Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Fans can vote for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2012 5:49:26 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Hey, we've been complaining for a long time but we can now cast our vote. We can vote for up to 5 nominees. Let's stop our whining and make a difference.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-public-enemy-deep-purple-nominated-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-20121004

I've already submitted my vote and of course Rush and Deep Purple were on my ballot.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 1:35:21 PM PDT
I got the email from the rock hall the other day with the list of nominees, and it clearly stated that fans can now vote. Working Man, you got to me. I had not paid any attention to it until I read your post. I went and voted immediately, and I hope everyone else does too. It's what we wanted, let's jump on it. By the way, it shows the current results, and Rush & Deep Purple are well out in front. Exercise your right to vote!!!!

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:55:44 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I'm going Donna Summer...she fits right into the other crappy people already in.

Boycott RUSH and PURPLE they don't deserve a fate worse than DEATH!!!

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 8:36:06 AM PDT
Herc says:
NEIL SEDAKA

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 8:37:36 AM PDT
Herc says:
NEIL SEDAKA

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 8:39:00 AM PDT
Herc says:
NEIL SEDAKA

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 8:41:39 AM PDT
Herc says:
NEIL SEDAKA

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 8:41:45 AM PDT
Has the DeFranco Family been inducted, yet?

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 1:51:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2012 1:59:51 PM PDT
Allowing fans to vote is stupid. No self-respecting hall of fame would ever do that. Granted, many of the inductees from the past decade have been dubious at best. But by letting fans vote, the hall has taken a big step toward making it strictly a popularity contest. None of the popular "rock" (not rock 'n' roll) acts on this year's ballot can hold a candle to the inductees of the first few HOF classes. Yet the museum insists on inducting five or six more acts each year -- all for the sake of getting people to pay money to see their historically inaccurate shrine. Sad.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:30:09 PM PDT
So the fans should have no say? Sorry, I have more faith in the fans than the usual method. By the way, the fans had no say on the nominees, just the inductees from the nominee list.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 7:37:52 PM PST
Working Man says:
Rush To Finally Be Inducted!

It's official; Rush will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2013. They will join Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Albert King, and Donna Summer. Lou Adler and Quincy Jones will both receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers. The ceremony will be held on April 18 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, CA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:28:54 PM PST
>Allowing fans to vote is stupid.

Allowing staffers of Rolling Stone magazine, a publication which would be far more practically useful if it were printed on perforated squares, is far stupider. Such a practice leads to the induction of producers of aural sewage such as the Beastie Boys, as well as to that of a woman who has contributed such profound lyrics as "If we took a holiday / took some time to celebrate / Just one day out of life / It would be, it would be so nice" in apparent unawareness that people actually DO do just this very thing several times a year.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:33:21 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Bravo Pence!

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 7:38:44 PM PST
Working Man says:
So, why is letting fans vote stupid? I don't think 13 year old girls are going to vote for the rock and roll and hall of fame. It's not American Idol. Letting the fans have a say, even if combined it only counted for one vote, at least let's the people who actually have a real vote know what the 'real' fan thinks. If I am not mistaken Rush led the fan vote and I believe Deep Purple may have been second and Heart were up there too. This indicates to me that the fans who took the time to vote weren't wasting their votes on Donna Summer or whatever non-rock nominee was on the ballot.

The voting committee hasn't done all that great a job over the years so letting the fans at least contribute, however, insignificant at least shows that someone is listening to the grumbling over past inductees. I think it's a positive step.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:45:27 PM PST
Working Man says:
#1 Beatles Snob, thanks. It seems at least someone feels like I do. Unfortunately, the HOF has alienated so many rock fans (yes, I said rock and not just rock 'n' roll) that even with a significant voice they will probably stay away.

Personally, I am seeing some improvement in the inductees. Yes, a lot of non-rock artists are still getting in, but with Rush, Heart, Alice Cooper and the Stooges it's getting better. These are artists that some of us have complained about for years and now they are in. There are still some worth 60's and 70's artists that deserve to get in. Maybe we just need to be patient.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 6:16:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 6:16:25 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I'm gonna vote for Dr Hook and the Medicine Show next year...they deserve it more than a lot of the cruddy so called artists in there now.
And I mean that...go listen to the first four Dr Hook records and tell me they aren't better than Mahardonna or Public Enema!

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 3:27:24 PM PST
Working Man says:
I am not that familiar enough with Dr. Hook and Medicine Show. You know I have come to realize there are so many good bands and artists that I didn't hear enough of back in the old days. We used to always look for the next big thing and I did this for the longest time. Now I've realized that for my favorite styles of music I am better off looking back as some of the artists I didn't get into back in the 70's. That is not to say that I have given up on new artists, it's just that for my tastes there is as much that I missed out on back then as new stuff coming out now. I now look back as much as look forward for new (to me) music.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 10:04:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 10:06:27 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Dr Hook's first four records has Shel Silversteen writing lyrics on most tunes.
They are funny but also good tunes...a rare combination.
As a kid I couldn't get enough of them.
I was sickened when they went pop on the 5th record.

It took forever to find all 4 on CD...Belly Up is my favorite!

By the way...they would be a "never" for the Hall to vote in...but if they did I bet Ray and Dennis WOULD show up!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Oct 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions