Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Rhythm and Blues forum

The definition of "Soul' music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 426-438 of 438 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2008 6:31:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2008 6:37:59 PM PDT
The love fest on this formerly acrimonious thread is touching! Get your concert lighters out peeps...I love you all!

At the moment anyway :D

I reserve the right to lash out if necessary :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ghEdTra4Ks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2008 10:47:54 PM PDT
Lade says:
Great posting Brown Eyes - One tends to forget that prior to all the psychic stuff, Dionne could at one time really "pull a wicked choone" (Porter). Your post made me search out and play both Love Power (her duet with Jeffrey Osborne), Whisper in the Dark and I'll Never Love This Way Again - great Dionne Warwick songs - I'd forgotten I had them. So sorry about the missing quotes!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u9Pq36vy7B4

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2008 11:03:22 PM PDT
Lade says:
Jay - you're either in your 20's like I used to sing for The Temptations - or way too mature, like the fifth grader with a moustache and hairy chest. I think you're just trying to get the women to like you. And it's working! Just be warned - if you have a job, are in a relationship, or really enjoy your sleep - they will probably all suffer somewhat - cos time at The Forum passes too quickly, the company is great, the wealth of knowledge is amazing and the friendships real enough to keep you logging in over and over again. I was kidding about the Tempts of course - welcome! Here's a song for you too -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J3lcIlWralk

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 5:52:50 AM PDT
Andy B says:
Oh man Jay! You on point! In fact I mentioned the same point in another thread about "what's missing from today's R&B" - the influence of gospel and church singing is clear in early R&B and Soul. In this thread I even settled on the definition that Soul is Gospel with secular lyrics.

I also think you made a good point that today's singers are just copying what they see on TV but not really studying the art. The only thing about your post is that it focuses mainly on the singers - I am not sure if we can confine Soul to just the singing. Even gospel has a distinct musical style.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 8:12:23 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
CAKE?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 8:29:02 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
BEG,
That song really tugs at my heart strings ...
What a classic with four of my all time favs
Classic arrangement with four musical geniuses
Now that's entertainment!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 8:39:15 AM PDT
cookiessoul says:
There was some kind of cake... something chocolate I think, that you make... and considered bringing to TT? Didn't know if you could carry it on the train. Back when Media was talking about Crunchy Feet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 5:26:37 PM PDT
Hey Lade

Thanks for the welcome :-)....Im the 5th grader with the moustache and hairy chest....lol...but I m here to learn more....Im glad I found a forum were I fit LOL.....im the musical misfit of my generation LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 5:46:11 PM PDT
Andy B...Hi

Gospel does have a distinct musical style.....I believe the main distinction would be..."theres no boundries in the participants technique" being one who LIVED in the church ALL my "young" lol life....I 've observed not only singers...whose techniqe was SICKIN'.....as they would say, but the MUSICIANS.....I mean thats a BIG PART of it.....skilled musicians, real instruments, great chord changes.....along with the singing......also the connection with the audience, if you sang in the church YOU KNOW HOW TO CONNECT WITH THE PEOPLE....you know how to get the people to jump up and down, you know how to get the people to cry.........pretty much thats all you had back than were people coming straight off the "gopsel highway" or those chitlin circuts and goin straight into the "secular" world to sing ... also, nobody copied ANYBODY....u developed your OWN STYLE and TECHNIQUE.....thats why the Impact on music was so great back than.........not only singers, but musicians too.........

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 7:58:22 AM PDT
70s Soul says:
Bumped this up to keep THIS discussion out of the 'Song Titles' thread.

Happy reading, jimmy!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:20:57 PM PDT
Lade says:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!! Dont do it Jimmy! We want this thread to just fade to the bottom lol. Yikes 70s.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:22:09 PM PDT
Lade says:
There was a FOUR year gap!! Why you have to do that?! Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 7:18:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 7:19:53 AM PDT
cookiessoul says:
Hard to believe this was over 4 years ago!!! Where have the years gone!
‹ Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rhythm and Blues forum (840 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
R&B Forum..."This n That".... 5714 10 hours ago
Song Titles 4549 13 hours ago
What's in your player right now? 735 2 days ago
Song of the Day 307 4 days ago
Mind-blowing Instrumentals 169 4 days ago
Obits 179 8 days ago
Gimme Five 1155 13 days ago
Soul Oddities 5 19 days ago
Your must have, make you feel good songs! 6758 19 days ago
Soul Music: Don't tell anybody, but I always hated...? 114 21 days ago
Headline News 89 23 days ago
Heard today 1887 Jan 9, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rhythm and Blues forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  438
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions