Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Who is your favorite southern rock band?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 170 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2011 5:36:07 PM PDT
I've always had a liking for that southern rock sound. Gram Parsons arguably started it. The Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd perfected it.

There's bands from the south that one doesn't normally put into the southern rock category; like Little Feat (my favorite) or Dr. John.

There's the second generation groups like; Blackfoot (another favorite), 38 Special, and Black Oak Arkansas.

There are bands still carrying it on today like; Drive By Truckers and Jason Isbell (once removed).

With all that being said, who's your favorite southern rock band past or present?

Posted on May 3, 2011 5:47:20 PM PDT
A. Vernon says:
For me, this is kind of like asking "who is your favorite kid?" or "who is your favorite Beatle?"

The trinity for me is: The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band.

After that: Charlie Daniels Band, .38 Special, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws, Ozark Mountain Daredevils (etal)

Some consider ZZ Top as Southern Rock. I love 'em but think of them as "a little ol' boogie band from Texas."

Posted on May 3, 2011 8:19:36 PM PDT
jeff p says:
Oh Lordy...Its kinda like that same question for me as well....Um...Well lets see....Skynyrd is definitively gotta be #2..I do like the Allman Brothers and Blackfoot,they'd have to be number 3 and 4...Outlaws would most definitively be up there too.at 5 probably...ZZ Top....oh man,I'd be tempted to have them up around Skynyrd and the band at number 1... but i suppose since they're being southern rock is in question..well.. I'd still have to at least put them at number 6 either way... anyway..the #1 spot is ..Molly Hatchet..especially with the late Danny Joe Brown (RIP)

Posted on May 3, 2011 8:27:23 PM PDT
Working Man says:
As good as the Allman Brothers are, I think for me Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top are just a hair ahead of them for me. Like any list it changes depending on what you're listening to at the time.

1. Lynyrd Skynyrd
2. ZZ Top
3. The Allman Brothers Band.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 8:36:04 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Jeff, good call regarding Molly Hatchet. Great band.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 1:54:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2011 2:38:39 AM PDT
I can't really argue with the choices here and my fav would be Skynyrd. I know some of these bands don't care for the term "southern rock" because they feel it limits them to preconceived notions about the music. And though they are practically never considered SR, the members of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers came out of Florida. Same with Black Crowes- southerners but not usually considered of the genre.

Posted on May 4, 2011 2:24:24 AM PDT
T. Schäfer says:
I'M heavily surprised: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers etc., all of them are old bands (except Drve-by-truckers); what about new ones like Alligator Stew, Blackberry Smoke, Tishamingo?

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 4:00:11 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Gram Parsons was an originator of Country rock, not Southern rock.

The Byrds, Poco, Eagles, etc were country rock.

Posted on May 4, 2011 4:00:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2011 4:09:40 AM PDT
Hinch says:
1. Marshal Tucker Band
2. Barefoot Jerry
3. Allman Bros Band
4. Molly Hatchet
5. Atlanta Rhythm Section
6. CDB
7. Sea Level
8. Widespread Panic
9. Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Outlaws

Posted on May 4, 2011 4:19:53 AM PDT
The Allman Brothers Band for their musicianship and their ability to simply write darn good songs. 'At the Fillmore East' still stands as one of the five best live rock albums.

While we're at it, do you folks know who was just as much of a pioneer of country-rock as Gram Parsons and the Byrds ? Those who aren't familiar with his solo work will not believe me, but the answer is Mike Nesmith, formerly of the Monkees. As soon as he left the Monkees in 1969, he recorded a series of terrific solo albums like 'Loose Salute' and 'Nevada Fighter'. And if you listen to his work while he was still a Monkee, he was even then writing and recording a number of great, country-rock based songs, most of which turned up on the Monkees' 'Music Box' boxed set or the band's 'Missing Links' album series of outtakes. People overlook his talent tremendously because they simply dismiss him as "one of the Monkees". But in doing so, they overlook the fact that he was a REAL musician before becoming a member of the group, and was one of the first masters in combining rock with a country twang. Honestly.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 4:40:36 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Absolutely!

I have all Michael's albums.

Great singer/songwriter.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 5:06:13 AM PDT
My Southern Rock favorites go like this in order.
1. Lynyrd Skynyrd
2. Black Oak Arkansas
3. Molly Hatchet
4. Blackfoot
5. Charlie Daniels Band
6. Outlaws

Never really cared for the Allmans too much and I like ZZ Top better than all of these but I also consider them more Texas Boogie than strickly southern rock.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 7:00:20 AM PDT
Andy's My Dog,

The Allman Brothers Band. I saw them in Montreal in August 1971 and they did the same set as the Live at the Filmore East concert album(July 1971).
I shouted out Whipping Post(like on their record) and immediately Berry Oakley broke into the song with his heavy rumbling bass intro. I'll never forget it. What a cool feeling I had.

Old Geezer Steve

Posted on May 4, 2011 7:22:37 AM PDT
Cantalopian says:
Drive By Truckers

Posted on May 4, 2011 8:49:41 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
if we consider ZZ Top southern rock then they'd be my favorite. if not then i'd go with The Charlie Daniels Band-great musicianship,songwriting and energy. just got the Wounded Bird CD Reissues of Whiskey and Te John,Grease And Wolfman from the early 70's. the lineup that best signifies that band for me though is Charlie, Taz,Tommy,Charlie,Fred and Don. if you don't own Saddle Tramp or Nightrider you need to.
some others in order:
3. Skynyrd
4. Allman Brothers
5. Marshall Tucker Band
6. Blackfoot
7. The Outlaws
8. Drive By Truckers
9. .38 Special
10. Molly Hatchet

Posted on May 4, 2011 9:14:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2011 9:14:33 AM PDT
The question pertains to southern rock BANDS, so here's my favorite.

TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS (Gainesville, FL)

Posted on May 4, 2011 11:20:56 AM PDT
jeff p says:
Great call John...southern rock or not Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are one of the best bands overall imo..

Has anyone ever heard of Doc Holliday?.they were'nt very well known as some other southern rock legends but had some good songs..

also love Marshall Tucker Band,Charlie Daniels ,38 Special,Black Oak Arkansas,Widespread Panic..etc..My list of top bands is'nt meant to take anything away from them and their talents..They're awesome bands as well.

Gov't Mule is also a great band..also Black Stone Cherry ..2 bands i'm listening to a lot lately..

Posted on May 4, 2011 2:37:14 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Black Stone Cherry, is a band that is interesting to me. I am starting to more about them and what I've sampled sound good. I think there are quite few good Southern/Blues rock bands our there that need to get more attention.

Posted on May 5, 2011 3:39:36 AM PDT
T. LeBaron says:
Probably would have to be 38 Special for me, no disrespect for Charlie Daniels, ZZ Top os Lynyrd Skynyrd (and I've seen them all live in concert). I've just always enjoyed these guys just a little more than the rest. Don't get me wrong...it's all good, that goes without saying. 38 Special just has that vibe to them that hits me the right way. Just can't listen to those guys and NOT feel good!

Posted on May 5, 2011 11:07:56 AM PDT
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Wet Willie yet.

Posted on May 5, 2011 11:21:49 AM PDT
Hoagie Mike says:
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Black Oak Arkansas
Molly Hatchet
Blackfoot
Outlaws

Posted on May 5, 2011 11:40:32 AM PDT
R. Morgan says:
Nashville Pussy is pretty good, yes it is a band

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 12:32:34 PM PDT
I bet it is.

The question pertains to southern rock BANDS, so here's my favorite.

THE BLACK CROWES [Atlanta]

Posted on May 5, 2011 12:42:04 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
The Black Crowes!
Skynyrd
Outlaws
Hatchet
Danny Joe Brown Band

Posted on May 5, 2011 3:27:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2011 3:35:19 PM PDT
I guess this depends on how we define the terms BAND and SOUTHERN ROCK. Does Buddy Holly & the Crickets qualify? What about Elvis Presley and his original Sun backing band of Scotty Moore, Bill Black and DJ Fontana? Then again, there's Roy Orbison's band the Teen Kings. If these count, then they would absoultely be added to my list.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  May 3, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions