Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD Kids Edition Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Longest drum solos on rock records?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2012 6:05:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 6:05:54 AM PDT
Barry Smith says:
Name some songs on albums, which contain extremely long drum solos. They could be either studio or live albums. Of course they most likely will be from the late 60s and early 70s. Are the drum solos interesting and inventive or just plain dull? How long does the drum solo clock in?

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:32:04 AM PDT
WHile interesting in a live show, they do tend to get dull on records. The two best for my liking are
Long: Toad, Ginger Caker, Cream: Wheels Of Fire.
Short: Feel So Good, Carmine Appice, Cactus: Cactus.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:41:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 6:42:21 AM PDT
Tell you the truth, the best drum solos I have heard were from jazz players. Tony Williams and Max Roach. On a Montreaux jazz album there is a 17 minute version on "Night in Tunesia" and the song ends...the audience is clapping...and Max is still playing. Audience quiets down and Max does a five minute solo that is one of the best I have ever heard. It's not technical, it's MUSICAL.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:41:46 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
"Memorial Day" by Carly Simon features a long drum solo by Steve Gadd.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:42:55 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Also, Heart's live cover of Led Zep's "Rock and Roll" features a long drum solo by Mike Deroiser.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 6:57:57 AM PDT
Mike White says:
That drum solo by Santana's drummer at Woodstock was one of the best and groundbreaking at the time.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 2:59:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 3:01:57 PM PDT
doodah man says:
Frosty did a nice long drum solo on Lee Michaels' debut album, forget which song it was...

Of course, there's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 8:01:36 PM PDT
Jeff P. says:
Deep Purple-The Mule is excellent..On Fireball,but the best version is from Made in Japan
Kiss-100,000 years from Kiss Alive
Led Zeppelin-Moby Dick ( I think its' extended on "Song Remains the Same".)...oops..the solo i mean not Moby's ****
I'm sure theres at least 1 or 2 from Neal Peart on a Rush live album..

Its kind of short but Bill Ward on Rat Salad is quite nice..seems like he has one on Live at Last as well.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 8:17:30 PM PDT
Jeff P. says:
Mike White..Was that "Soul Sacrifice"?.I think thats the title..A great pick for sure!

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 8:18:44 PM PDT
doodah man says:
I remember a Carl Palmer drum solo during an ELP concert where he and the whole drum kit rose up and spun upside down and around. Or was it the acid?

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 9:37:47 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Mickey and Billy...on every Grateful Dead bootleg!

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 9:46:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2012 2:58:26 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
George Suranovich on 'Doggone' from LOVE "Out Here" 1969 2-LP ... uniquely interesting within the rock pantheon of 'drum solos', as I believe the late Mr. Suranovich to have been a jazz freak totally ensconced in the book of Tony Williams but with his own talent

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 11:22:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 11:23:03 AM PDT
Doodah Man~

You are partly correct as at California Jam in 1974 Carl was on a drum riser that really did rise up.
But, it was Keith Emerson that did all the spinning with a grand piano that rose up into the clouds during his solo in the middle of: "Karn Evil 9" You cannot have drums spinning upside down at the same show that the grand piano is up there 30 feet above the stage doing loop da' loops as that would be overkill!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 12:36:23 PM PDT
doodah man says:
Well, that answers that. It was the acid.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 1:06:03 AM PDT
Jake Mitchum says:
Blind Faith (1969)

Ginger Baker on "Do What You Like"...phenomenal.

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 8:16:37 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Wolf:
How about a spinning Greg Lake?

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 3:18:50 PM PDT
MTK says:
Dave Brubeck's "Take 5" drum solo is very tasty. Jazz drum solos are so delicate it hurts to hear them end sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2013 3:22:37 PM PDT
Viva ~

I'm stiil happy that Greg still had a singing voice when I attended his concert in 2012 and (get this) he can play a decent piano!

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 3:25:49 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
T.N.U.C. by Grand Funk was always pretty long on the live records

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 7:21:09 PM PDT
Kil Roi says:
Up - Black Oak's Raunch 'n' Roll
Dharma For One - Tull's Living in the Past

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 8:17:59 AM PDT
The drummer on "Take 5" is jazz great Elvin Jones. Tull's original drummer Clive Bunker does a great solo in "Live at Isle Of Wight". This guy was overlooked in the era of Baker, Bonham and Moon. Check out his solo:it is long as well as mind-blowing. He looks slightly awkward as he's playing. I should be so awkward. This is right up there with "Toad" and "Do What You Like".

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 12:04:34 PM PDT
I wrote this yesterday but it vanished. Some good picks here, Black Oak,Santana. Tull's original drummer Clive Bunker did a solo at The Isle Of Wight Festival(on DVD). This guy was overlooked in the era of Baker,Bonham and Moon. His solo is long and incredible. He looks slightly awkward at first when he's playing. I should be so awkward. Worth checking out if you're into drum solo's. Right up there with "Toad" and "Do What You Like".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Apr 10, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions