Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Anyone else agree that AC/DC's Flick of the Switch is criminally underrated?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 25, 2014 1:00:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 25, 2014 1:01:04 PM PDT]

Posted on May 19, 2014 4:29:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 21, 2014 1:33:56 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2014 10:53:40 AM PDT
FryBaby says:
Well glad you made it to the show. I'd hate for you to miss out....lol

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2014 8:56:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 21, 2014 1:33:48 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2014 4:33:32 PM PDT
FryBaby says:
yeah you did get robbed dude and some bad drugs.....you only got 90 minutes and 13 songs according to the other AC/DC fans that were there. We got 19 songs in the greensboro NC set list.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2014 12:16:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 21, 2014 1:03:19 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2014 9:24:13 AM PDT
FryBaby says:
Well that's proof you've never attended one of their show's. they play for well over two hours.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2014 9:02:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 21, 2014 1:33:10 AM PDT]

Posted on May 16, 2014 8:05:39 AM PDT
FryBaby says:
Musically I've heard lots of better bands...live in concert there are few that are anywhere near as enjoyable as an AC/DC show.

Posted on May 9, 2014 4:57:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 21, 2014 1:31:22 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 4:40:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 21, 2014 1:25:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:58:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 12:03:11 PM PST
The album was better than 'For Those About to Rock' and their best post-'Back in Black' work until 'Stiff Upper Lip'. 'The Razor's Edge' is ruined by its production -- too clean and sanitized. 'Flick of the Switch' should have been the follow-up to 'Back in Black'. If it had been, it would have a much better reputation.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 11:50:19 AM PST
Tim L. says:
Very underrated, I rate it very high among there albums, so is Powerage.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:23:39 AM PST
@zlh67: Agreed. Bon was THE MAN, there's no question. Kudos to Brian for holding the banner all these years. Powerage is a personal favorite next to Highway, Let, Deeds and Voltage; and let's not forget the live If You Want Blood disc! If I want to hear the Johnston era, I choose Flick then Back in Black; one reason because BIB was so overplayed when I was a kid, that I practically have that embedded in the brain. I like Flick because of the overlooked qualities that it offers. Anything following BIB will always be measured against it rightly or wrongly.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:06:28 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Yeah, maybe i should revisit it, but I recall thinking of Flick of the Switch as the album where AC/DC became pretty tired and boring sounding. After Back in Black, FTATR was better sounding but the songs were not as consistently good as Back In Black. With Flick, I thought they'd pretty much run their course, ie, I didn't find much to go back to at all. I had the cassette but liked it so little that I never got it on cd. But then I don't listen to a ton of the the Brian Johnson era AC/DC. I like 'em fine but what I hear on the radio suits me fine. Thunderstruck is probably my favorite cut with him on vocals...

The BON SCOTT stuff is a different story... High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, the live "If You Want Blood...", Highway To Hell... Not the most complex or deep rock in my collection, but I still never get tired of it.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:51:20 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Flick is a solid record but I've always been partial to Blow Up Your Video...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:40:39 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> I'm hearing some familiar sounds interwoven in these Black Ice songs, mostly whose origin are former songs of the band.

Such as the D, G, A and E chords. Heh heh. "Rock 'N' Roll Train", "Back in Black", "If You Want Blood (You Got It)" and "Highway to Hell" are the same riff moved around. Malcolm Young's rhythm is so good, though, that they still sound good, and let's face it, most Chuck Berry-based rockabilly and classic rock is I-IV-V, with even less variation than AC/DC. It's the curse of 12-bar blues.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:27:47 AM PST
Nova137 says:
I'm vacuuming and listening to Black Ice again. This is a sign I like it. I especially like Skies on Fire. I'm listening to the next song, Big Jack. It has Offspring like gee tar.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:42:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:50:30 AM PST
Nova137 says:
So, I'm hearing some familiar sounds interwoven in these Black Ice songs, mostly whose origin are former songs of the band. It sounds good because it is very subtle. It doesn't sound like repetition or copy, but more of that familiar place an artist springs from (an innate sound to an artist, i.e., each member of the band to the band itself). Some are more creative than AC/DC, but I'm enjoying the new interpretations and mix of old and new in this album.

Two songs, though, sound different enough to warrant mention. Decibel is Waitin' for The Bus by ZZ Top and the beginning of Stormy May Day has shades of Led Zepp's In my Time of Dying. I'm listening to Bus and Decibel simultaneously. They are the same! lol. I wonder if they knew it. Zepp was sued for their lifting and not crediting, we will remember.
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjPAEPFaxoM

also this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M&list=PL5F8571D0DD735D7E&index=1

But, its rock and roll, the devil's music. I a'int complainin' none. ;-)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:28:08 AM PST
D. Mok says:
Back in Black is probably fuller in frequency range, but quite frankly, I don't think it has as much punch as Flick of the Switch or Black Ice. More rounded, maybe, but lacking in treble and sizzle. It has the "blurriness" common to early-'80s records, a problem which almost disappeared when 1987 came along. This "rounded" production fits Def Leppard a lot more than AC/DC. Brendan O'Brien's production is much more aggressive and punchier. Just listen to the snare drum on "Rock 'N' Roll Train". It demolishes the stuffy snare on "Back in Black". In fact, to my ear, Highway to Hell sounds better to Back in Black from a strictly production standpoint, and For Those About to Rock has the same sound, but the arena-rock nature of the songs fits the production better. None of these AC/DC records can stand up to records like Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction, Pearl Jam's Vitalogy, Slayer's Reign in Blood, Aerosmith's Pump, and other records of that ilk. It was just not a good time for rock and roll production -- too much gimmickry. Listen to Black Sabbath from 1970 to 1983 and you'll hear the decline of recorded sound -- the two-day recording of Black Sabbath's 1970 debut album sounds punchier, more aggressive, and crisper than the over-produced Heaven and Hell (1980), and especially the mangled mess of Born Again (1983).

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:01:31 AM PST
Nova137 says:
Listening to the entire Black Ice album. I like it.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 3:51:34 AM PST
Nova137 says:
I moved through Black Ice quickly, listening to a few bars of each song and really like what I heard. I then did the same with Razor's Edge, recognized Thunderstruck and Money Talks, but the rest didn't resonate in the first few bars as much as Black Ice. Not that the first few bars is a song, but with AC/DC, well, as some have reflected, maybe it is! lol I'm asking Santa for FOTS for X-mas!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:00:37 PM PST
B. rogers says:
Hmmm...D.Mok...interesting comments. I have to disagree about the drum sound...it sounded perfect on "Back In Black" in my opinion. The whole *sound* of all the instruments had much more *heft* under Mutt's production.

"The Razor's Edge" is a great production...he incorporated powerful chorus vocals and gave the band a defined sound.

I think Brendon O'Briens mix was an intentional carbon-copy of "Back In Black"'s.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:28:31 PM PST
Just listened to the whole album. I'd never heard it before. "Nervous Breakdown" is really cool. Nice groove and lick. "Landslide" is cool and "Brainshake" is too but kind of sounds like "Shake A Leg". The rest of it is kind of not memorable. Great song titles though. In fact the songs all seem to follow a formula to have a riff, say a few rhymes, then repeat the song title a few times. Which worked many times but here just unmemorable non distinct songs.

I think the AC/CD formula was becoming repetitious way repetitious. Maybe they needed a break to get the creative juices goin'.

The production seems fine to me. George Young was the best producer and capturer of the AC/DC thing, to me. The album Let There Be Rock really captures the raw electric on fire thing production wise. Like they were in your room. The feedback seems alive. Really high energy production. A live in the studio thing. Great recording and production. That dry no reverb sound they do so well really works.

The songs just aren't there. For me, it's the same on For Those About To Rock. I remember being so excited about that record and getting it on the first day. I was a little disappointed. I only dug "Snowballed" a whole lot, great riff and song.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:24:38 AM PST
Nova137 says:
I'll say. So many takes out there...!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  May 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions