Customer Discussions > Rhythm and Blues forum

R&B Forum..."This n That"....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2009 9:06:28 AM PDT
mediaagent says:
for those moments when we talk about pop culture, news, anything related to R&B or whatever...cause we have been know to go off course based on talking about an artist, song, childhood memories.

Let's see how this turns out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 9:22:10 AM PDT
collette says:
Media,
Good idea. Was thinking about the old "What about you?" post. Wish we could copy and paste some of the comments on Heard Today post.
Hey Media, you are off today and have fab computer and typing skills. Wanna undertake that (not sure if it will work)? It is frustrating to look for a post and not be able to find it.

Draggin my wagon today. Open House last night. Wish I were off. About to drop. Kids have some tests so have a little down time.

Enjoy your day off.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 9:33:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2009 12:13:27 PM PDT
Andy B says:
It's nice to have this thread - I wanted to bring up something but couldn't find an appropriate thread and I didn't really want to start a new one. I brought it up in the "Song Review" thread but it didn't really fit so here it is:

Have any of you heard of Naturally 7? I saw those guys on Jay Leno on Wednesday night - man they were good! They are a cross between Take 6 and Bobby McFerrin. You can catch some of their performances on the Web. Interestingly they just released their 3rd album. They are apparently well known in Europe but not yet in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 9:45:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 20, 2009 9:47:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 10:07:17 AM PDT
mediaagent says:
Andy,

I saw a bit of it and I was wondering who they were. I thought they were great! Thanks for the tip regarding finding them on the web. I didn't know what their names were.

OK, fam. I'm glad we are on this side. Should have started a thread long ago. We always wind up veering off on another subject! lol!

BB,

What's going on? You deleting posts? Not sure which thread to join? LOL!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 10:08:18 AM PDT
mediaagent says:
Co,

Do you mean bump the what about you thread? yeah, when I get a moment. See at least you can remember where the hell we originally posted stuff. I usually forget.

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 10:17:17 AM PDT
mediaagent says:
Kev brought up Nat King Cole on Heard today thread...

I was watching an American Masters episode about Mr. Cole. One, didn't know he was a Pisces, but what I found fascinating was that my favorite song by him "L-O-V-E" was sung while he had lung cancer. The man still sounded the same.

His phrasing was impeccable! And although other countries knew he was butchering their language when he sung in their language, the fact that he took the effort to try to sing to them in their native tongue and made such beautiful music, secured their love for him and his music even more.

Love, love, love Nat King Cole!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 10:28:36 AM PDT
BrooklynBorn says:
Exactly Media, I didn't know which to post on. LOL! I had posted a response to your virtual assistant post. I will send it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 10:29:39 AM PDT
BrooklynBorn says:
Media, as Oprah says, I think I just had a light bulb moment. LOL! I've always been curious about virtual assistants and if that's something I would be interested in doing. And in all the time I've had the opportunity to work from home, today is the very first time I've taken advantage of it. And I tell you, it's kind of cool. It's probably the freedom that I am enjoying most. So running my own business from home might be even better. I don't know. Is this something you would definitely return to if the business & clients were available?

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 10:30:56 AM PDT
BrooklynBorn says:
Yeah, I love that Nat Cole American Masters. I've seen it a few times.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 11:06:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2009 11:06:56 AM PDT
mediaagent says:
BB,

Yes, I would. Honestly it is harder because you have to constantly market yourself. I'm not an expert, but it worked for me only because of the VP's and Directors I worked for. See what I did was break off into it as they knew that I was taking a leave in going back to school. I suggested it to one of my guys as a joke, and he said "you know what, my wife needs someone to help her with some things". I'll let her know that you can be available to schedule some things for her on your days off from class"...

That's how it happened.

Now mind you, my other half had been after me to do this for years. He's been trying to get me to focus on one of the many things I like to do: I like to paint, decorate, cook, create visual journals (did I tell you I'm in a book that came out last year? They used one of my vision boards as an example)...but I always shied away from it. He's like, can we make some money? lol!!!

But being an assistant was not a bad thing, but I had broke away from it. I was more of an office manager/data coordinator after my post 9/11 tech gig was scrapped (thanks IBM!) after the terrorist attacks. Corporate america is famous for giving titles that really do not matter. But myself and another colleague were responsible for a staff of 12, which grew to 20.

Anyhooo, I had read back in 1999 an Entreprenuer magazine article about this woman who started a virtual assistant business and that business is now the leading business in preparing people to become virtual assistants. The PROBLEM is...it now costs $3k to get into the program. In '99 it was $1500K. Then, in '06 & '07 I read about it again in Black Enterprise, which gave more detail on how to get started.

I also bought 3 books here on Amazon and they were treasure trove of information. One of the books, "The 2-Minute Commute" really indicated that you did not have to join a program to become an assistant. So the first option in paying $3K was out (although the program, I must say is very thorough and can guarantee more clients). Then I wrestled with the idea of whether or not I really wanted to do this, since I had stopped becoming an assistant. But, when you take a look at my personality assessments, Myer-Briggs and all that other jazz, I am a person who gets satisfaction on helping others in something that I know how to do well, but as much as I like a team setting, I do better working independently. One time I took and assessment and I think it was accurate.

So I took my idea, went to WIBO (Workplace in Business Opportunities) here in NY to learn how to do a business plan. The course was ok, but I got sick in the middle of it, but then I went to NY Daily News' first Entrepreneurship forum and found 3 other places that would help with the business plan.

Let's just say, it's a lot of work; getting business licenses, DBA names (aka "Doing Business As"), signing up for every chamber of commerce event to meet people.

I have to say, it's terrifying. But when you have to constantly get up and deal with other people's bull, you kind of shake the fear.

So, I had a little help. My former boss' wife was client number one. My professor in Black Studies was client number two. I was in her office discussing a term paper and her office was crazy. So I made a remark about making it easier to find things using numbered filing system. Next thing I know, I'm in New Rochelle at her house helping her arrange her office since she also did taxes and needed a easier organization system.

Client number 3 came from a family member who had a friend who works as a consultant to a construction firm. She was helpful an had a lot of contacts with major bank. So she needed a lot of presentations done and statistical information. I worked from home mostly, which was heaven. And she and my former boss' wife were the two that really helped me pay my rent with no problem all of last year and still have some cash to do my thing. Which is why I traveled so much..remember last year I was always driving somewhere?

i should have been storing most of the money away, but hey what's done is done.

Now, I know what to do differently, thank god I did have the sense to put money away specifically for paying taxes, which you must do quarterly. Makes more sense.

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 11:18:22 AM PDT
mediaagent says:
In reply to your post on Mar 20, 2009 10:53 AM PDT
Kevin Bellamy says:
Media,

Re : Money's Too Tight To Mention

Man, you make my head spin. Your boyfriend doesn't have three heads? He's gonna need 'um! It might be sometime by the end of the month before I can process just what was contained in this post. After a post like this I gotta spring clean my brain.

You sure you don't wanna run the United Nations?

Yeah, I saw a few months ago, in some magazine, some of the women in Obama's cabinet. All younger than us. And you sound like you could do their jobs, no problem whatsoever. You woulda mopped the floor w/em!

I was thinking about you this morning (like I can get your posts out of my head?)
. I got another take on you. You have a great thirst or hunger for information. To better yourself constantly and keep climbing the ladder in life. Am I correct? You're antsy. You gotta keep it moving. (this post is a great example)

Anything or, everything will bore you in a matter of time. Usually very quickly. (we're lucky to have you though!!) Boy I wish I had your brain! Do you see it as a problem? Or love that side of you? Were your parents this way too or did they encourage you to get into everything?

I apologize Andy too, for screwing up this wonderful R & B board. I'll do my posts today too. If I slip in a Merle Haggard or a Burl Ives record, just remember, it's the whiskey talkin'. LOL!

I like that job you have Media and I am amazed that it exists. But at the same time it seems creative people like you come up with it. It seems to be born in the fact that important people (who also happen to be rich) are sloppy and disorganized. And, because people (like me, I will admit) can be lazy or prima donnas . . . .

Waaaaiiiiiiit a second, I have heard of this.

I recall reading about it a couple of years ago. Some guy, doing an article for a newspaper here, hired somebody in India to do all his work for him. She was cheap too, only about $10, 15 an hour. Like you said, he gave her all his assignments for the day, for the week. And she would keep in contact with him to let him know everything that was taken of (or not). All the way from India.

Is that what you do? All from home? Other people's "dirty work"? The minute stuff they hate being bothered with?

quote: People don't realize, in order to score some points, when those wives call into the office, being professional and engaging, but not overbearing or having an attitude, man it pays in more ways than one.

I'm very good in this, I mentioned that earlier. Maybe I'm onto something.

That's how I know our time has come (us on this board that is). Like you've been saying, the ones in charge now are absolute dolts. We can't understand how they're running things, how they even got hired. I swear, I'd love to kick the living ____ out of my bosses. They're both younger than me (one is 10 years younger) and both horribly drunk with power (so annoying and childish!! you wouldn't believe it!). They abuse it every chance they get. It's great sport to them. Intelligence is not a requirement to be in charge at that job. S'why I love hating them as much as I do. And they know it too! They want me outta there!

Change is gonna come, you're right. People are getting smarter about things and those who have the edge, the entrepreneurial spirit will win. I just gotta find my place in it too!

Kev
Reply to this post

**********************************************************************************************

My man and I see eye to eye, but he's the one with the more adventurous spirit. Pisces are dreamer and if the act on it, watch out!! He's no joke.

It hurt my heart when his investment company had to fold end of '07. Mostly because he had a partner who was a complete a**hole! That and the economy was starting to fold. He would secure funding for people who were starting their own businesses or major financial projects. Most of his colleagues are suffering now because of this market. He gave up working for Citi in 2001 after getting burned. Never looked back.

In addition to that, he and his cousin had a store selling women's accessories. That did great for a while, but when his cousin went to MD for job opportunity, he closed shop, since they were thick like thieves. He has put in for position for govt job in MD and if he gets it, we are MD bound, and I'm sure they are going to pick up and rebuild store again.

Also, that's the thing about some virtual services, why pay $25 - $60 hr here in US when you can pay $10 - 15 in India?

I'll tell you why, because if you really need that extra touch in service, albeit damm near a personal concierge at your fingertips, you should pay for the best. THAT'S WHY!

Biggest thing in this business, a well connected rolodex (everything should not be on a blackberry, you may lose that). Any person who has ever been any kind of assistant/manager/whatever knows this. You need to be able to contact people a a drop of a hat. For anything!

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 11:30:51 AM PDT
Anita says:
Media,
All I can say is "you go, girl." If I was in a business that needed the services you provide, I'd hire you in a heartbeat....hands down!!! Assistant Extrordinaire!!!!! I know you're gonna go far.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 11:41:58 AM PDT
collette says:
Media,
I'd hire you. We got some sharp, capable folks on this forum. Think you could replace Tim Geitner.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 11:48:47 AM PDT
collette says:
Media,
Thanks. I didn't mean copy the whole thing, but carry over a few posts. How's the cleaning coming? I'm getting excited about our summer get together.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 11:55:15 AM PDT
collette says:
BB, Media, Kevin,
Maybe you and some others in the market better convene a business expo for forum participants. Not in biz world but very impressed by what I'm reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 12:05:20 PM PDT
mediaagent says:
co,

I just came back into the house...girl, I already purchased a vacumm cleaner yesterday at target, but I forgot to get a new toilet seat. I just came back from the store....the guy goes, these are $15. WHAT???!!!

I'm going back out. Down the block....he MUST be crazy. It's not even the soft one!!!!

Cleaned bathroom and bedroom, house isn't back in the back rooms, it's the living room and all these books that are a pain. I'm boxing these up and selling them.

$15...He's got jokes.

Another rant: What's up with alll these damm dogs in NYC? WTH???? You don't bring a dog as large as a horse, or as small as a rat into the store!!! WHAT IS UP WITH THIS???

And why all these pit bulls???!!! Nobody has any money, what are they gonna steal???!!! CURB YOUR DOGS DUDE!!!!

OMG!! I can't take it!

I'll be back, searching for a $15 toilet seat and $30 bath mat....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 12:07:25 PM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
Me too Co!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 12:08:11 PM PDT
Wow, Media, you got it going on! (Not that I didn't already know that, but to hear it from someone else kinda solidifies it)

Btw, I think one reason why we happen to click so well is we have the same type of personality -a lot of irons in the fire/bored easily/want to do it all and trying to find the time to do it. I don't even remember what that personality assessment test said about me when I took it. (nothing good, I'm sure. lol.)

Another thing I'm noticing is we both have been in the same industries: Law & Finance. (also, had to laugh at your friend's assessment about those in 'power' -- sooooooooo true)

Keep striving. You'll definitely make it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 12:10:13 PM PDT
Andy B says:
Media - no need to apologize.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 12:11:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2009 12:42:50 PM PDT
Collette,

Re : Where To?, Ms. President?

Amen to that! I tell you, reading Media's posts leaves you with only one conclusion: She really is about to blow up! Reminds me of The Blob (just stay with me) or the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors".

With all her experience, and continuing thirst for more knowledge and skills, she's invaluable and unbeatable! Far more capable I would imagine than those in government!

You're right Collette (and even she said this); That whole Bernie Madoff nonsense just lets you know. . . . that everyone who should have been doing their jobs. . . . . were asleep. We need hungry, informed, and intelligent people like Media!

Keep up with your ferociousness! (woops! am I someone else's post?)

Kev

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 12:25:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2009 7:21:35 PM PDT
collette says:
I don't need to do Facebook when we have these posts. Media, I love your rant. Pit bulls like crazy round where I work. Status symbol for gang members. Like dogs, but not pit bulls and also sick of dog nuts bringing dogs everywhere. Sure it's worse in NYC, too crowded for people and dogs.

Speaking of toilet seats, why do they make everything so cheap these days? Have to get new ones every two years or so. A little scrub and it's all chipped. Think we had the same ones all my growing up years.

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 12:27:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2009 12:39:59 PM PDT
collette says:
This is in response to Kev's post on Heard today post under this. with this copy
Kev,
I like being alone, but I love my Forum friends (other friends pretty high maintenance). Grew up an only child (never minded it) in a WASP family who also never shared feelings easily. Still guarded, but for some reason, feel close to Forum friends.

Yes, it was I who said 70 is the new 50.
Co
Re : Family Affair (featuring : Uncle Bail (Bill) ) (from Kevin)
I've heard it said somewhere that your feelings are a gift. That is so true. Most people (as I've noted) don't take the time to talk with their neighbors, or their co-workers. They hardly know them. This is especially true in a big city like New York.

But me, I've discovered that communicating, sharing your lives with others can be very refreshing. It wasn't always that way with me. My family does not hug. We never said the words; "I Love You". I'm glad that when my nieces were born, that began to change. Now, I'm no longer inhibited or shy.

And I want to thank the poster (sorry, don't know who it was) this week who made the comment: "Is 70 the new 50"? - referring to Barbara Eden's good looks. That's a very good way to put it actually! She's had her ISH together for a long time. The same with Julia. It really is a new day.

Kev

P.S. : Didn't you love how Buffy would say his name on the show? Sounded more like Uncle Bail than Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 12:56:48 PM PDT
mediaagent says:
Hey Mal,

You too! I'm gonna wait for my promotional CD and front row seat!!! Hollerin' SANG IT HONEY SANG IT!!! LOL!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week. And Co, nita we will take photos. Espec. Mal. Man is a photo hound!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 12:57:55 PM PDT
mediaagent says:
Y'all

I ain't got it going on until I get on Oprah. THAT'S having it goin on! LOL!

I'm strivin and survivin like everyone else...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 211 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rhythm and Blues forum (834 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rhythm and Blues forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  5261
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2009
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions