Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 7:55:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 9:46:15 AM PST
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

P.S. I did not create this list. It was in general circulation with no author credited. It was too good not to share.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:36:34 PM PST
Quit spamming

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:47:32 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:40:21 PM PST
Jenn D. says:
Great post. True, funny and sad all in one.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:58:48 PM PST
Ahh, the Christmas holidays again. And we see some of our more sanctimonious relations again who are seemingly invisible the rest of the year. And when they remind us again that they're praying for us, isn't it special, knowing they're intimately connected to multiple organizations who devoutly believe the grounds of Mr. Ludikee's point number (4).

>>4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

And that would be why this post isn't spam, it's a road sign for all those of us who know there are certain steps impossible to retrace, but on the look-out for new escapees who need to find the next way station.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:53:06 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Have you noticed, Horsie, that your automatic protests against criticisms of religion NEVER have any effect whatsoever?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:27:43 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:48:47 PM PST
Michael Altarriba: Quit spamming

Chuck: I don't think posting in separate forums a topic that is on target for both constitutes "spamming." I wanted to see how it would be responded to in both, but different, forums. Plus, being an antitheist I didn't want to pass up an easy opportunity to expose the stupidity of their particular form of superstition.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 5:33:07 AM PST
andthe...,

... and some theists are just slimey [sic] bullies and will keep posting...

The main difference is that atheists tend to press an unbiased regard for reality, while theists tend to press for foregone conclusions that support their myths and fantasies. Reality presses one toward pragmatic and meaningful goals; myths and fantasies make one a victim to others' purposes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 10:53:33 AM PST
I enjoyed your post, Chuck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 12:35:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 12:35:51 PM PST
This is doing much better on the Chrisitan Forum. I have not checked the Atheist Forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 12:52:50 PM PST
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 1:47:36 PM PST
For what it's worth: there are a lot of really nice fundamentalist Christians out there. Some of the ones who post on amazon put them in an undeserved bad light.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:53:05 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Mrs. Exp. is one of the first kind, as far as I can see. The others I won't mention.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:54:30 PM PST
Yes, and there are some other nice ones too. It's almost as if they were trying to be like Jesus!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:56:41 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Arpard, I think we sometimes forget that there are some very Christian Christians. I know quite a few. One of my daughters and a granddaughter, some of my neighbors - people who really are trying to be like their "saviour". More power to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:58:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 2:58:47 PM PST
Agree.

Now if only they would stop trying to convert me....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 3:03:27 PM PST
Astrocat says:
I know. However, my family members know better, because I was ordained in a spiritualist church and have written enough books on my spiritual path that they're all quite aware of where I've come from and where I'm headed. And they know that no longer includes any extant religion.

The Jehovah's Witnesses who come to visit have also come to that conclusion. I enjoy both women, and consider them my friends, and so we finally hit on a compromise. !! Get this!! I don't tell them what I think about their beliefs, and they explain to me where those beliefs come from. But it's okay, I'm learning a lot and there's absolutely no danger of any conversion on my part!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 3:41:29 PM PST
Agree that sometimes it can be enjoyable to just listen. Most people are complicated and interesting, IMO. It's a rare conversation that won't teach you something new.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:32:04 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Arpard, it took me many years to learn the beautiful fact that listening is more often the way to learn than not. The "sound of the silence" so often speaks louder than words.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 8:00:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 8:01:06 PM PST
Yog-Sothoth says:
Chuck: "I don't think posting in separate forums a topic that is on target for both constitutes 'spamming.'"

You are correct. "Spamming" is the unsolicited/unwanted advertising or promotion of a product, usually for the benefit of the poster.

What you are doing is correctly termed "Trolling" - the intentional posting of controversial and/or outrageous statements for no other reason than to elicit responses, the more outraged and angry, the better. Again, this is done usually to benefit the poster (undoubtedly to counter feelings of unimportance, low self-esteen or inadequacy)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:54:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 4:52:56 AM PST
Yog-Sothoth: What you are doing is correctly termed "Trolling" - the intentional posting of controversial and/or outrageous statements for no other reason than to elicit responses, the more outraged and angry, the better.

Chuck: You did a good job with the definition, but I'm afraid it is so general that it would fit half the posts. Many are controversial by the very nature that they are being put forth for debate, as in this case. The list was certainly not outrageous, just true and not very flattering. As for seeking "outraged and angry" responses from the OP, that was not the goal but wasn't unexpected.

Yog-Sothoth: Again, this is done usually to benefit the poster (undoubtedly to counter feelings of unimportance, low self-esteen or inadequacy)

Chuck: It seems if wanting an "outraged and angry" response from a post constitutes trolling, your definition comes from personal experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:55:22 AM PST
Agree. I often forget this to my regret.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:46:37 PM PST
Yog-Sothoth says:
Chuck: "...your definition comes from personal experience."

No. It is based on years of observation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:21:22 PM PST
Chuck: "...your definition comes from personal experience."

Yog-Sothoth: No. It is based on years of observation.

Chuck: Well it seems you're gifted at it. It must just come naturally to you. You call a person a troll and strongly suggest the person has a need "to counter feelings of unimportance, low self-esteem or inadequacy," but then claim your actions don't meet your own definition of trying to provoke an "outraged and angry" response. I think the technical term for what you're suffering from is called transference.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1223 20 days ago
Debunking the Non-Religion of Atheism 277 1 minute ago
Anybody got any good news? 352 10 minutes ago
Slowly through the Book of Job - Part 5 459 11 minutes ago
The case for New Atheist "rationality"? 196 20 minutes ago
Science II 3290 26 minutes ago
Does study reveal that women are *still* not insulted by the insinuation that they are too fragile to risk the pain of being rejected by men 80 29 minutes ago
Why, believer or not, you seek a Monotheistic God. 20 48 minutes ago
There is no such thing as "free will" 606 52 minutes ago
Generalizations about the religious and non-religious 410 55 minutes ago
Atheists - Muslims ... not much difference there 284 1 hour ago
Christians who believe in Jesus 369 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions