Customer Discussions > Rock forum

The anti-Best and Worst thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2012 6:44:35 AM PST
Working Man says:
Maybe it's a little bit of the OCD in me or maybe because I am too analytical but it annoys me when people say that someone or something is the best or worst when it is really just a matter of their opinion. If they qualify the statement as "the best in my opinion" then fine, but when they state it as a fact when it's just their opinion it annoys me.

Again, maybe it's the OCD in me but when when people say that The Beatles are best or Led Zeppelin sucks it's fine if they state it as their opinion, otherwise it's just a bunch of noise trying to get a rise out of people.

Often, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Springsteen, U2 and others get a lot of 'suck' or 'overrated' threads and I believe it's partly because not everyone gets them and the overexposure or attention these bands get can be very annoying. I know I find that true for me and Springsteen, I never much cared for him and my indifference grew to hatred as his popularity and exposure grew. Now I have moved past it and accept that I don't care for him much and others care a great deal. That's life.

I am posting this just because I wanted to vent a little. This is a problem I have whenever terms like "best" and "greatest" are used when it cannot be measured or defined. When a teams when the Super Bowl or the World Series they are the best team, when an announcer says a receiver is the best at going over the middle and catching a pass in traffic it's just an opinion.

Again, thanks for listening (or reading) as I am just trying to vent because it gets old to apply logic to some of the discussions here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:28:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 12:30:36 PM PST
WM:

First of all Merry Christmas.

I used to get annoyed at threads like those as well but not anymore. Since I know this was partly inspired by the Led Zeppelin thread I will say that I don't like Led Zeppelin's music but they do not suck. There are reason's I choose not to listen to them but that's it. I know you feel the same about the Stones, who are my favorite band. Usually someone is trying to get a rise out of other posters. Now I just kinda take those threads with a grain of salt and try to see the humor in them.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:51:33 PM PST
This is the best discussion thread on the entire Amazon forum!!! Ahem, sorry, just a little yuletide cheer spilling over. Have a very Merry Christmas Working Man and may the tunes flow like current for you in the year to come! That goes for everyone!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:38:50 PM PST
Hinch says:
>Usually someone is trying to get a rise out of other posters<

Exactly!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 8:28:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 7:23:52 AM PST
Doesn't the title "Led Zeppelin SUCKS" just look so radiant and inviting on the thread list.

Any intelligent person looking for rational discussion would consider posting a thread title like "Why I don't like Led Zepellin", or somesuch. The title as employed is thus obviously not an invitation for discussion, but a declaration of intent.

"Let's see, who's fans of the bands I dislike are passionate enough to want to rumble?''

"I know, I'll try ------, people are always posting comments about how good they are."

"Then I'll just sit back and lap up the stink, occasionally throwing another old tyre on the fire so that I can hide in the smokescreen...."

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 9:12:02 PM PST
On a not unrelated topic

"Twas the Night Before Christmas
And all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
But a bunch of NO voters
With their fingers all poised
To register those NO votes
and make anonymous noise
When what to my wondering eyes should appear
But the Amazon censor
Kinda blasted on beer.
He said just this one night
The NO voters will quake
I'll reveal who they are
And you'll get a fair shake
Tonight if they hit that button with glee
You'll see who it is--It's a present from me.
And just before that censor
Winked out of sight
He said NO voters suck eggs
And to all a good night.

It could happen. Merry Christmas! "

With all due acknowlegment to original poster sundanckeed.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 7:22:42 AM PST
Working Man says:
Thanks, all and Merry Christmas. I had to vent a little. Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 7:31:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 7:32:35 AM PST
In the spirit of peace on earth and good will to all maniacs I've been contemplating these poor wretches and I am beginning to muster sympathy for them.

Read me out.

Theses pathetic creatures wander the forum looking for a way to connect, and in their primitive attempts to reach out they bang their fists on the keyboard until an intelligible sentence is achieved and they throw themselves into the fray the only way they know.

After receiving enough of a pummeling they scurry back into whatever crevice they crawled out of, back into their lives of anonymous no voting.

So sad, really.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:53:23 AM PST
Working Man says:
Thanks, all. At least I know I am not alone at seeing these pathetic threads. I think I need to develope a thicker skin, you'd think at my edge it would be easier. Anyway, I know when I post I try to make sure it's my opinion and I don't try to pass it off as a fact.

Exile, yes, I do like the Stones, especially early Stones. However, I am pretty happy with some compilations and don't need the whole catalogue, the same goes for the Who. Two bands that are enormously popular but which I am enjoy from a distance.

Thanks all, for the Christmas wishes and have a Happy New Year.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 7:32:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 7:34:32 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Around here I am the BEST!
Elvis Fan is the WORST!
zlh, Mcnary, Bass Boy, Working Man, and Alex Montrose are my favorites!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:20:26 AM PST
This is THE Best Amazon thread ever!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:30:43 AM PST
Snoo says:
The most UNDER rated thread ever !!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:01:06 AM PST
Arseface says:
Your argument is invalid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:46:07 PM PST
Two Tub Man says:
Who you callin' an invalid?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:42:06 AM PST
vivazappa says:
...Willis!

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:33:18 PM PST
Snowblind says:
what you talkin about

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:34:19 AM PST
vivazappa says:
"Ev'rybody's talking about
Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism,
Ragism, Tagism
This-ism, That-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m"
--Lennon

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 11:29:11 AM PST
Don't hate this thread...It is good!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions