Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Best Jimi Hendrix Album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2010 9:27:34 AM PST
So many to choose from!!! Seems like a lot of them only have a couple hits or the sound quality is reportedly bad. So tell me, what is the best compilation? Thanks. ggp

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 9:36:05 AM PST
Bklyn-Born says:
Forget all the compilations released after his death; Electric Ladyland is his best work. It shows the extreme diversity that he was capable of; a pity we'll never know how far he could have taken it..

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 10:08:53 AM PST
You have to hear Jimi live to really appreciate how far ahead of his time he was. There are several great live albums out there. Band of Gypsies, Hendrix in the West etc. As far as studio albums Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland and Rainbow Bridge are a few of the best. Compilations are great for the unreleased songs but, for me the album proper is the way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2010 10:13:50 AM PST
Lee says:
Electric Ladyland, hands down!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2010 10:22:48 AM PST
Two Tub Man says:
1. Electric Ladyland (by a long shot)
2A ...Are You Experienced?
2B Axis : Bold As Love

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 1:52:53 PM PST
jblyn says:
I can't pick just ONE "best" Jimi Hendrix Experience album...I think they're all equally fantastic. After that, I'd have to go with either the posthumous THE CRY OF LOVE or the posthumous FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 9:31:08 PM PST
davyboy says:
Axis:Bold As Love is his best sounding, most cohisive work.

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 11:01:25 PM PST
Pariah says:
Forget compilations..Get the first 3 studio albums.

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 11:46:45 PM PST
bozokarl says:
Axis: Bold as Love

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 5:05:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2010 9:15:35 AM PST
Glen Kepic says:
I'm gonna step out on a limb and say "Band Of Gypsys"...
given life to us as fulfillment of a 'contract' gone awry (ppx, on Capitol).
This was a part of a 2 day/4 gig engagement, culminating on 1/1/70...who the heck does this anymore?!?
The tunes heard on this were i'd say Hand Picked by Jimi, himself.
I have the Fillmore release,,,good, but not the same.

Axis:Bold As Love would be next,,,

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 12:37:27 PM PST
Nobodaddy says:
Electric Ladyland. . . by a landslide, by unanimous exclamation, by an earthquake, by underwater acclaim!!

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 2:45:33 PM PST
uduwudu says:
Obviously Electric Ladyland.

Arer You Experienced is probably the album (as everyone points to Pepper) I wave my thumb at this album for pretty much defining how rock guitar should be done. Everything else from everyone else that involved electric guitar stemmed from that album. Great song writer as well. He could turn his hand to a ballad too.

Axis is a great hard rock song oriented album. Hard to see it as a progression from Expoeienced manily because both albums are from the same mindset of sonic development/ song writing that led to Ladyland. Usually we get a bit defined by the limitations of format.

Band of Gypsies has great material. Who knows and Machine Gun with this funk rock metal development. IMHO he was going through several tyransitional phases at this time which is why Cry Of Love, Gypsies and the Woodstock material and vand don't bear much resemblance to each other. The diversity of music that was in the can and was in his mind is phenomenal.

The albums to go for are those approved by the Hendrix Estate. One to avoid (IMHO) is that Scene Club boot with Morrison (and maybe Johnny Winter) on it. Less than exemplary all around and for completists only. One album by JH is not enough but I found it worthwhile researching finding out how to get all his best material without buying all those horrible compilations and edits that flooded the market. First Rays is definitely an album worth having as it takes in so many other old LPs / CDs and makes them redundant.

One thing that did / does annoy me was the partial releases of Woodstock. Aside form the first 3LP set of the festival there were all these piecemeal versions as someone tried to milk the market. OK it's a DVD and full 2 CD set now but folks be careful about getting poor transfer masters and unnecessary compilations.

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 2:58:20 PM PST
Porcupine D says:
To hell with the compilations, you need:

Electric Ladyland
Axis: Bold As Love
Band Of Gypsys

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 2:58:59 PM PST
Chet Fakir says:
You can't go wrong with the first three studio albums Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland. For my money the most cohesive and best sounding album is Axis: Bold As Love.

Stay far away from anything recorded before the first Experience album Are You Experienced? such as Hush Now or the garbage with Curtis Knight. Its almost all terrible and some doesn't have Hendrix playing on it.

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 8:16:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2010 8:16:56 PM PST
Lionel Bourg says:
For me, it's a toss-up between, "Are You Experienced" and "Electric Ladyland". If pressed, I would give the nod to, "Are You Experienced".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2010 9:55:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 12:01:53 PM PDT
As far as his original studio albums, it's easily 'Are You Experienced ?'. He may have gotten more adventurous with his later work, but this debut album perfectly encapsulated EVERYTHING about Hendrix' unique genius. Compilations of Hendrix' work are superfluous - each album was a uniquely realized work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 3:31:10 PM PST
Dw 1000 says:
I have all his studio albums and his commercially released live stuff but this might be the best Hendrix album I've ever heard...

Live at Winterland

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 10:01:37 PM PST
Zaplightning says:
The Jimi Hendrix Experience's first three studio albums....nuff said.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 12:33:23 AM PST
taogoat says:
No one mentioned his Blues album!

Woodstock and Band of Gypsys are two great live albums.

My favorite Hendrix songs are "Born Under a Bad Sign" (Blues), "Hear My Train A'Comin'" (Woodstock), "Who Knows" & "Machine Gun" (Band of Gypsys), "Pali Gap," "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" (Ladyland), etc

Enjoy!

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 3:15:56 AM PST
Don says:
Experiences are often the basis of our opinions, and I was fortunate to see Hendrix in his American debut at Monterey Pop on June 18th, 1967 and the following weekend at the Fillmore. Only Are You Experienced was released then and it was great Rock. The only song I did not like was the psychedelic Third Stone from the Sun, and unfortunately that's the direction he went.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 9:29:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2010 9:29:50 AM PST
vivazappa says:
There is a live disc from the LA Fourm in one of his very hard to find box sets Lifelines:The Jimi Hendrix Story...it's far and away his best even if it is live!

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 12:14:48 PM PST
I think most will agree Smash Hits is the best compilation. Too hard to choose from the original 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 6:37:49 AM PST
Glen Kepic says:
I remember Smash Hits when i was kid,,,that studio version of Red House that didn't make it on AYE here in the States ruled.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 7:56:52 AM PST
D. Cripe says:
Band of Gypsys, it's not really a studio release, but in it's time it was a proper release with all new material albiet live. I listened to this album to death when I was younger, and it was the reason I picked up a guitar. Jimi never sounded better or more soulful. I like pretty much all Jimi, but this is the album I come back too. Machine Gun/Who Knows/Message to Love are guitar masterpieces

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 7:54:05 PM PST
Evildoo says:
I have an awesome live Jimi album a 2cd set called the legends collection

Its pretty bad sound quality but u can tell it was around the Chitlin Circuit Era

Best album? Axis Bold as Love
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions