Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Amazon Elements Sensitive Baby Wipes, Exclusive to Prime Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Alanis Morrissette and other canadian female singers (Joni Mitchell, Jane Siberry...)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2012 5:30:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 6:20:20 AM PDT
Marite says:
I am a big fan of Jane Siberry and Joni Mitchell and I like most songs by Alanis. Despite singing very different types of music, I have to say I found a lot of similarities in the way they use their voice. I wonder if it's something to do with Canadian folk music? Did anybody else notice?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 5:55:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 25, 2012 5:55:47 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 6:20:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 6:24:26 AM PDT
RegF says:
Jane and Alanis are big Joni fans. Joni wrote much more than just folk music as she have many Jazz / pop albums and she did almost every style of music except for hard rock.

Sarah McLachlan and k.d. lang are also big Joni fans but they sound very different.

Canadian singers like Shania Twain and Celine Dion are also very different.

The female lead singer of the Canadian band METRIC also is a Joni fan.

Joni Mitchell was one of the world's biggest influences in music ever and was a big part of the 1960s and 1970s music scene.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 6:25:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 2:48:01 PM PDT
Marite says:
Thanks for your reply.

I know that Joni did a lot more than folk music (just think that the very first album that introduced me to her was "Mingus" at the end of the '70s).

What I was trying to say is that, the more I listen to Alanis (a singer I dismissed in the 90's as too "commercial") the more I find similarities with Jane Siberry and Joni Mitchell (but more with Jane IMHO).

I was wondering if they learned to sing folk songs when they were younger and this set their vocal style (sorry for my bad English, hope it's clear).

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 9:49:41 AM PDT
liked joni's hejira/don juan's reckless daughter releases a whole lot. siberry's no borders here remains a favorite. by the way, siberry fans should check out a group called the scoldees. singer nancy siriannni has a voice similar to siberry's, and the band is great with memorable songs.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 4:01:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 4:06:58 PM PDT
doodah man says:
Another Canadian songstress is the great Margo Timmins of Cowboy Junkies; smooth, whispery bluesy voice that pulls you in; I love seeing her live.

Blue Moon Revisited
http://youtu.be/vJ6EGsZdxpE

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 1:03:49 PM PDT
RegF says:
great point!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:30:15 PM PST
Mike B. says:
Joni is great, but my favorite Canadian songstress is Buffy Sainte-Marie, whose first album was released in 1964. Her early covers of "The Circle Game" and "Song To A Seagull" helped Mitchell breakthrough. Joni herself is a fan, and talks about her in the lifestory DVD that accompanies Buffy's latest CD "Running For The Drum" (which also features testimony from Robbie Robertson, Randy Bachman, and others).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 7:32:41 PM PST
Beth "Bif Naked" Torbert from Winnipeg has sung with everybody
from Chrissie Hynde to Billy Idol to the Cult to Devin Townsend.
She can really belt 'em out.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:13:06 AM PST
D. Mok says:
Michele Gould (Lava Hay, Taste of Joy)
- One of the most versatile pop/rock singers in Canada. She usually sings in a very sweet pop style (similar to Juliana Hatfield and Nina Gordon), but she also has a very pure, very strong alternate voice that makes her an amazing backup singer. Listen to Lava Hay's "Listen Well" for harmonies worthy of David Crosby or Emmylou Harris.

Sarah Slean
- The best current Canadian female singer-songwriter. Great arranger, and a composer extraordinaire who can do cabaret, rock, jazz, pop, ballads, funk, and almost anything else.

Martha Wainwright
- Nuts, plain nuts, but therefore chock full of personality.

Julie Doiron
- Unique singer-songwriter with a piercing vulnerability in her sound. Her background as a bass player also gives her a very distinctive songwriting style.

Kathleen Edwards
- If she'd stop making little acoustic roots records with no teeth, she'd be a contender. A real rock maverick when she started, her first two records -- Failer (2003) and Back to Me (2005) -- are essential listening.

Tara MacLean
- Similar to Sarah McLachlan, but a better songwriter. Didn't release a lot of music, but what she did release was very good.

Kristy Thirsk (Rose Chronicles, Delerium)
- One of the most distinctive voices of the '90s, going up even higher than Kate Bush, and with a rapturous, almost arrogant melodrama that gives her a much more rock edge (think Grace Slick, but with a much higher vocal range).

Louise Reny (One 2 One, Artificial Joy Club)
- Want to know where Gwen Stefani got her vocal style? Listen to One 2 One. Louise Reny was one of the best female voices in '80s New Wave synth-based music. She and One 2 One partner Leslie Howe also gave Alanis Morissette her start.

Holly McNarland
- Angry alternative rock like Alanis Morissette, except with a lot less drum loops and dance influence, and a much more powerhouse voice.

Julie Masse
- Celine Dion with much better songs, and without the annoying abrasive quality in her voice. Masse also had great blues-influenced guitar work on her records, usually courtesy of Roch Voisine guitarist (and Masse' producer) Rejean Lachance. She also did have some sugary dance-pop songs that are eminently forgettable, but check out her ballads and you'll hear the power in her voice and delivery.

Jane Child
- A multi-instrumental virtuoso who also had a good voice. "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" is one of the best dance recordings ever made -- a rare dance song that rocks.

Marie Denise Pelletier
- An excellent singer who isn't very well known outside of Quebec. Extremely pure voice, but with edge.

Loreena McKennitt
- Not only a killer singer, but also a great producer and general musical visionary.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:26:31 PM PST
Martha Johnson of Martha & The Muffins ("Echo Beach") & M +M ("Black Stations/White Stations") hailed from Toronto. Though both bands are seemingly footnotes in music history, it's interesting to see Daniel Lanois as producer on the recording credits for their albums.
She also went on to win a Juno Award for best children's album.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:52:23 PM PST
JagdTiger says:
She did write "this flight tonight" which nazareth turned into a hard rock tune.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:52:38 PM PST
mac says:
That reminds me of "Gonna Get Close To You" by Dalbello that was covered by Queensrÿche.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:23:45 AM PST
Emery Would says:
I love Metric, fronted by the lovely and talented Emily Haines. Believe they're from around Toronto.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 12:56:03 PM PST
Fischman says:
Not yet mentioned is my favoriate of all Canadian femmes: Sass Jordan.

All the grit of Janis Joplin, attitude of Tina Turner, sex appeal of (take your pick--insert name here) wrapped up in an awesome package and delivered with the hard rock sensibility of Ann Wilson in her prime.

Rats and Racine are my two favorite female-fronted hard rock albums of all time.
Rats
Racine

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:22:10 PM PST
Marite says:
Thanks for sharing, I'll look for her on Youtube.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:48:37 PM PST
D. Mok says:
Sass Jordan almost got picked to replace Sammy Hagar in Van Halen. Eddie Van Halen denies this, but he is not a guy I believe about *anything* when it comes to his band's history. He was the one who said in an interview, "Now I have Gary Cherone -- it's like I've been waiting for this guy for 20 years". I don't think he'll own up to that quotation now, since Cherone was out of the band less than a year after that.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:22:13 AM PST
Snoo says:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned/heard of Amanda Marshall. You are missing out...imo
:)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 3:40:49 AM PST
DPask says:
Anyone mention Sarah Harmer yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:19:44 AM PST
Lauren says:
I have Amanda's first album. It's a little poppier than my tastes usually run and is seriously front loaded, but the songwriting is nice. I've been meaning to check out her other.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:22:06 AM PST
Lauren says:
@Fischman Both of those Sass albums are nice, but Rats rocks a good deal harder. I'll repeat my recommendation from another thread to see her live if you can - she is probably in her mid 40s but can still belt. It's perhaps worth noting that most of her live set still comes from Racine and Rats.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 10:28:55 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> Anyone mention Sarah Harmer yet?

Sarah Harmer was wonderful at her peak (with Weeping Tile, and in the late '90s). But then she turned soft and mushy, and now she's just another one of a million folksy, rootsy chanteuses. She had the perfect balance of rock and country on You Were Here, but then she lost her teeth, just like Kathleen Edwards.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:08:47 AM PST
Fischman says:
Thanks, L
I check her website periodically to see if she's heading anywhere near my neck of the woods. So far, nada, but I'm always on the lookout!

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:34:16 AM PST
Snoo...I have all 3 Amanda Marshall releases. Her 3rd one "Everybody's Got A Story" is great !

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 11:58:14 AM PST
SuziBeth says:
Sass Jordan rocks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Aug 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions