Customer Discussions > Rock forum

How do find new music.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2013 7:28:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 7:51:47 PM PST
How do you find new music. (New being defined as music you never heard before and are introduced to it......release year not a factor)

- Amazons 'Artists Picks'. I am a Ben Folds fan.....On Amazons Ben Folds page he introduced me to My Morning Jacket.

- Tom Petty's Buried Treasure on Sirius. Wow thanks Tom.....He pulls gems from 50's, 60's and 70's I never knew existed. That starts me on my search to find other tracks from these artist.

- Crashing at a party where everyone is too tired to change the mix cd someone created and loops all night long. Certain songs seep into my subconscious and turned Peter Yorn into a new friend.

- Picking up a cd at random for the library because of the cover. This introduced Nick Drake and Josh Rouse.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:41:31 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
From your post, Calvin, it looks like you are doing just fine on your own in finding ways to get new music. But, you know, I have found that these music forums (Rock, Classic, Pop, forums, etc.) are probably the best place to discover new music as music taggers often give a comment about what they like and what is available. Continue to look through these discussion to see what you can find. Also there are websites like Spinner.com and others that specialize in the latest music available. Just Google on the words "New Music" and you will see a ton of these websites. I hope this helps.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 11:39:49 AM PST
B-Jak says:
The forums here certainly do help. The other way I find most music is by following the trail of suggestions that music services (I'm particularly fond of mp3va.com) recommend. One other lesser used method is, well, I'm a bit of a band geneologist. If there's a band I like, I research other projects by band members, producers, engineers, etc. There are sometimes very surprising connections.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:49:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:54:34 AM PST
D. Sippel says:
I've been a subscriber to eMusic for years. It used to be great, but the prices have gone up as they added major labels. There is a "new this week" feature that is very helpful, but I'm actually hoping to find something better.

I loaded the free Spotify player a few months ago and for a no-cost option, it is great. Instead of just listening to the standard 20-30 second sound bites, I can listen to entire songs. There are tons of new music on there, and if there is a band you like, you can browse other groups with a similar sound, kind of like Pandora, which is also a good resouce. With Spotify, you can also make your own lists (just like your iTunes player, which Spotify links to) and easily share them with friends or on Facebook.

I want to check out Spinner.com as Michael mentions. That sounds like a good source for new music.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:31:05 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I FIND most of the music from new bands to be "turrable"...

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:03:39 AM PST
Cookie says:
When you need that tasty jolt from the STARRY cafe stand..............
I have discovered new friends, and been tapped on shoulder by old favorites.

I also recommend the pumpkin bread w your drink.
(guity pleasure - Luke James)
"Try to get so close
Try to build some hope
Shivers crawl and curl
I strive to see the colors
But it's all black and blue
My mirror is you "

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:25:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 10:29:45 AM PST
doodah man says:
I come across lots of new music (and some old that I somehow missed) listening to Little Steven's (Van Zandt) Underground Garage show late night on the radio (yes, the Radio!) or archived shows online.

http://undergroundgarage.com/

Plus these threads have been responsible for many new artists that I listen to. Yes, I take note of what you all write!

And my son gifts me great new music. Even with a 26 year difference in our age, we listen to a lot of the same music.
Except for the thrash stuff.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:26:31 PM PST
Yes along with tom petty buried treasure and love little steven (who i found on xm). I had no idea I was a fan of 'garage rock'.

Often times I load up my mp3 player with song from 60's to now and try to see if I can tell when it was released. There are so many new bands that blatantly have an older sound that it is getting harder to tell!!! That is a good thing : )

We are no longer drones to the corporate music

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:27:57 PM PST
Doesn't happen so often any more, but someone sharing a mix cd always was good for an artist or 2.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:31:01 PM PST
Another avenue that has produced great 'new' music for me is movies and tv shows. I will wade through the credits to find the artist that just fit the music perfectly. ie
- Wedding Crashers - Spoon
- Scrubs - "Beautiful World" by Colin Hay, "Question" by Old 97's

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 8:59:10 AM PST
I check out recommendations & reviews from Julian Cope's Head Heritage site. Not too much "new" music, but lots of great stuff I never heard of or didn't give a fair chance first go-round.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 5:23:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2013 5:25:32 AM PST
James Warner says:
If I'm going to see a band I like play live, I will check out the other acts playing on soundcloud, bandcamp or youtube. I also discover bands via music forums and BBC 6Music (you can probably get a live feed of it online in the US via the BBC website). You can also check out a lot of bands back-catalogues on grooveshark.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 4:08:36 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
Another way to find music (new or old) is to check out the sound bytes of albums found here on Amazon.com. Thare have been many times that I have bought albums (CD's) just from sampling the tracks listed here. Not all albums have attached music files here... especially the older, less popular, ones. But for those that do, and I believe a majority do, it is a great way to find something you like. I hope this helps.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 8:32:52 PM PST
Working Man says:
Right here. These forums often point me to artists that I want to try out based on other's recommendations.

I also, use Amazon and iTunes recommendations based on my music and the I sample the songs or check YouTube.

Pandora radio is also another pretty good source because they play artists similar to the artist you select, so I sometimes hear something I like.

Finally, from Classic Rock Magazine and their articles, reviews and of course their monthly free CD samplers. I found some really good bands from those samplers.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 7:33:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 7:34:00 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Watch the Grammy's ;)

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 8:15:16 AM PST
B-Jak says:
I had to laugh out loud at that one, viva!

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 11:32:37 AM PDT
Sometimes I look at the recommendations on Amazon based on "similar bands/other poeple that purchased this purchased" but I think the best online venue is Last FM.

When I am out of new music I will get on and search bands I listen to and go through their "Similar Artists" to see who they list. Great site that lets you sample, shows top albums for bands, back ground, discography, etc..... and it links to albums on Amazon when you are ready to purchase.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions