Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Islam's Justification

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 11:22:17 PM PDT
Judaism has a duly-entered/noted/proclaimed/recorded Covenant(at Sinai) between God and Israel. I wonder how Islam gets around this? Do they think they have a Covenant now between God and them? Is the Koran covenantal, in the sense that there's a new covenant referred to there? If Islam is not covenantal, what is it?- i.e. is it just Mohamad saying that he received messages from "they", and so just accept it? How do Muslims expect to compete with our Sinaitic covenant? What's their best argument? At least Xanity tries to base their hijaking on our covenant. Islam seems to NOT be based on any LEGAL instrumentation(such as the covenant at Sinai/Moab). Am I right? Then how do they expect to argue with Xians and Jews who come out of a covenant perspective?

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 2:05:59 AM PDT
Jack Vix says:
LAG: he recieved messages from "they", and so just accept it?

JV: Isn't that just like the bible? And what do you expect, attention to veracity from a religion? And what kind of odd detail to focus on. Obviously God has a covenant with every religion exclusively. Yeah, they thought God was on a smoking mountain. Ignorant superstitious people thinking a volcano acting is suggestive of a deity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 5:42:31 AM PDT
Re original post: Islam has exactly as much justification as any other religion: none whatever. It is entirely based on Muhammad's fraudulent claim that Allan's angel had given him various revelations of holy writ. As does anyone trying to establish a new religion, he incorporated various pieces of earlier religious belief (in this case, Judaism and Christianity) in his texts. So, Islam is not covenantal -- it is "do as I say, and you get paradise; if not, you get the fire." (Authoritarian, if you like.) The Qur'an is almost entirely prescriptive rather than descriptive, so it is trickier to find errors in it -- but errors there are, and two of them are real stinkers:
- Its toleration of slavery.
- The prohibition of interest on money loaned. This latter has an egregious effect on economic development: any investor must take an equity position in a venture, whether he wishes to or not. (This prohibition is much ignored; even in Saudi Arabia, if you buy a car on time, you will pay a lot more for it than if you buy it for cash. Actual interest rates approach 20%.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:28:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 12:33:12 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
Who Wrote the Bible?
by Richard Elliott Friedman

Economics of Good and Evil: The Quest for Economic Meaning from Gilgamesh to Wall Street
by Tomas Sedlacek

Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World
by Nicholas Ostler

The History of Ancient Israel
by Michael Grant

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:31:02 PM PDT
It's all part of the Greater Covenant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:49:28 PM PDT
Roeselare says:
Robert, men love their heroes. The women just go along, hoping that men will be more civil with their heroes than without them.

As a man, you don't immediately see the big picture. And if you can't see it in Mohammedism, you won't see it elsewhere in Jesus worship etc.

It's better for everyone when men are domesticated. This is the genius of religion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:23:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 1:34:29 PM PDT
'probabilist says:
werranth413 says:

> It's better for everyone when men are domesticated.
> This is the genius of religion.

Hmmmmm...

,.-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:51:49 PM PDT
Domenico says:
Islamic Dictionary. It's different in meanings...

It's all about Mohammed; if the guy liked something it's Permitted=Halal
If the guy didn't like something it's Forbidden=Haram

His whims are the definition of Good and Evil and there is no Right and Wrong...
only Permitted and Forbidden.

For a great while I used to amuse myself by reading the "scholars'' answers to poor, confused souls who would ask the most bizarre questions... just to be able to leave in peace:

--- How to make a cellphone pure ?

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/21057

--- Is it allowed to give away my child to my older brother without my wife's consent?

http://www.askimam.org/public/cat_fatwa_details/60

Now I don't consider any of it amusing; Just very, very sad.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:49:41 PM PDT
too bad mohammeds parents didnt practice al izl

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:16:35 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
The Prophet Muhammad got it straight from Allah, often in the presence of his "favorite wife," Aisha Bakr, who was six years old when he married her. He was fifty and she was, by some accounts, also his neice.

The Prophet stated that Aisha was a gift to him from Allah. That might have caused some hurt feelings in the harem among his other wives and concubines. Their feelings on the subject haven't been recorded.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 8:19:11 AM PDT
'probabilist says:
'Al-Biruni was a pioneer in the study of comparative religion. He studied Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, and other religions. He treated religions objectively, striving to understand them on their own terms rather than trying to prove them wrong. His underlying concept was that all cultures are at least distant relatives of all other cultures because they are all human constructs.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biruni

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 10:01:48 AM PDT
HFTM, please explain what you mean by "Greater Covenant"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 10:20:27 AM PDT
"His whims are the definition of Good and Evil and there is no Right and Wrong...
only Permitted and Forbidden."

Reminds me of kosher food.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 3:08:20 PM PDT
I'd like a Muslim to comment here on this!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:46:50 AM PST
Islam and Christianity share in their understanding of God as just and merciful. And and they can if they chose come together against the idolatry of the world.....
http://mercyandmessiah.blogspot.ca/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 8:00:35 AM PST
Ariex says:
Jesse D. Hove says: "Islam and Christianity share in their understanding of God as just and merciful."

Ariex: Well, that explains why both religions have a history of violent and bloody repression of any who don't follow the teachings of "God". God is love, so kill the infidels. Or, one of my favorites, the large parade banner carried by a group of Muslims recently, "Behead all those who say Islam is a violent religion".

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:52:06 AM PST
B-Jak says:
Just shows you really don't need one to believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 9:22:10 AM PST
Ruth says:
"Or, one of my favorites, the large parade banner carried by a group of Muslims recently, "Behead all those who say Islam is a violent religion"."

..no way. is this for real?? it's not just a joke based on 'behead all those who insult the prophet'?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:48:53 PM PST
That is the exact opposite of what I would argue......Both the Quran and the Bible teach pacifism.....the Quran specfically would argue for self defense only if it means protecting innocent people, and has to be based on communal consent:
http://mercyandmessiah.blogspot.ca/2012/11/does-allah-support-violence-and-invasion.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:25:36 PM PST
Moses and Muhammad are the two most evil charecters to have ever existed. Any "covenant" that has anything to do with either of these two false prophets is a BIG mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:49:21 AM PST
No matter who God chooses, we as humans will envitably fail. Would you rather God choose no one? I don't see how you see Muhammad as evil though....he did a lot of good in his time and context. I think after Christianity becomes a Christendom and after the fourth rightly guided Caliph in Islam things go down hill.....

http://mercyandmessiah.blogspot.ca/2012/11/when-christianity-and-islam-go-wrong.html
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1525 7 days ago
Science predicts a supreme being 1624 1 minute ago
Is this how religions start? 186 1 minute ago
How Can I Find the True Religion? 1636 7 minutes ago
Should we ban the indoctrination and brainwashing of children by religions? Is it child abuse? 508 22 minutes ago
The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is now an official religion 125 24 minutes ago
How can you prove that life is not an illusion/dream 237 28 minutes ago
keep one change one started 10 October 2014 4065 44 minutes ago
The wonderful message of atheism 5733 48 minutes ago
MUST READ!!! - All the signs show that Barack Obama really is the Anti-Christ . 157 51 minutes ago
If a deity commanded you to sacrifice yourself, would you do it? 8 1 hour ago
Doc's holistic Sunday School 236 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  May 31, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions