Customer Discussions > Rock forum

slipped by unnoticed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2012 7:57:24 PM PDT
I was just listening (again) to Blodwyn Pig's debut album, Ahead Rings Out, from 1969. Every few years, I drag it out and remember just what a great album it was. And every time, I wonder why it slipped by unnoticed. Almost no one I've ever talked to has heard of the album or the band.

So now I'm asking for other albums in the same category: What really great albums have passed us by, unnoticed by all but a lucky few?

I suspect this subject has been done to death already, but I'm not very familiar with what's out there. If you'd rather point me to a thread that already deals with this subject, please do.

Note that I originally created this post in the wrong forum.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 9:32:40 AM PDT
Mike B. says:
I think Andy Fairweather Low might fall into this category. I've never known another fan, or seen his name mentioned in a forum. He was the singer for the British 60's pop band Amen Corner, but later had a wonderful solo career. From '74 to '76 he released 3 albums on the A&M label ("Spider Jiving", "La Booga Rooga", and "Be Bop 'N' Holla"). These yielded 2 big hits in England ("Reggae Tune" and "Wide Eyed And Legless"), but did nothing in America. All were an eclectic mix of rock, reggae, pop, blues, and country. His voice may be an acquired taste for some, but I've always loved it. Over the past few decades he's mostly been a sideman, playing guitar on albums by Eric Clapton, George Harrison ("Live In Japan"), and Roger Waters - as well as touring with all of them. His 3 A&M albums were finally issued on CD, together in one package. It's become pricey, but is well worth it: Wide Eyed & Legless: The A&M Recordings

Another that comes to mind is Dana Gillespie. Diehard Bowie fans may remember her '73 album "Weren't Born A Man", which was produced by Bowie and Mick Ronson. This was released on RCA, as was her '74 follow-up "Ain't Gonna Play No Second Fiddle". Gillespie had been a folk star in England since 1967, and an actress in B-movies. "Weren't Born A Man" can only be described as folk-glam, while "...Second Fiddle" detoured into the raunchier, bluesier material she still favors (and performs at blues festivals throughout Europe). The best tracks from both RCA albums can be found on this compilation: Andy Warhol

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 9:22:18 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
"Velvert Turner Group" a protege of Hendrix that turns in the very Hendrixian effort from '72
Rodriguez "Cold Fact" said to be the Latino Dylan-but forget the comparison, this guy's original enough to stand by himself. His 2nd album "Coming from Reality" is pretty great, too.IMO

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:20:45 AM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
THE DICTATORS - My all time favorite band. Nowadays, they're finally getting recognition as a major influence on punk, much like bands such as The Stooges, MC5 & New York Dolls. Ace songwriting from Andy Shernoff, massive guitars from Scott Kempner and superguitarist Ross The Boss. And, love him or hate him, the one and only Handsome Dick Manitoba
gradually becoming full time lead singer over the band's three 1970's albums.

HYDRA - Three albums, the first two ("Hydra" & "Land Of Money") on Capricorn, plus a third ("Rock The World")
on Polydor. I guess they'd be lumped into the "southern rock" category, but to my ears, that's too simple. Lead
singer Wayne Bruce has a huge, smoky, bluesy voice, with killer songwriting across all three albums.

SLOAN - Ten albums over twenty years, not a clinker in the bunch. Sloan's last three albums ("Never Hear The End Of It", "Parallel Play" & "The Double Cross", plus 1999's "Between The Bridges") are with me at all times. If there's a band today that reminds of of the Fabs, it's Sloan.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 9:00:42 AM PDT
toni childs;white girl sings like tracy chapman. health and happiness show;the best thing to come out of hoboken since sinatra. chris whitley. the scoldees. sand rubies grace pool jakko m. jakszyk lilac time glass harp heads,hands,& feet the bears/psychodots

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 11:10:00 AM PDT
Mike B. says:
Dead Fingers Talk - "Storm The Reality Studios" (1978)

Their only album flew under the radar, not noticed by many people at all. Mick Ronson produced this fellow Hull-based act, which was kind of a gothic-punk cross of Television/Velvet Underground. Really good. Smart lyrics, high energy: Storm the Reality Studios

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 4:40:00 AM PDT
7 & 7 is:
BBC news (online) just ran an article on "Sugar Man" Rodriguez. I checked out his discography, and he's the same Rodriguez you mention. Apparently, on his first album, he used his first name as well: Sixto Rodriguez.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 12:25:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 7:15:21 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
There's a new documentary just out about him "Searching For Sugar Man" and a soundtrack that unfortunately only reiterates material from 'Cold Fact' and 'Coming From Reality'
I'm waiting for that documentary to become available.YouTube has recent live video's of his concert's. He's more than a legend in South Africa, while here in his own country he's a total mystery.He has his own website. The documentary can hurry right on up, now:Sixto Diaz Rodriguez' real story at last.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 2:54:31 AM PDT
Hinch says:
>Blodwyn Pig<

wow! That's one I had forgotten. I remember the name, but I can't recall any of their music. I'm sure I must have heard them at some time. I'll have to check them out on Youtube.

What are some songs I might remember that got airplay?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 4:31:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 4:34:50 AM PDT
>>What are some songs I might remember that got airplay?

Airplay? I'm pretty sure they (Blodwyn Pig) never got near a radio in the US. Maybe in GB?

But some of my favorites from that first album are
"It's Only Love"
"Dear Jill"
"The Modern Alchemist"
I guess that's most of the first side. The second side is good, too, but I encountered them on LP, when you could hear side 1 or side 2 100 times without ever hearing the flip. I eventually did turn the record over, but side 1 remains my favorite.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 5:25:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 5:31:29 AM PDT
Yeah I have Ahead Rings Out, a great album. It got remastered for cd in 2006. A few more:

Warhorse: Warhorse
Warhorse: Red Sea
Brainticket: Celestial Ocean (Great Krautrock album)
Yezda Urfa: Boris
Tempest: Their self titled and Another Dawn

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 6:41:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 6:41:53 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
David Lindley's first three records:
-El Rayo X
-Win This Record
-Very Greasy

And most of Warren Zevon's stuff!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 7:44:15 AM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
Rand...I have both those Warhorse albums, I've been a fan since I worked in a record shop many decades ago.

Sir Lord Baltimore : On a high school frind's recommendation, I bought the first Uriah Heep album, expecting a Deep Purple type band. But what roared outta the speakers was loud, heavy, fuzzy power trio stuff with an amazing singer, a guy who could bellow in several octaves. YOW! This made Blue Cheer sound like Heman's Hermits!
Turns out the kind folks at Mercury records had inadvertently placed copies of Sir Lord Baltimore's first album,"Kingdom Come", into the Heep cover! Talk about yer happy accident, that SLB album remains in my all time Top Ten to this day,
and I never did hear that Heep album till a few years ago.
Sir Lord Baltimore expanded to a four piece for their second and final album, "Sir Lord Baltimore" heading in a slightly less heavy, more adventurous direction. Not bad, but not ear (and mind) shattering like "Kingdom Come".
Then they split. Damn...

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 7:52:22 AM PDT
Yes! How could I forget Sir Lord Baltimore?! Great one Tub Man! Also,

Mighty Baby: Mighty Baby & A Jug Of Love
Fuzzy Duck
The Bubble Puppy: A Gathering Of Promises
The Open Mind
Arzachel

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:00:04 AM PDT
Anyone remember Bloodrock's first, self-titled album? My original copy suffered much mistreatment, and I doubt I'll ever see it on CD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 11:13:19 AM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
Bingo...Yup... Bloodrock was a pretty great band.
The entire Bloodrock catalog was reissued in the USA on the One Way label. Unfortunately, One Way went out of
business. I've been able find the first two reissues on Repertoire (both out of print, too), the live album & the last two (a 2CD set) on One Way. But it's taken a while.
The only one I've had trouble digging up was "USA", mine's a Czech copy of dubious parentage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 1:42:11 PM PDT
vivazappa:
I really liked "El Rayo X". It contains the best rendition of "Mercury Blues" I've ever heard. I grabbed up "Win this Record" the second I saw it.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 2:16:30 PM PDT
Gino says:
Anybody remember the Grease Band. recall only one album from them.
I believe they backed Joe Cocker on a tour, and I don't remember if they recorded anything. They were pretty heavy, as I remember, but at least to my knowledge, they disappeared pretty immediately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 3:46:38 PM PDT
Gino

The Grease Band recorded two albums, now available as a twofer. They were Joe Cocker's first back up band: Henry McCullogh (Wings), Chris Stainton (Clapton), Bruce Rowland (Fairport Convention) and a bass player whose name I forget. That was the band with Cocker at Woodstock. When they parted ways with Cocker, Stainton (though he played on their records)remained with Joe and the others added guitarist Neil Hubbard. Cocker's Grease Band also were Mike Harrison's backup band on the Spooky Tooth album with 'I Am the Walrus'.

Their two recordings were a lot of fun. Well worth listening to, even today.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:15:27 AM PDT
When I look up Captain Beyond or Sir Lord Baltimore on amazon, they suggest Dust albums, too. Someone tell me about Dust?

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 5:35:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 5:36:26 AM PDT
Bingo

Dust had two great albums, the s/t and Hard Attack. Not only is the music good, but I really like the Franzetta art of Hard Attack's cover. Like many groups of the 60's and 70's they got their biggest following after they had disbanded but most of their members went on to other groups. Marc Bell, the drummer worked with Richard Hell & The Voidoids and joined The Ramones and became Marky Ramone. Kenny Aaronson, the bass player toured with Edgar Winter, and Joan Jett.

Dust (Dig)

Hard Attack (Dig)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 6:37:50 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
"Morning"
"Geronimo Black"
Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come: "Galactic Zoo Dossier", "Kingdom Come" , "Journey"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 6:38:30 AM PDT
bathroom window shooting up heroine, 2 cover their [tracks]?!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 6:43:51 AM PDT
yep all about fishing and cricket 400[?] runs and 400+fish,all taylors but stopped in order not to beat the runs [fish] to keep the record straight. the 2 places mentioned are MORYUA nsw and the SCG ......................... I hope people can see the parralels.........only the DON and I know?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 6:45:09 AM PDT
i was not paid for this advert
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions