Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Won Best New Artist Grammy and had continued success.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 9:54:08 AM PST
The winning of a Best New Artist Grammy does not ensure by any means the group/artist has a ticket to fame and fortune. What are your favorite winners or busts ?

The one that panned out the best IMO was CSN in 1969.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:09:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:09:20 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
The Beatles (1965)! :D Granted, they only lasted a few more years before they broke up, but they put out some pretty outstanding work after their win ('Rubber Soul,' 'Revolver,' etc.).

I'd say Sheryl Crow (1995) was a pretty good call -- I still think her next couple of albums after that (1996's s/t and 1998's 'The Globe Sessions') were her best work, but she's done some decent stuff since then (I especially liked 2008's 'Detours')...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:41:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:42:37 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Well, the Grammy's pretty much suck and get it wrong way more than they get it right, so it's easier to find Best New Artist nominess that DIDN'T win who had long, storied careers of success than nominees who did win.

All these were nominated but did not take home the trophy:

Led Zeppelin
Elton John
The Eagles
John Prine
Bad Company
Foreigner
The Cars
Elvis Costello
Dire Straits
The Pretenders
Black Crowes

Many of these acts are still around today and have no problem selling albums/concert tickets...

But they have been picking some winners who went on to pretty big success here lately. I don't really CARE for any of them, but these artists are doing just fine:

Lauryn Hill
Shelby Lynne
Alicia Keys
Norah Jones
Carrie Underwood
Adele

Then again, the "Best New Artist" award I don't think is necessarily a prediction for who will put out 20, 10 or even 2 more good albums so much as who made the best debut that particular year. My favorite new band (Alabama Shakes) is up for it this year. It's almost enough to make me care about the Grammy's. Almost.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:49:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:54:03 AM PST
Much to my surprise many of the previous winners have gone on to some pretty good success commercially and artistically. Yes, there were a few duds (Sheena Easton, A Taste of Honey, Starland Vocal Band, Debby 'lifestyle lift' Boone) in the late 70s and early 80s but then again, you had Rickie Lee Jones in 1979 who has had a fairly successful career and Christopher Cross in 1980 and, although he didn't do much after that, if you remember 1980 there was no way he could lose.

As for this year, I'd like to see Alabama Shakes get it. To me, they show the most potential with their soulful rock that's even commercially viable...and had one of the years best selling albums.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:43:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 6:47:25 AM PST
vivazappa says:
zlh:
Betcha a buck Fun. wins Best New Artist.
Remember in addition to being the King of Disco I am also the King of the Granny Awards!

At the Granny Awards:
-We admire popularity over talent.
-We admire internet video bands over bands who earn it playing the club circut.
-We don't like guitars that play loud, unless it's Eddie Van Halen on a Michael Jackson song.
-We only like hot looking, not hot singing, female singers.
-We have a voting membership that thinks Alabama Shakes is a tune about an earthquake in Mobile.

Signed,
The King of the Granny Awareds
(Bow to power now!)

P.S. I would vote for Carrie Underwood in the catigory of Best New Artist Who Looks Good In Tight Jeans...and Adele would win.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:10:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:12:55 AM PST
America (from the U.K. ironically) won in 1973. I have to see who else was nominated. Seems like it should have had alot of better choices from that year.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:55:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 1:52:05 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> The one that panned out the best IMO was CSN in 1969.

Not at all. Most of the hit records Crosby, Stills and Nash had afterwards were as part of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

The most successful Best New Artist winners were probably (favouring longevity -- both of commercial success and of cultural relevance -- as a criterion):

1. The Beatles
2. Mariah Carey
3. The Carpenters
4. Norah Jones
5. LeAnn Rimes
6. Maroon 5
7. Christina Aguilera
8. Alicia Keys
9. Tracy Chapman
10. Carly Simon

> America (from the U.K. ironically) won in 1973. I have to see who else was nominated.

Harry Chapin, The Eagles, Loggins and Messina, and John Prine. The Eagles obviously won in the long run.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 8:04:46 AM PST
D Mok...when I say "panned out the best IMO" I meant who I like the best. Obvoiusly The Beatle & Mariah blow CSN away when it came to hits & sales. My contention that they were successful is true, before and after Neil. Taste is always subject to opinion. Success is either there or not. BTW not to nit-pick, but the band name is Eagles. Not The Eagles. Glenn Frey was a stickler about that. In addition I don't have fiscal figures, but I would wager with their longevity (which you say is one of your factors) CSN has raked in more than everybody on your list after #2. Do you think any of these winners will tour for over 30 years besides Carly Simon's occasional shows ?

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 10:02:24 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> I would wager with their longevity (which you say is one of your factors) CSN has raked in more than everybody on your list after #2.

Crosby, Stills & Nash? Longevity? That's a funny one. For one thing, trying to call this group "Best New Artist" was already a massive stretch given that all three members were already long established by 1969, especially David Crosby. Second, they took eight years to follow up the debut, and after the second album, every CSN album was a flop. Third, by the time the '80s came along, Crosby, Stills & Nash were already completely irrelevant. Norah Jones, Christina Aguilera, Maroon 5 and Alicia Keys have all been around for 10 years or longer, and they are certainly more relevant and commercially successful today than CSN were in 1979.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 10:43:10 AM PST
You are missing the point raised in the discussion. CSN has had continued success as far as being a viable act that can make money touring. They also happen to be my favorite artist on your list as far as musical taste. Which ofcourse even you I'm sure would agree is subjective to each person. I don't know what 1979 has to do with anything and relavance was only mentioned by you. Not me. I also do not make the rules regarding who is eligble. In addition, as I stated before, I doubt many of the winners you listed will still tour after over 30 years in the biz. That's longevity. They just played my city last summer. I fail to see the humor in that.

I've enjoyed debating with you on this terrible idea of a thread. I think we can both agree The Grammys themselves are a joke anyway. However, I would like to make 1 more point. I also doubt anyone on your list will be on any anniversary concerts for R&R. That is reserved for artists who had "relevance" in music, unless their manager books a sweet spot for them to torture us like Fergie did singing with Jagger.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 11:26:33 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> CSN has had continued success as far as being a viable act that can make money touring.

Stephen Stills got slaughtered on tour when Neil Young dropped out. I don't know what you'd consider "viable".

> I don't know what 1979 has to do with anything and relavance [sic] was only mentioned by you.

1979 was 10 years after 1969, which was the year of CSN's first album. CSN in 1979 wasn't even close to the relevance and commercial success of Mariah Carey in 2000, Alicia Keys in 2011, or Maroon 5 in 2012. Crosby, Stills & Nash were the epitome of *lack* of longevity.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 11:51:26 AM PST
If they have a lack of longevity why are they still touring 34 years after the Grammy. Will Mariah,Alicia, & Moron 5 still be touring in 2024, 2035, & 2036, respectively ? They probably won't need to anyway. Oh well, that's what I get for expressing an opinion. Maybe I should have used a diffrent word other than success. Evidently Stephen Stills and Graham Nash are paupers, & we know Crosby's broke due to his past indescretions. Does it at least mean anything that except for Alicia's "Falling" all there other music is ear pollution ?

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:53:03 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> Will Mariah,Alicia, & Moron 5 [sic] still be touring in 2024, 2035, & 2036, respectively?

Mariah Carey is well into her third decade. And besides, CSN kept touring long after their harmonies started to stink and Stephen Stills had lost his writing ability (Crosby himself said, on the record, that Stills "hadn't written a great song in years" -- and this was in the '80s). They're running on marquee value; couldn't make a decent album to save their lives. You want longevity, try U2. Even The Rolling Stones are running on oldies now, not new vitality, but at least The Rolling Stones still made culturally relevant records 20 years after their inception, rather than running on nostalgia.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:44:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 9:16:18 AM PST
I agree. I was wrong. My opinion has been changed. I hate CSN now.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:48:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 8:49:00 AM PST
vivazappa says:
The latest CSN tour was fantastic...excellent song choices and Crosby sounds better than he has in decades!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:10:42 AM PST
Ditto ! Just saw them on AXS LIVE last night doing Suite : Judy Blue Eyes. The crowd was really into the vocals & Stills playing. Got applause after the bridge. I always love it when a crowd appreciates a moment in a song & it all comes together.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:58:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:58:30 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Wooden Ships
Cathedral
Almost Cut My Hair
were my favorites that night.

Bummer that curfew hit before they could play Teach Your Children...

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:11:39 AM PST
viva...did Stills play "Treetop Flyer" ?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:53:05 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Not wiith CSN...however in 2010 or 2011 I saw him in a small venue with his band and he did...one of my Stills favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:25:55 PM PST
Texas Woman says:
Looking at the nominees for best new artist and how they fared - longevity and prolific recordings or performances:

1963 Peter, Paul and Mary certainly outlasted their competition (Robert Goulet won)

1971 Elton John lasted (Carpenters won, they may have lasted except for Karen's untimely and tragic death)

1973 - Eagles and John Prine lasted (America won)

1979 - Elvis Costello lasted (Taste of Honey won)

1990 - Indigo Girls lasted (Milli Vanilli revocation year)

I think I stopped watching or paying attention to the Grammy awards after 1990.

I am somewhat interested this year because so many of the nominees were at ACL....My vote is for the Lumineers, although I think Frank Ocean will give Alabama Shakes a run for their money.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:07:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:16:44 PM PST
Whale Tart says:
I have loved this discussion and discovered Mumford and Sons because of it. I went and gOOgled the nominations and found them there. I have not stopped listening to them since then. Love it when a bit of Zooning pays off. I have enjoyed the discussion re CSN, in the end agreeing to disagree works, hey, but now I have some new fodder to go and GoGGle. Thanx DAA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKfrgqWcv0

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 9:17:35 AM PST
You are most certainly welcome W/T...CSN Rules !

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:19:37 AM PST
Whale Tart says:
Yebo - Yes, Of Course they rule, dem blurdee excellente! Some of us can only dream of ever being as good as they are..........
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions