Customer Discussions > Rock forum

The Rolling Stones Suck

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 427 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2008 2:56:52 PM PDT
Whenever another group covers a Stones song, the cover group is invariably superior! You needn't hear a Stones cover to know of their inferiority, though. Their sound is disorganized (not in a cool rock way, but in the disheveled homeless person way), devoid of attitude, and they usually seem disinterested. All in all, these rock legends are proof that passion and talent take a back seat to clever marketing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 3:06:22 PM PDT
But what do you really think?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 3:10:52 PM PDT
this from a Who fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 3:22:09 PM PDT
John Sposato says:
I like Julian Lennon's version of "Ruby Tuesday" much better than the original. Same with "Street Fighting Man" and oasis, "Honky Tonk Women" and Elton John, and "You Can't always Get What You Want" and George Michael.
The Stones are a joke to me. They're four dirty old men on Viagara who belong at Shady Pines! Even in a 1985 solo video, Old Man Jagger looked hideous!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 4:57:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 3:43:24 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 5:11:58 PM PDT
Mark White says:
The Stones were a great rock/blues band when they first started out then got a little edgier around 1967. They should have retired after 'Emotional Rescue' which is the last album of their's I ever purchased. I never cared much for Jagger, he's an ego-centrical money grubbing prick.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 5:53:50 PM PDT
LMAO. I wondered when this sacred cow would be sent to the butcher. Naaah... I like The Stones just fine. I'll give them props for longevity and they wrote a lot of great songs in their heyday. I know they are not going to jam out with killer solos and awe inspiring virtuosity but they were the best at their brand of blues based choppy bar rock. Ya gotta love Keith. That guy rules!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 6:10:14 PM PDT
According to Tesco Vee and the Meatmen,
we all do...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 6:56:46 PM PDT
anubus says:
Most Stones covers are atrocious. Where's your demo?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 1:27:46 PM PDT
Johnny Winter's Jumping Jack Flash!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 1:33:11 PM PDT
I wrote that I hated the Stones to play. I actually like alright. I've always been disappointed with their live act and I have never fully understood their legendary status when other groups of the time sounded so great (Kinks, Animals, and yes, The WHO). But, in their defense: one of my favorite (in all of music) songs is their old standard that was so inventive and is still so evocative and picaresque: You Can't Always Get What You Want!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 1:37:10 PM PDT
Too late now, mickster. Don't try backing away from your OP. Take it like a man!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 2:03:15 PM PDT
This is the dumbest Internet post I have ever read. The Rolling Stones are the dominant band in the history of rock and roll.
There's never been a band with more or better hit rock songs.
Parachute Woman, land on this guy tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 2:06:48 PM PDT
Hit songs don't mean most talented.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 2:13:55 PM PDT
Derek Leach says:
Sorry if they are high profile... hit songs or not The Stones are one of the best rock and roll bands EVER. If you disagree pick up forty licks.

Micks raw voice can not be reproduced by Oasis/Elton John/and for God sakes George Michael.

Figure it out

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 4:22:44 PM PDT
Calm down, Leach. I have 40 Licks. I've seen 'em live 3 times. I know what I'm talking about from decades of experience. I like 'em just fine but I don't think they are in the conversation of most talented musicians. If that statement gets your panties all bunched up, oh well. Good bar band, sloppy drunk music. Not the second coming...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 4:39:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2008 4:40:20 PM PDT
DKPete says:
The majority of what the Stones put out following the release of Undercover is, arguably, pretty irrelevant musically and does absolutely nothing to further or even retain their staus.

Having said that, between the years 1964 and 1972, this band's recorded output-both in terms of songwriting and arranging exempifies the greatest representation
of highly inventive (and influential) straight-forward rock and roll of that time period. Hate them all you want. Their brilliant (long) string of hit singles alone- in this time frame-answers for this. Their developmental album progress does the same...each LP starting with Aftermath and up to and including Exile On Main Street is a progressive collection noone can match for straight Rock (exempting their brief foray into psychodelia which, even in itself, produced some excellent recordings).

After Exile and up to Undercover, they still had many a great moment albeit far drawn from their previous consistency. Their overall greatness and significance cannot be judged by their concerts or albums of the last twenty years. By the late eighties their place in Rock history was deservedly more than secured. Hate them and put them down, then, all you like...it is your right to do so...but it changes nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 4:47:04 PM PDT
They have a lot of hit songs, but they have a LOT of albums. Along with that comes even more not so good songs. I've always thought they were overated and never understood what people liked about them. 90% of the people I know who like them are chicks. They're a chick band with their grungy bad boy appeal.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 5:03:44 PM PDT
You mean that chicks dig scrawny big-lipped drug addicts? lol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 5:15:29 PM PDT
The ones that like "bad boys" do!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 5:29:52 PM PDT
How can somebody be a 'bad boy' when any other dude could kick the crap out of you?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 6:00:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 1, 2011 1:08:30 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 6:10:56 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 6:43:55 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 6:49:43 PM PDT
NJ BEACHBUM says:
Will Always be the Greatest Rock and Roll band of All Time. I have been a fan since 1969 and been to at least a dozen of their shows in Phila and NYC. Can't wait until their Next tour. There is no better Rock Band and if you call Rush rock you're crazy!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  107
Total posts:  427
Initial post:  Aug 13, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions