Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Remember 'Eve of Destruction'? Ever hear 'Dawn of Correction'?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 7:13:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 7:17:36 AM PST
Back in the mid-60's while living in the greater Cleveland, Ohio area there was quite a fluff over the anti-war song 'Eve of Destruction'. The popularity of EoD was spreading like a napalm fire. To counter this there was a group that came into the scene that fostered an opposing view of the War.

I remember a song then (1965) which came out called 'Dawn of Correction' by a virtually unknown band named 'The Spokesmen'. It is a completely opposite take on the message on Eve of Destruction....a reactionary/conservative take.
It's actually a pretty cool song (if an opposite view). You can google it up and hear it. Lyrics are easy to understand and all.

I just never hear any references about it and thought some of you folk fans of the day might get a kick from it. Check it out.

It seems to be the only song The Spokesmen ever did. What a world back then eh?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:04:26 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
I'd never heard of it until the mid-'90s, when I checked out Jimmy Guterman and Owen O'Donnell's book 'The Worst Rock 'n' Roll Records of All Time: A Fan's Guide to the Stuff You Love to Hate' -- in the 50 worst songs, they had an entry with both "Eve..." and "Dawn...".

I remember having heard "Eve..." on Oldies radio as a kid in the late '80s or early '90s -- I liked the Byrdsy melody but was put off (as Guterman and O'Donnell were) by the petulant vocals and the over-the-top nihilism of the lyrics.

More than a decade later I bought a copy of the book, and years later I was inspired to go online and sample some of the recordings that were more obscure to me, including "Dawn...". It sounded pleasant enough (it was written by John Madara and Dave White, the same team behind "At the Hop" and "You Don't Own Me"), but again, I wasn't entirely sold on the lyrics. :\

Frankly, I don't think either song has help up particularly well, but they're kind of interesting artifacts of a certain time...

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:40:38 PM PST
The whole Vietnam era period is ripe with the stuff. One of my favorites is a King Family offshoot:

http://worldsworstrecords.blogspot.com/2010/04/lex-david-and-ric.html

Think Jimmy Cross's "I Want My Baby Back" --as a military talkie song about the Vietnam War.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:36:06 PM PST
tmoore says:
I became aware of "Dawn of Correction" when visiting a record store (this occurred within the last 10 years). I saw the cover of the Spokesmen's LP of that name. So they did at least 10 or 11 other songs besides "Dawn..." (I don't remember exactly how many songs are on the LP).

Without hearing it, a big indicator to me about the non-hipness of the song, sadly, is the fact that it is on the (American) Decca label, which was run by some older men who really didn't get what rock was about (trust me, I'm being kind with my words). If you want a laugh, get a hold of that LP and read the liner notes.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 11:25:33 AM PST
What a trip. I had never heard of "Dawn Of Correction". What a weird title and phrase for a chorus. Kind of sounds like the title of a school book, accounting 101? or something. Clumsily worded. I feel like a mathematician wrote the lyrics rather than a songwriter.

"Eve Of Destruction" was always to me just a pleasant catchy pop song. Now that it's pointed out i see the political view in it. But it seems like he just is repeating what was going on at the time and saying how crazy it was. It seemed like the end.

Both seem kind of innocuous now. But i can see if you were pro war which many were you wouldn't like the protests and criticism going on. Someone could have come up with a better reaction song. Definitely bad. Eve is still catchy now.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:36:38 AM PST
I guess what I thought so cool about 'Eve of Destruction' was just how topical it was. If you go through the verses' it covers many of the bases that were being "talked" about during that era.
The reactionary 'Dawn of Correction' tries to cover the same depth but ultimately comes across as a reactionary rip-off of 'Eve...'.
The problem with many protest songs is that the songs (when too topical) tend to become outdated faster 'cause many of the things mentioned have lost that specific urgency. I do think 'Eve of Destruction' one of the better of those 'topical' type songs however.....
...."you can leave this crazy world for four days in space,
but when you return it's the same 'ol place,
the pounding of the drums, the pride and disgrace,
you can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace,
hate your next door neighbor but don't forget to say grace......(ah, priceless)

also on youtube you can view a video of The Spokesmen performing 'Dawn of...', which is a bonified 60's hoot!

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 9:54:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2013 9:56:52 AM PDT
Andre M. says:
I was small when "Eve of Destruction" came out, but our local conservative top 40 station would not touch that or Bobby and the Vancouvers "Does Your Mama Know About Me" (1968, about interracial dating). I never heard these songs until I was a grown man in the 80s and 90s. "Eve of Destruction" is kind of hard to describe. Its very much a polemic and more interesting than good. There's a you tube clip of Shindig in 1965 in color of Barry McGuire being introduced by Jerry Lewis and I could only wonder what people of that era made of Barry's hoarse, grinding voice and the pessimistic (but historically accurate) lyrics. "Dawn of Correction," on the other hand, is so ridiculous and over the top that all you can do today is laugh when you hear it. Check some of these lyrics- "Where there once was a desert, there's vegetation./Self-government's replacing colonization. /What about the Peace Corps organization?/ Don't forget the work of the United Nations!" Gotta love it. However, contrary to popular belief, it's NOT a conservative response to "EOD" because the tune is in favor of the Voting Rights act and the UN, both of which were abhorred by the political right of that era.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions