Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Jazz/Rock Fusion for Smug, Pretentious and Condescending music lovers only!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 425 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2007 1:22:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2013 10:02:06 AM PDT
Squire Jaco says:
HA! - Not really; I just liked the sound of that title. ;-)
[One of our regular posters here was feeling feisty one day and inferred (on another thread) that some of our musical tastes and preferences were "smug, pretentious and condescending." So instead of taking offense, I decided to include those adjectives tongue-in-cheek into the title of a thread about music that I really love!]

Purpose of this discussion thread:
I guess I could have put this thread over in the Jazz Forum, but while many jazz purists over there would probably view jazz/rock fusion as an abomination of their idiom, I'm hoping that most rockers see it as I do: a thrilling, energetic display of technical proficiency played by experts on their respective instruments, with more power than straight-ahead jazz, but trickier terrain than your average rock anthem.

I'd LOVE to hear what other people out there are listening to in this vein.
I'll start out by listing some of my favorite fusion groups since the late 60's (when Miles Davis basically started the genre):

Earlier bands: Return to Forever, Brand X, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean-Luc Ponty, Weather Report, Allan Holdsworth, Kenso.
More recent bands: Niacin, Jonas Hellborg, KBB, Ozone Quartet, Tribal Tech, Boud Deun, Helmet of Gnats, Gambale Hamm Smith, CAB.

Hope to hear from some of you.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 1:51:26 PM PST
t'amant says:
Well said in that first paragraph, that is exactly how I've always felt about it -- And I'm busy trying to play along with some all afternoon (Kraan Live and Mahavishnu Orchestra Apocalypse and planning on Lost Trident Sessions next). I'll be checking in here as this has always been a main area for me although not as much for the last few years. Like most of those bands you mention, a couple I don't know well ... The title sucks though btw and I was about to come over in an angry metal mood ready for battle ... (I was thinking "DARN YOU GWYN! Gee, sorry for the mistaken identity ...)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 1:52:20 PM PST
Can I include the Dixie Dregs?
One of my all-time faves, and absolutely nuts
live. I can't tell you how many "covers" I've seen
Mr. Morse & Co. do-

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 1:59:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 3:33:24 PM PST
t'amant says:
"Can I include the Dixie Dregs?" he says! I'd be insulted if they weren't included in the first ten posts (jj)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 1:59:47 PM PST
How would you classify bands like LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT and BLACK LIGHT SYNDROME?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:03:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 2:06:16 PM PST
Gorgar says:
You mean other than "insanely talented, bring your own hearing protection?"
Don Caballero is a pretty fun fusion band (even though they consistently get classified as 'math rock').
Ditto on the Brand X.
Always thought Derrick Sherinian's work with Zak Wylde was right up there in the 'metal meets prog' scatergory.
But, it's real hard to beat Jordan Rudess when it comes to pushing the envelope.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:06:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 2:08:24 PM PST
I love JOHN MCLAUGHLIN's entire catalog. He is an amazing musician who can literally do it all. His last one, INDUSTRIAL ZEN is one of his best.
I just got the new PLANET X album. Mind boggling describes it. BRETT GARSED has got to be one of the best guitarists around and ALLAN HOLDSWORTH plays on a couple of songs. DEREK SHERINIAN never ceases to amaze.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:07:52 PM PST
Jim says:
Weather Report
Return To Forever
Larry Coryell-Elementary Guitar Solo #5 is A-OK
Sea Level-I don't know if they qualify, but I will nominate them.\
Tribal Tech
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Tony Williams with John McLaughlin
Pat Metheny-His stuff with Jaco is my favorite. Guitar, bass, and drums, perfect
Jaco Pastorius
John Scofield
Aquarium Rescue Unit?
Hampton's Grease Band without the vocals
Jazz Is Dead
Joni Mitchell-does she qualify with her jazzier stuff. Maybe it's just the presence of Jaco and the great band.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:10:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 2:18:25 PM PST
That TONY WILLIAMS LIFETIME album with HOLDSWORTH on it is one of the all-time jams.
I love TRIBAL TECH. SCOTT HENDERSON can do no wrong.
INTRODUCING LARRY CORYELL AND THE 11TH HOUSE is one of the best fusion albums I own. Great band.
MIND TRANSPLANT by ALPHONSE MOUZON with TOMMY BOLIN on guitar. Incredible energy there. If somebody is a better drummer than MOUZON, I have yet to hear them.
I love AL DI MEOLA. Especially his early stuff although I thought BILL CONNORS was a better fit for RETURN TO FOREVER.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:40:43 PM PST
Billy Cobham's Spectrum album would probably fit the bill here. Tommy Bolin's guitar work is unreal on this. I've been meaning to pick up the remastered version of this. Anyone heard it? I have the original CD issue and wondered if it was improved upon (sound wise) enough to invest.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:49:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 2:50:24 PM PST
t'amant says:
I have it recorded badly on an old cassette from a friends album but I did pull it out like a month ago and had forgotton how blazin' some of that guitar was on there (not to mention the drumming from Cobham, etc.)! Oh, and on the other side of the cassette was George Benson "White Rabbit", one of his best that I've heard ... (Cobham was all over the place back then)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:49:50 PM PST
Jim says:
Spectrum-Billy Cobham with Tommy Bolin
Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco De Lucia-Friday Night In San Francisco. Incredible all acoustic, though may not be in fusion category.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:52:53 PM PST
I have the SPECTRUM CD. I have the new JEFF BECK LIVE CD where he does a smokin version of STRATUS. As a matter of fact, the whole CD is great. BECK has never sounded better.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:52:54 PM PST
Gorgar says:
Must not forget The Flock, with a young Jerry Goodman. Very jazzy/rockin' fusion mayhem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 2:56:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 2:59:53 PM PST
SPACES by LARRY CORYELL with JOHN McLAUGHLIN guest starring. Another great album.
EXTRACTION by GREG HOWE, VICTOR WOOTEN AND DENNIS CHAMBERS. A fusion shredfest.
TEMPORAL ANALOGUES OF PARADISE by JONAS HELLBORG, SHAWN LANE and JEFF SIPE(Apt. Q258). Incredible improvisation. SHAWN LANE was one of the all-time great guitarists.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 3:01:05 PM PST
Jim says:
Mark, I have the remastered version. It sounds great. I don't have the old one to compare it too, so you're on your own there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 3:18:07 PM PST
MetalMike says:
Here's A few to chew on
1) Richie Kotzen/Greg Howe - Tilt
2) Richie Kotzen / The Inner Galactic Fusion Experience
3) Chris Poland / Chasing the Sun
4) G-Force - Code Red
5) Vertu / Vertu

I really enjoy jazz/fusion type music. super talented players going for broke. Hope I have listed something new to someone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 3:29:09 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:20:29 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 3:29:11 PM PST
Glenn Phillips (not the Toad the Wet Sprocket dude) from
the Hampton Grease Band has released some fine avant-
garde instrumental guitar discs. He's all over the place, too.

Only playin' with ya about the Dregs t'...one show I saw Steve
play "Dazed and Confused", "Manic Depression", and "Shapes of
Things".

Once saw a Jorma Kaukonen/Jaco Pastorius/Rashied Ali trio at
the Lone Star NYC. They played a wide variety of s - - t, plus
a cover of Wilbur Harrison's "Kansas City".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 3:55:54 PM PST
MetalMike-
Who is in G-Force? I haven't heard that one.
Ronnie Montrose has some killer instrumental albums, also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 4:01:09 PM PST
raja99 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 4:03:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 4:18:52 PM PST
raja99-
I guess you dont like jamming. BLS is the band. They have 2 albums.The second one is called SITUATION DANGEROUS.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 4:57:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 5:16:01 PM PST
MetalMike says:
C. Gwyn
You can look up G-Force by www.gforcerocks.com. I have the Ronnie Montrose "Speed of Sound. It's very good.
Also I own the 2 albums BLS and Situation Dangerous. The name of the group for these albums is,"Bozzio Levin Stevens.
raja99
(It's garbage btw) Are you kiddn'? Don't get me started.:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 5:06:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 5:42:39 PM PST
Squire Jaco says:
Whoa! You guys are fast! That's why I'm not a very good thread steward...
(I'll make a note not to start a discussion right before I leave work to attend a business function.)

Thanks for some great suggestions. Dixie Dregs are definitely one of my favorites here too. It's tough to think of Liquid Tension or Bozzio-Levin-Stevens as jazz fusion, but those are GREAT cd's. I wish I liked Planet X more - they get just a bit too metal for me; I think they probably appeal to metal fans who are looking for some jazz tendencies?

Metheny, Scofield, Bill Connors - all superstars.

MetalMike (be nice, Squire ;-), those are all unfamiliar to me. I'll have to do some serious research - Thanks.

Anna, I have all that Bebel, Jhaveri, Mishra and Simonka....NOT! You've always got some great suggestions - Thanks!

I do notice, btw, that a very similar thread was started a while back on the (ahem) Jazz Fusion Forum of all places! (I did not know that forum existed.) But Gwyn and millionrainbows have a ton of great suggestions there too, which I will research.

I will look into ALL of these bands with which I am not familiar, so keep 'em coming (if you don't mind).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 5:07:09 PM PST
Ronnie Montrose also played lead guitar and MANDOLIN on They Only Come Out At Night. Not a Jazz Fusion album, but I thought it was interesting and my knowledge of the genre is limited.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  425
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions