Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Artist or band names you consider as funny or weird

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 756 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2012 8:24:12 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
Some I like are Rick Broussard's "Two Hoots & A Holler", and "Too Slim and the Taildraggers" (an American rock band formed in 1986 in Spokane, WA)

How about you? Got any good names? Rock, Country, Pop... I don't care... we just want something unusual or funny. Thanks for participating.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 8:28:57 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Toad the Wet Sprocket struck me as funny even before I found out it was a Monty Python reference. :D I always thought Hootie & the Blowfish was kind of odd, too.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 9:42:41 PM PST
bozokarl says:
The Blow Monkeys
Are they on coke or do they just like to go down on chimpanzees?

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 9:46:16 PM PST
And I thought Michael Jackson was the only one abusing Chimpanzees....

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 10:49:45 PM PST
Tommy says:
A.C.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 7:52:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 9:28:03 AM PST
mac says:
Beer for Dolphins cracks me up.

We Were Promised Jetpacks (we were also promised flying cars and motorized skates)

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 9:21:54 AM PST
Michael Ary says:
That is a good one mac.... you reminded me of a band that occassionally played at our local county fair called Drunk On Near-Beer. Great name, but they sucked. ha.h.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 4:47:18 PM PST
BigBadAzz says:
Kajagoogoo
Not Drowning, Waving
Scraping Foetus off The Wheel
Ween
My Friend The Chocolate Cake
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Mott the Hoople
String Cheese Incident
Moby Grape
B*tthole Surfers
T.I.S.M. (This Is Serious, Mum)
Lubricated Goat
Ned's Atomic Dustbin

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:03:27 PM PST
Captain says:
The Quarrymen

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:06:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 6:07:13 PM PST
Rare Goat says:
Pet Slimmers of the Year

I applaud whoever came up with that name. Decent band too.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:04:02 AM PST
Michael Ary says:
Here are 3 particularly weird names (IMHO) just for starters:

I Would Set Myself on Fire for You
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
The Brady Bunch Lawnmower Massacre

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 5:23:09 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
Anybody know of any "funny" (as in funny, "ha, ha") band names? Remember any artist or band names from any genre counts: Rock, Country, Pop, duo, solo, etc.

Toad the Wet Sprocket, Hootie & the Blowfish, Beer for Dolphins and B*tthole Surfers were all great group names of the funny/weird variety. Thanks to all who have contributed so far. Lets have some fun with this!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 6:36:45 PM PST
jim locker says:
ozric tentacles

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 7:47:30 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
"I Would Set Myself on Fire for You"

That's a crazy one! I also like the names ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead and I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness. :D

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 7:50:37 PM PST
Dead Milkmen
Dead Kennedys
Revolting C**ks
Goober & the Peas
Southern Culture on the Skids
Tenpole Tudor
Men Without Hats
Screaming Blue Messiahs
Sinister Ducks
Jazz Butcher
Swimming Pool Q's
Doctor & the Medics
Chocolate Watchband
Strawberry Alarm Clock
13th Floor Elevators

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 9:40:58 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
venussansfurs - I've heard of some of these but Goober & the Peas, Southern Culture on the Skids, Tenpole Tudor, Screaming Blue Messiahs, Sinister Ducks, Jazz Butcher, Swimming Pool Q's, Doctor & the Medics and Chocolate Watchband, are new and different to me. Strawberry Alarm Clock was a passing fad in the early 70's. I had their first record as I recall, but I don't remember any of the band members... do you?

Gena Chereck and jim locker good adds! ozric tentacles? Yeah, that's weird! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 10:14:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 10:25:23 PM PST
Hi Michael. Well, a lot of those were 80 and/or 90s alternative bands, though Chocolate Watchband and Strawberry Alarm Clock were 60s/70s psychedelia. Yeah, Clock had one hit, "Incense & Peppermints" and no, I can't recall any of the band members...passing fad indeed! Southern Culture on the Skids, I believe, is still together. Sinister Ducks was an offshoot of Bauhaus. Goober & the Peas were a Cowpunk band and actually featured Jack White from White Stripes on drums at one point!

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:03:48 PM PST
JVC says:
Just for sheer creepiness to me, Butthole Surfers and Insane Clown Posse rank pretty high. Not in creepiness, but just a strange name to me is Five For Fighting (why would you name your band after a hockey penalty??)

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 6:00:03 AM PST
Throbbing Gristle...I was in college when I first heard of these guys. Two classmates of mine showed me the album, I was looking at it when another classmate (who always looked at me weird) saw it and nodded...I never could convince him that it wasn't my record!!

Five For Fighting really isn't a band, but just one guy...I've heard the song "Superman" by him, but don't remember how it goes, so it shows you how memorable the song was!!

One of the members of Strawberry Alarm Clock was Ed King, who went on to be one of the founding members of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Also interesting is this fact: the guy who sang on their hit "Incense & Peppermints" wasn't a regular member of the group, but a FRIEND of theirs whom they got to sing the song!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 2:43:17 PM PST
Max Flash says:
Brian Jonestown Massacre

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 3:09:59 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Buzzcocks... their band names always made me laugh when announced on the radio.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 10:23:37 AM PST
Michael Ary says:
Better Than Ezra
Mothers Milk
Neutral Milk Hotel

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 10:33:20 AM PST
I know the weirdest concert I've ever been to was GWAR.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:31:06 AM PST
Savage Lucy says:
I love Vampire Weekend and Panic! At the Disco. I've never heard a Vampire Weekend song to my knowledge, and I dislike Panic!, but I love the band names for being weird. Especially Panic!. Props for the exclamation point.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:41:46 AM PST
Michael Ary says:
Savage Lucy, thanks for your input. I've never heard of Vampire Weekend, but I have heard of Panic! At the Disco. And, as with you, I think they suck too, but admittedly they have weird names alright.
What other weird or funny (ha.ha.) names are out there?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  118
Total posts:  756
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2012
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions