Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Religious Fiction forum

Christian Suspense/Drama with Romance

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2007 10:12:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2007 5:22:18 PM PDT
I find what is usually called Christian Romance Fiction to be too sappy for me most of the time and the women characters too helpless. They don't seem real to me.

I've really been getting into Christian Suspense/Romance and Christian Dramatic Fiction. Usually the female characters are strong and are waiting for the godly man the Lord has ordained for them.

I especially like Hannah Alexander (Christian Medical Thrillers), Gayle Roper's Seaside Series (Christian Romanic Suspense), Terri Blackstock's "Cape Refuge," and Karen Kingsbury's "A Time To Dance" (Christian Dramatic Fiction). I'm very excited about Susan May Warren, having just read her "Expect The Sunrise," a Team Hope novel about Alaskan bush pilot Andee MacLeod and FBI agent Stirling "Mac" McRae. It's a great read!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2007 9:48:14 PM PDT
Hi Nike! I've been all over the forum tonight but I had to say again that "You should try "Scream of the Falcon" by RA Winters. It is a really exciting page turner. A great story that is meant for people who enjoy romance, high adventure, warfare and the like without all the smut. This new author has given adult christian readers a wonderful new addition to Christian Fantasy (think CS Lewis). This isn't child's play though, so working moms and dads alike (whether they work at home or in the workplace) can enjoy a story at the end of their day which moves along the lines of some of the best fantasy movies and books of our time without offending the doctrine of Christ. Think "Robin Hood" meets "Tristan & Isolde" with a pinch of "Narnia" and "Lord of the Rings" thrown in. Oh and by the way don't let the jacket "blurb" fool you - to me the publisher must have had a hard time summing up the richness of this book. The blurb didn't do the story justice! It caught my eye because of the cover picture and then the writing inside the pages. I was hooked as soon as I read an excerpt from the book. The author has a website too www.rawinters.com - its a really cool site for us Fantasy "nerds"." ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2007 2:50:03 PM PDT
Susan says:
Hi Nike. You might enjoy either The Assignment or The Encounter by Susan Grogan available on Amazon - both are Christian Suspense with Romance involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2007 6:33:52 AM PDT
Thanks Calf Mommy. "Scream of the Falcon" sounds great. We're going on a short vacation soon, over the 4th of July and my birthday falls while we'll be away. I know I'm gettting a book order to take w/me as a present. I'll pass along this title. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2007 6:36:10 AM PDT
Thanks Susan, for the suggestions. I'm going to look up Susan Grogan on Amazon. As I mentioned to Calf Mom in another post, we're soon going away (over 4th of July and my b'day w/fall while we're away) and I know I'm getting a book order to take w/me. So, I'll pass "The Assignment" and "The Encounter" along...and maybe I'll get them to take w/me. Thx again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2007 4:37:01 PM PDT
S. Datria says:
You might also like Ransomed Dreams by Amy Wallace. It is more of a crime drama (think CSI). I really enjoyed this book and she has two more in the series coming out...I can't wait!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2008 9:11:56 PM PST
Taylor says:
Try "Endless Love" by ELizabeth A. Ryan - it is a Christian Romance with the main character a guy. Read the reviews on amazon.com - you will not be disappointed in this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008 9:00:28 AM PST
Thanks. I'm going to bookmark it.

My DH got me a bunch of books for Christmas. Some Steeple Hill suspense novels, a Tim Downs mystery and a few secular writers who don't get to obnoxious and who write terrific detective stories.

What are you reading now?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 12:04:56 AM PST
Karen Norris says:
Blackstock is one of my favorites! I LOVE Cape Refuge I read all 4 books a while back withing a month, her Newpoint 911 series is also very good... I've tried to read Kingsbury (or at least one of hers) and it was to "girly" for me, but maybe I should give it another try when I have time. I also LOVE Dee Henderson, I've read all the O'Malley books along with just about everything else she's done... I haven't tried some of the others you've listed but will put them on a list to check out... as I said in another post I'll have completed my Masters by this coming summer and can get back to my pleasure reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 9:24:21 AM PST
Sorry to reply to this so late. I just logged on to "Heart Chocolate" which is Amy Wallace's web site. What a great site!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 9:35:01 AM PST
I read one book in her Newpoint 911 series and yes, it was compelling. I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2009 5:23:31 PM PDT
Castle Lover says:
I suggest Sons of God by Rebecca Ellen Kurtz. It's the first of a five novel series. It's not listed as Christian fiction, but she's a Christian and it is evident within her writing. Some have said it's like Lord of the Rings but based on Biblical supernatural entities and prophecies about the rising of the N'filim before the final battle of Armageddon. It reminds me of Peretti and his writings on spiritual warfare.

The protagonist is a righteous N'filim female warrior of God (descendant of an angel and human written of in the Bible) who hunts down her fallen brethren with her brother. She makes her living as a treasure hunter but must return to Nineveh where an archaeological dig has stirred up some mysterious supernatural deaths.

All supernatural entities are ones that would be found in the Bible. Her N'filim live according to the Old Covenant laws but still cast out demons by the name of Jesus Christ. The book is a warning based on the author's own experiences of demonic deception - when she trusted signs and wonders rather than relying solely on the Holy Spirit's guidance. Her relationship with God suffered until she realized it wasn't God who had been giving the supernatural signs.

There is a passionate romance but it's a subplot and the protagonist is committed to purity. It's an exciting read and very hard to put down once you've started. It's a romantic supernatural thriller.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2011 5:58:13 AM PST
This sounds so intersting, Sons of God.

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 11:14:09 PM PST
Iola says:
Nike
This is one of my favourite genres as well. I've read all of the authors in your original post, as well as Dee Henderson (suggested above). Have you tried Irene Hannon or Diann Mills? Irene Hannon's Against All Odds (Heroes of Quantico Series, Book 1) is currently a free Kindle download (also available free at www.koboreads.com), so you don't even have to pay to try. I think the freebie is to promote her new book, Fatal Judgement. My favourite Diann Mills is Breach of Trust (Call of Duty Series, Book 1). I also like Mindy Starns Clark, but hers have less romance than the authors you've named.

Who else have you 'discovered in this area?

Iola

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 5:53:39 PM PST
Iola, Thx for letting me know. I just purchased Against All Odds for free.

I've been reading some straight crime fiction. Loved J. Mark Bertrand's Back On Murder. His hero Roland March can stand against any NY Times best selling hero in a detective series.

Also read Steven James The Knight. Excellent writing, top of the craft, but it's a bit grusome as it's about a terrible serial killer. If you like serial killer psychological thrillers, this is your story.

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 10:24:07 PM PST
Iola says:
Hmm, not really into the gruesome stuff, but if you don't mind that, have you tried Don Brown (not to be confused with the Da Vinci Code guy). He writes Christian JAG novels - start with Treason (Navy Justice, Book 1). His latest is The Malaga Affair, which I also downloaded for free, but haven't read yet.

Thanks for the suggestion of J Mark Bertrand. I'll have a look. I read Beguiled, the one he co-wrote with Deeanne Gist, and although it was quite good, it was quite a change from Gist's usual historical romance, and I don't really think it 'worked', if you know what I mean. But I haven't tried any of his solo books.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 5:53:02 PM PST
I've heard of the Don Brown novels. I'll see if Malta Affair is still being offered for free.

You can't go wrong w/the J. Mark Bertrand novel. Also there's Sibella Giorella. Her Raliegh Harmon series is great.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2011 7:12:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2011 7:13:23 PM PST
This is shameless self-promotion. My breakout novel, BURNING HEARTS (Desert Breeze Publishing) will be out in ebook format in May, 20011.

It's a historical novel set in 1946 on the Great South Bay of Long Island, NY. An arsonist has killed a woman by setting fire to her house. The heroine runs into the house and tries to save her but is over powered by smoke and heat. The hero, a US Amry WWII veteran and former Army Ranger arrives in time to rush into the inferno and get the woman out, but she dies at the hospital. The arsonist/murder then begins an elaborate plan to frame the hero.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 8:17:24 AM PST
The female characters in the Synagogue Savant are strong and capable. You might find them interesting.

From the Back Cover
Three groups of extremists chase a powerful symbol of Jewish nationalism across the Atlantic and throughout modern day Israel. Set in 1910, the Zionist movement, resisted by Arabs, driven by Jewish hardliners, and supported by Christian groups, is growing in influence. An aging, world-travelled businessman, an orphaned craftsman, and a beautiful young woman resist the forces struggling over Palestine and find excitement, purpose, and love.

The culmination of a lifetime of work by a South Georgia rabbi and his orphan protégé is stolen from a hidden workshop. Their gold re-creation of the ark and mercy seat is sought by three competing groups: An American-based Messianic Jewish secret society known as the Synagogue Savants, an extremist Zionist organization called the Am Ha-Aron, and an Arabic group named The Brotherhood of the Jihad. As control of the ark changes from group to group, the geo-political, religious, and historical forces are played out in a race to Jerusalem and then an escape to America. Drawn into the intrigue of prophecy and cross-cultural conflict, an unlikely friendship develops between two men, a Christian bond is cemented that transcends conflicting religions for two women, and the deepening love of a man and a woman drives the adventure to a suspenseful conclusion.

The Synagogue Savant raises questions and exposes possibilities that are issues a hundred years later in a modern day world dominated by religious fanaticism and political terrorism.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 2:57:34 PM PST
I enjoy Brandilly Collins, and I have two romantic suspense, Last Resort and Southern Superstitions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 9:06:14 PM PST
Alex says:
Women of the Passion: a novel This novel is about strong women who followed Jesus after His Crucifixion. There are three marriages described in the book with a sweet relationship between young Miriam and Cleopas. The persecution by Herod provides the drama as the women help organize services, interact with the other disciples and realizing their danger plan to escape from Jerusalem. The book explores what Mary Magdalene, Joanna and Susanna were thinking and feeling while interacting with the menacing Romans and Herod's soldiers. Excellent research by the author about the First Century customs and the conditions of Jerusalem at that time augments the writing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 2:15:12 AM PST
Maybe you should also try, Shadows of Time be me, Crystal Mary Lindsey.

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 8:49:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 19, 2012 11:11:48 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:24:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 3:25:32 PM PST
Jacob Neff says:
Runaway Choices

If you are looking for good Christian Fiction with a MC who isn't all sappy and helpless... You should check out Runaway Choices! Just released today! In fact, it's so new to the system, Amazon hasn't put the product information up yet. But I found it on the authors website

:Here is the information on the book: Runaway Choices - A Christian Speculative Fiction Novel

Everyone runs from their past; Beck has it mastered. She's been running for so long, stopping is a foreign concept. With her conning skills and wits at the ready, she's on a plane to London, free of charge.

Beck believes everything is going as planned, but when reality twists on its axis, she soon wonders whose plan? Teaming up with the gorgeous bellhop, Colin, is a no brainer, especially when they discover their connections are anything but accidental.

In their quest for answers, both are confronted with the demons of their pasts. Beck panics and does what comes naturally -- runs. However, she's not only running from herself, but from the superhuman who has made it his life's goal to track her down and either remove her from the equation or convince her to join him.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 12:10:55 AM PDT
Craig says:
wow mom

One Nation Under?: Das unheimliche

Hello Nike,
I am a huge fan of this new kid by the name of Giles Key who has a series of books called One Nation Under? and I find that those books have Adventure, suspense, intrigue, mystery, and a sprinkle of romance. A co-worker of mine told me about his books and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the depth of storytelling that each volume contains. Both have governments that are at the brink of war with the American public and the main characters are caught in the middle with questions of loyalty, family, religion, and duty. I believe you will become a fan of his once you read the first book.

Cheers,
Craig Williamson
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religious Fiction forum (29 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religious Fiction forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  May 1, 2007
Latest post:  May 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions