ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin Fire TV Stick Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Brian Johnson or Bon Scott?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-70 of 70 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 26, 2012 2:41:04 AM PDT
Powerage is my favorite AC/DC record , so bluesy and great songs that aren't as blatantly funny like Big Balls , She's Got The Jack etc. they lost that loose blues feel after Powerage but hey Back In Black ain't double diamond platinum from just whistling Dixie .

R.I.P. Bon Scott

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 12:47:21 PM PDT
ok bon scott was my fave ,but he stupidly drank himself to death. sorry but he had it all and blew it in his early 30's. brian johnson is a fine singer for ac dc though. he has done a great job for them for many years. and the band made lots of great post scott cd's. it makes no sense to me for someone to say , I hate all the music after one singers death. ac dc made their best disc 'back in black' with johnson. so while I still like scott better , thank goodness johnson was around for what came later.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 4:36:08 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> it makes no sense to me for someone to say, I hate all the music after one singers death.

Why? If you hate Brian Johnson's voice, you hate Brian Johnson's voice.
It makes no sense if you hate Brian Johnson *because* he replaced Bon Scott. You can't force people to like a singer's voice if they genuinely don't. I can't listen to any Amy Winehouse and Joanna Newsom song because I find their voices abominable.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 1:45:33 PM PDT
I think both of them r great singers! Who doesn't luv ac dc?

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 10:33:10 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Does it matter? Band has been working the same formula for 30-plus years. Okay, you guys are badas/es. I got that back in 1980.

You have "Back In Black", you have all the AC/DC you need.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 1:14:18 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
One more in the minority for Brian Johnson. He looks the same as he did when he joined the band. Sounds the same too. Also, he was a riot every time he was on Top Gear.

It is the fault of my age and when I started liking them, but he's always been AC/DC's lead singer. I didn't know about Bon. I was too young. Same as the drummer for The Who had always been Kenney Jones to my memory. That's what I knew. That's what I like.
Your reply to S. Stalcup's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 1:35:44 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> You have "Back In Black", you have all the AC/DC you need.

Hmm, I guess you haven't heard Flick of the Switch, The Razors Edge or Ballbreaker? Same general formula, yes, but different results. Flick of the Switch is harder and more aggressive, with almost no pop leanings. The Razors Edge is slick, with processed drums, but the guitar riffs are some of the best in the band's catalog, and also higher on the fretboard than Malcolm Young's usual E, A, D and G chordal riffs. Ballbreaker sounds greasier than usual, a little less organic. Black Ice is also worth buying, because for once since 1980 Brian Johnson isn't trying to sing in his old super-high register, so his vocals sound better than they have in years.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 1:59:10 PM PDT
A customer says:
Bon Scott is one of the greatest rock frontmen of all time. Brian Johnson is just annoying.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 2:22:54 PM PDT
Zaplightning says:
I like AC/DC but seldom listen to them. But when I do it's the Bon Scott era.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:18:02 PM PST
John says:
Bon Scott, but I still like Brian Johnson's AC/DC, it just isn't as good.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:55:31 PM PST
Bon. One must give credit to Brian Johnson for obvious reasons, but Bon is the reason for why I loved AC/DC period.

Fav. Bon-era Albums are Powerage and If You Want Blood

Fav. Johnston era..Back in Black(who knew?) and Flick of the Switch, which I feel is highly underrated...

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:09:56 AM PST
Bon Scott the incredible Scottish Imp

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:43:16 AM PST
patc71s says:
Bon Scott

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 11:28:31 AM PST
I like Brian, but I'd have to choose Bon--at least you can understand what he's saying!

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 8:55:56 AM PST
flying v says:
Front man has to be Bon, singer? I like them both,I like more of Bons material overall,but Back in Black,Fly on the Wall,Black Ice are all great albums,For Those About to Rock is almost as good as those three.

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 2:55:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2015 2:58:00 PM PST
Nothintosay says:
Bon Scott , the pre Brian Johnson albums are more bluesy and a little more diverse , Down Payment Blues , Ride On- great examples . the Brian Johnson era albums all sound very similar to me but most of that stuff is pretty good too . Brian's voice can be a little irritating , but I do like him and he does have Back In Black under his belt ...great band either way

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 1:33:00 PM PST
35 years ago today.... :(

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2015 1:58:50 PM PST
JP says:
For an answer I'll just say that there's a reason EVERY AC/DC setlist to this day is mostly Bon - era songs.

And a lot of Back in Black was written before Bon Died, that's why it is head and shoulders above anything that came after it.

And shows how much influence he had over the Young brothers.

I also find it interesting that, as time went by, they changed their story and now claim not a lot was used from the sessions before Bon died. That's certainly NOT what they said at the time, which was that Brian came in and wrote new lyrics. Except for a couple songs, including Have a Drink on Me, the song's music didn't change much.

I also saw AC/DC twice with Bon, both times as the opening act. Never have seen them with Brian!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2015 2:02:59 PM PST
JP says:
Huh....Powerage has always been my favorite too, you just CAN'T lose with that track list! (Down Payment Blues). Highway to Hell is 2nd.

Well, the live If You Want Blood will ALWAYS really be #1 for me, but among studio albums...............

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 2:06:55 PM PST
JP says:
35! I remember what I was doing when I found out Bon passed!

A friend an I were in the woods, 'burnin' one', with the car stereo cranked and, when I popped a cassette out to turn it over, and the radio came on while doing so, it just HAPPENED to be right when they announced he had been found dead of alcohol poisoning!!

I even remember what was on that particular Maxell 90min 'gold foil' tape - ZZ Top's Deguello on one side and Budgie's Bandolier on the other!!!

And one of my 'parallel universe' wishes - WHAT would Back in Black have sounded like had Bon lived?

Like finding the parallel universe where Randy HADN'T gotten on that plane and had of made that 3rd Blizzard of Oz album with Ozzy?

Or....take your pick! Heck, that could be a discussion thread!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions