LaPrade;

While Scientology and Mormonism do not follow the Bible, Jehovah's Witnesses do.

A number of people have noted that Jehovah's Witnesses are primitive Christians or early Christians, we believe and practice Christianity as it is taught in the Bible and not as it has developed through church traditions into the form it has today in the churches.

As any one with any spiritual awareness knows, we are living in the last days and we are seeing the fulfillment of the prophecies Jesus made in Matthew the 24 chapter. A key part of what Jesus stated would happen in our day was;

"And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14)

Jesus stated that in our time, his followers would be preaching the kingdom message earth wide and that is what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing, obeying the command that Jesus gave. Empowered by the holy spirit, directed by angels and backed by Jehovah God and Jesus Christ, Jehovah's Witnesses are preaching the kingdom good news earth wide in every country on earth. The Watchtower has a monthly printing over 42 million in 194 languages and is distributed door to door, earth wide and the Watchtower is only part of what we use at the door. What Jesus said, has been fulfilled.

"but YOU will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon YOU, and YOU will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Ju·de′a and Sa·mar′i·a and to the most distant part of the earth."" (Acts 1:8)
All true followers of Jesus listen to the what the Bible tells us to do as followers of Jesus, and what it tell us is;

". . .preach the word, be at it urgently . . . do [the] work of an evangelizer, fully accomplish your ministry." (2 Timothy 4:2-5)

Clearly if Jesus has any who are truly following him today, it would be Jehovah's Witnesses, since to be a real follower of him, you would have to have a "primitive" form of Christianity, and you would have to follow his commands to preach the kingdom message.

Sincerely Yours; Wm Scott Anderson

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 3:05:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2011 11:01:26 PM PST
'probabilist says:
Stone Soup can be a good survival mechanism for a community.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 2:53:04 PM PDT
'probabilist says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 3:03:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 3:08:12 PM PDT
Anderson sez:
"While Scientology and Mormonism do not follow the Bible, Jehovah's Witnesses do."

Ah, Here we go! Them other guys is evil and run by satan. But my cult is the True Christians. Evvybuddy else is a'goin to Hayull!
It's true that scientology is one giant con job to fill somebody's pockets. But who cares about the abundance of "christian" sects.

But wait. Did I mention giant con jobs to fill pockets? Maybe I should rethink the "christian" sects remark.
I sure hope Jesus has a great sense of humor.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 3:23:58 PM PDT
The Weasel says:
Buddhism respects all life -- to to point of being silly in fact (try building a house without killing earthworms).

So, as a philosophy I'd say Buddhism has the edge as religions, no, they are all equally valid or invalid as you see fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 3:35:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 3:38:38 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Answer one yes

Answer two yes

Answer three yes with qualificaitons that it si not a simple matter of being better or worse. Each indivisualy may be better in some ways to each indicivual variety of Chrisianity, Judaiasm and Buddhism. And each individually may be worse in some ways to each individual varoiety of Christianty, Judasim and Buddhism.

I consider your first statement both dogmatic and simplistic Daniel.

It tells us more about you than ti does about any religion you are putting down.

If you want to criticize religoins, don't just make inflammatory remarks, based on what you think relgions are llike.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 3:37:55 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
I thiink you understand Anderson's position very clearly conserv.

I did not even have to read Anderson's post to know what s/he would say.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 5:23:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 5:25:00 PM PDT
S. Friedman says:
Personally, not only do I not see much difference between the three, I don't see much difference between those three and the big three you list.

As an outsider to all religious belief, I don't see mainstream religions as anything more than cults that succeeded.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 7:26:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 7:27:04 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
Q1.....Some good can come out of religion and there is always a grain of truth in any religion, conspiracy or cult. Otherwise, they would be much easier to debunk.

Q2.....I don't think they are all equally bad or good. Some are more extreme than others. The Peoples Temple cult was far more dangerous than mainstream Christianity for example.

Q3.....They are only seen as cults because they are the new kids on the block and represent a possible threat to the older established religions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 8:12:15 PM PDT
apples oranges and kumquats

none good but not equal by a long shot

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 1:43:36 AM PDT
B.NASH says:
Is there anything good whatsoever about any of these psychotic-seeming, proselytizing belief systems? Anything at all? Or are they all just elaborate and profitable Ponzi schemes based on fairy tales?

bnash says- No there isn't anything good about these cults. They're every bit as ridiculous and psychotic as mainstream christianity.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 3:04:46 AM PDT
B. Josephson says:
I never knew a religion could be psychotic. I thought that only human beings could suffer from psychoses.

I guess I must have missed something in those psychology books.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 7:41:04 PM PDT
conservalibertarian's post:
I sure hope Jesus has a great sense of humor.
====================
He does. The LDS world view.....

7 Thus came the voice of the Lord unto me, saying: All who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God;
8 Also all that shall die henceforth without a knowledge of it, who would have received it with all their hearts, shall be heirs of that kingdom;
9 For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts.

Yours in Christ, Brother Niv

temples.lds.org

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 9:14:15 AM PDT
Let's say you're an atheist and you have an 18-year-old son. One day, your son says to you:
A) "I've just beome an Episcopalean." How do you respond?
B) "I've just beome an Scientologist." How do you respond?
C) "I've just beome an Buddhist." How do you respond?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 9:14:43 AM PDT
Amy Hall says:
I don't understand why these three religions are "psychotic-seeming", as stated in the OP, as compared with all religious beliefs.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 9:20:35 AM PDT
depends
get out of my house
get out of my house

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 5:23:38 PM PDT
S. Friedman says:
A) OK, well I don't recognize the truth of it, but I hope it works out for you.
B) OK, well I don't recognize the truth of it, but I hope it works out for you.
C) OK, well I don't recognize the truth of it, but I hope it works out for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 10:43:58 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
I wouldn't have a problem with my child becoming a Buddhist, in fact at least one of my daughters has embraced that system. In fact, she had also experimented with Scientology and had to walk out on them and then fend off their advances for a while afterward.

Episcopalianism is, as far as I can see, just a more comfortable version of Catholicism, socially acceptable but not very spiritually oriented. More traditional type religion without any real commitment.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 10:53:57 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Hmm, not my idea of a good role model.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 10:54:52 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Much much much better example of a role model.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 11:54:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 11:59:05 PM PDT
zanara says:
a. I hope you find what you seek
b. I hope you have a bucket load of cash to give them while they brainwash you
c. Om

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 12:46:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012 12:47:24 AM PDT
Lj3d says:
Cilantron says:
Let's say you're an atheist and you have an 18-year-old son. One day, your son says to you:
A) "I've just beome an Episcopalean." How do you respond?
B) "I've just beome an Scientologist." How do you respond?
C) "I've just beome an Buddhist." How do you respond?

Lj3d: Your an adult now, that's your choice and I hope it works out for you. That would come after raising him to respect all beliefs or lack thereof. It wouldn't be perfect and I'm not immune to dissapointment at my Son not following in my footsteps. But I would still want my child to make their own decisions upon becoming an adult, and to do so without undue fear of repercussion.

I've never had kids so I know there will be some who think because I never had kids, I have no idea what it entails. For them, bear in mind I was a kid once.

BTW, I'm agnostic.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions