Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Band that has employed the most number of impressive guitarists

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2008 8:46:36 PM PST
P. Vo says:
What band(s) can you think of that has employed/produced the most number of impressive guitarists?

3 bands I came up with were:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Hillel Slovak, Jack Sherman (studio guitarist), Jesse Tobias (Alannis Morissette), Blackbyrd McKnight (Herbie Hancock, George Clinton), John Frusciante, Arik Marshall (Macy Gray, Marshall Law, Al Green Tribute band), Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction)

The Yardbirds - Eric Clapton (Cream, D. and Dominos), Jeff Beck (Jeff Beck Group, solo), Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

Funkadelic - Eddie Hazel, Tawl Ross, Catfish Collins, Gary Shider, Glenn Goins, Ron Bykowski, Michael Hampton, Blackbyrd McKnight

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:02:36 PM PST
The first band that jumps to mind is Ozzy, if that counts as a band. Randy Rhoads, Brad Gillis, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde, Joe Holmes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:26:29 PM PST
Tyler Durden says:
I agree with the yardbirds

How about the Allman Brothers with FOUR of Rolling Stone's Top 100 greatest guitarists: #2 Duane Allman, #23 Warren Haynes, #58 Dickey Betts, #81 Derek Trucks?

#1 all time has to be Whitesnake:
Micky Moody (Juicy Lucy, Whitesnake, Company of Snakes, M3) - in Whitesnake (1977-1982, 1984)
Bernie Marsden (UFO, Whitesnake, Bernie Marsden SOS, Company of Snakes, M3) - in Whitesnake (1977-1982)
Mel Galley (Trapeze, Whitesnake) - in Whitesnake (1982-1984)
John Sykes (Tygers Of Pan Tang, Badlands (UK), Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Blue Murder, Sykes) - in Whitesnake (1984-1987)
Vivian Campbell (Sweet Savage, Dio, Whitesnake, Riverdogs, Shadow King, Def Leppard) - in Whitesnake (1987-1988)
Steve Vai (Frank Zappa, Alcatrazz, David Lee Roth, Whitesnake) - in Whitesnake (1988-1991)
Adrian Vandenberg (Vandenberg, Whitesnake, Manic Eden) - in Whitesnake (1988-1991, 1994, 1997-1998)
Warren DeMartini (Ratt) - in Whitesnake (1994)
Doug Aldrich (Lion, Hurricane, Bad Moon Rising, Burning Rain, Dio, Whitesnake) - in Whitesnake (2002-present)
Reb Beach (Winger, Dokken, Alice Cooper, The Mob) - in Whitesnake (2002-present)

and if you count David Coverdale's other non-whitesnake work you get:
Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmore's Night) - in Deep Purple (1973-1975)
Tommy Bolin (The James Gang, Deep Purple) - in Deep Purple (1975-1976)
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin, The Firm, Coverdale/Page, The Yardbirds) - in Coverdale/Page (1992-1993)
Earl Slick (David Bowie, John Lennon, Phantom Rocker & Slick) - in David Coverdale solo work (2000)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:26:40 PM PST
Its not even debatable, if this post/ thread lasts yardbirds will win hands down. But don't forget Deep Purple with Blackmore, Bolin and Morse and still not close to Page, clapton, beck just my opinion. Just try and find a person that hasn't heard of Page or Clapton or Beck

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:29:04 PM PST
Tyler Durden says:
Ozzy also employed Steve Vai (1994-1995) Alex Skolnick of Testament and Savatage (1995) and Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains (2004-2006) and of course played with Tony Iommi in Sabbath

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:29:52 PM PST
John says:
Unrelated, but I find it pretty cool that all three Yardbirds guitarists are still living.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:34:29 PM PST
Tyler

Nice call on Whitesnake, I loved rainbow which turned me on to Dio which turned me on to Vivian campbell. I saw in a interwiew that he loved gary moore so i bought Gary Moore s Victims Of The future and coridiers of power and dirty fingers and so on ( I know I don't spell well ) and then GM went Blues and made some money, good for him. I also like the ealier albums with Moody and marsden, I even bought some album by Alaska. But Steve Via?? no thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:38:14 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 4, 2008 9:43:42 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:50:30 PM PST
Tyler Durden says:
Paul Rodgers played with Micky Moody in Free, Mick Ralphs in Bad Company, Jimmy Page in The Firm, Neal Schon (Journey / Bad English / Hardline / Santana) in Paul Rodgers Band of Gypsies on The Hendrix Set, Brian May (Queen), Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy), Jeff Beck, Steve Miller, Buddy Guy, Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi), Brian Setzer (Stray Cats), Trevor Rabin, David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) and Slash (Guns N Roses) on Muddy Water Blues: A Tribute to Muddy Waters and with Brian May again currently in Queen + Paul Rodgers

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:50:57 PM PST
P. Vo says:
Damn, I totally forgot about Allman Brothers. Good call. I'll also have to agree with Ozzy and Whitesnake.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:55:25 PM PST
Tyler, You are a freak, I thought I knew som shiznit, u r a phd

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:56:33 PM PST
P. Vo says:
Yea, Yardbirds are kinda obvious. I'd like to see what people say about other bands if possible. I'd prefer new-ish bands (like I mentioned the chili peppers) since the Classic Rock type bands are kinda old news and discussed so much already.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 9:58:19 PM PST
Trout Voice says:
Of course Yardbirds, but what about Skynyrd- Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Ed King, Hughie Thomasson, and Rickey Medlocke!
And I saw a pretty cool band last month that had Doyle Bramhall, Robby Kreiger, Hubert Sumlin, Mato from Indiginous, Johnny Lang, Buddy Guy, Brad Whitford, Eric Gales and Hendrix Rythym section (Experience Hendrix)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 10:05:30 PM PST
B upham, what was that band? You are the first person I have ever heard mention Eric Gales, NICE. I have lived in Jax Fl my whole life so I am a Skynyrd fan but never considered their 3 guitar attack all that impresive. But many of Ronnies songs were great. imagine LS with him still at the helm.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 10:13:15 PM PST
Christine625 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 11:56:39 PM PST
P. Vo says:
Nice pick with Experience Hendrix, B.Upham. My friend from California saw them last month and I'm so jealous of him. I attended a Camp Freddy show when it had Slash, Dave Navarro, Jerry Cantrell, Nuno Bettencourt, and Warren DeMartini all on the same stage. Although they aren't "classic-era" guitarists, I was still really stoked because I look up to them (I'm only 21).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 7:37:44 AM PST
Ian Kilmister has employed a variant bunch-
Larry Wallis, "Fast" Eddie Clarke, Wurzel, Brian Robertson
to name a few...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 12:22:35 PM PST
ImEzekiel65 says:
And since you mentioned The Yardbirds, I might as well mention another obvious British band, namely John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. They had the legends in Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, as well as today's active blues guys like Coco Montoya and Walter Trout, who also have gone on to successful solo careers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 4:10:22 PM PST
Trout Voice says:
R. Grenville,
The band was "Experience Hendrix". And the show I saw was one week to the day before Mitch Mitchell Passed away. Seeing all those Guitarists on the same stage on the same night was incredible, It was like musical chairs where one would walk off-stage and another would come on. Robby Kreigers slide solo on "Watchtower was great. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Queensryche came out for three songs as well. Go to "Experience Hendrix Tour 2008" for more info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 4:22:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2008 11:51:22 AM PST
Working Man says:
Paul Kossoff was guitarist for Free with Paul Rodgers. Rodgers played with Micky Moody when they were about 14 or 15 years old in a band that at different times was called the Titans, the Roadrunners and the Wildflosers. Near the end of Free when Kossoff was too sick/wasted to perform he was replaced by Wendell Richardson for a short time and Rodgers and Kossoff both played guitar on their last album.

In addiiton to the long list mentioned above by Tyler Durden, Rodgers has also played with Howard Leese (Heart), as well as Geoff Whitehorn (Back Street Crawler, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters) and Dave "Buckett" Colwell (Bad Company and Samson with future Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickerson).

Also, he's played with the 17 year old Curtis Dengler who was terrific on Rodgers "Live in Glasgow" cd and dvd.

The Yardbirds are definitely the first band that comes to mind when you mention guitarists, who else can boast Clapton, Beck and Page. They also had Beck and Page at the same time for a short while.

I would have added Deep Purple too with Blackmore, Tommy Bolin and Steve Morse and although he didn't record any albums with Purple Joe Satriani also played with Purple.

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Skynyrd, Ozzy and Whitesnake certainly have impressive lists as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 4:47:45 PM PST
While they don't quite compete with the Yardbirds for fame, Michael Schenker and Uli Jon Roth are two great guitarists who show up in all those "greatest guitarists" lists, and they both started in the Scorpions. Matthias Jabs, who replaced them, hasn't got as much acclaim - but, listen to his playing with them - he's also an excellent and tasteful guitarist. And, rhythm guitarist Rudolf Schenker with the Scorps has certainly provided plenty of great (pop-)metal guitar!

But, yeah, I think Tyler Durden pretty much nailed it with the Whitesnake/Coverdale thing. I can't think of anyone who's gonna compete with that!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 4:59:51 PM PST
Working Man says:
Matthew, yes Whitesnake/Coverdale probably has it in pure numbers although he also presented quite a list for Paul Rodgers as well. They both played with Page and Rodgers certainly played with a some 70's guitar icons while Coverdale had the next generation of guitar icons.

I just remembered that Rodgers also played one song with Richie Blackmore. It was a benefit and the song was Smoke on the Water. The video is on YouTube if I remember the band included Ian Gillan (Deep Purple), Rodgers and Bruce Dickerson (Iron Maiden) on vocals, Blackmore on guitar, Chris Squier (Yes)on bass and Carl Palmer (ELP) on drums a long with a few others who cannot think of at the moment. It's a great video.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 6:17:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2008 6:19:46 AM PST
Lionel Bourg says:
The Yardbirds and The Allman Bros. have already been cited---and rightly so. However, I haven't seen any mention of Fleetwood Mac. Any band that has included Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, and Lindsey Buckingham has to be considered a pretty awesome aggregation. I also think that the original Lynyrd Skynyrd needs to be included in this discussion.

I would also include the Rolling Stones---Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Ron Woods---another impressive group of guitar-slingers---IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 7:11:13 AM PST
Deep Purple all the way.
Ritchie Blackmore
Tommy Bolin
Blackmore again
Joe Satriani
Steve Morse
Can't top that group of players.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 8:29:08 AM PST
Joseph Brown says:
I'm going to have to go with Iron Maiden. I believe their current lineup with Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and Janick Gers is unstoppable. Though I believe that The Yardbirds had a good lineup (Jimmy Page is my all-time fave) the guys mentioned weren't all guitarists at the same time. Ozzy's past is also quite impressive. Rhoads was awesome.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions