Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Surfing Music for dummy's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 110 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2012 3:21:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012 3:38:47 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
A friend of mine (PHILIP S WOLF) suggested that I start up this new discussion group. Many thnaks, it should be fun and nostalgic as well as interesting.
I named it "Surfing Music for dummy's" because, like the book series based on that self-effacing name, we can all learn about surfing, the era of surf music, about the surfing experience, and the like without prejudice.
So hey, do you remember when SURF MUSIC was `boss'? Have you ever listened to Dick Dale ("King of the surf-guitar") in your car on the way to "Surf City" (Huntington Beach, California) in the early to late 1960's? Were you a surfer or just a hodaddy? Did you wax down your surfboards and stand on the edge of the beach berm waiting for the next set of waves to come in so you could catch the outside break? Afterwards did you and your `Wahine' go across the street from the pier and catch the rising stars at the Golden Bear? Or maybe you surfed a different beach... from Rincon to Malibu and Hermosa Beaches and on down to Trestles at San Clemente, San Onofre and Sunset Cliffs? In any case, you likely listened to "surf music" where ever you went.
This thread is dedicated to SURF MUSIC and surfing. If you have a tune in mind, a surf music band you recall, or an experience along these lines then please share it... all are welcome.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 3:39:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012 3:41:49 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
I'll start things off with this one:

"Wipe Out" by The Surfaris... the release of their first single in 1963 "Surfer Joe" and "Wipe Out" rocketed them to international status . The hideous laugh and extended drum beat "intro" to "Wipe Out" made the song unique and assurred them of a hit. Nothing says "surf music" more than this one.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 3:55:46 PM PST
The Trade Winds' "New York's A Lonely Town" is my favorite surfing themed tune. Although they hailed from Providence, RI, the song could easily fit into the period right before Pet Sounds when Brian Wilson adopted the Spectorian studio sound.
Just a perfect pop tune imho.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 4:22:24 PM PST
doodah man says:
My older brother was really into surf music as we grew up in So. Calif and spent lots of time at the beach. Our own personal surfing was limited to skim boards, boogie boards and skateboards, but yeah, we used to hang out at Huntington across from the Golden Bear, as well as Laguna, Corona Del Mar, Balboa Island (The WEDGE!!) but mostly El Morro, a nice little beach between Laguna & Corona.

One of my brother's albums I remember listening to a lot was "The Challengers go Sidewalk Surfing", with the album cover showing them all on skateboards. Some great surf music there.
Obviously, there's Dick Dale, King of Surf Music.

A more contemporary surf band that I listen to are The Longboards (http://www.myspace.com/thelongboardss)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 5:24:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012 5:24:47 PM PST
Had a Hobie board...
Well, it was a skateboard as in 1963 in my town those things were very popular.
Lived in Hawaii between 1979-1982 and had a real hard time standing on top of a surfboard as my balance was slightly left of a one-legged Gooney Bird with bad eyesight. Boogie Boards ruled on Oahu and body-surfing with a McDonalds food tray was really cool.

For Surf Music you can cover the whole deal with Jan & Dean and The Beach Boys. Dennis Wilson could surf. Frankie and Annette suck!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 7:04:26 PM PST
doodah man says:
(Frankie hoped)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 7:57:06 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
@ Philip S Wolf - So you had a Hobie (skateboard)? I used to surf in Huntington Beach (the cliffs and the south side of the pier) on my cousin's long board made by Hobie Alter in the early 60's, until I could afford my own board. Hobie made some great boards with balsa wood strips. Before that I used to body surf and skim board at Imperial Beach where we lived before moving up the coast to Huntington. Thanks for the memories Philip... and thanks again for helping me do this group. BTW, Annette was hot, but you are so right about Frankie! ha.

@ doodah man - Great that you remember hanging out at HB and know about the Golden Bear. The places you mention (Laguna, Corona Del Mar, Balboa Island) are all very familiar to me. I never was brave enough to do "The WEDGE" at Newport, but I would go there sometimes just to see guys wipe out when body surfing there. Thanks for the memories doodah man!!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 7:59:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012 8:11:10 PM PST
Before the Turtles became the Turtles, it was a surf-rock band known as the Crossfires. They had a groovy surf record titled "Surfer Dan." You may be able to find it on a Turtles compilation. Plus, be sure to check out the Trashmen. The band's big hit was 1963's "Surfin' Bird," but there's more to them than that. Below is a link to a reissue I recommend, as well as a Crossfires/Turtles release. Good luck in your music search, and HANG TEN!!!

Surfin Bird - The Trashmen
Out of Control - The Crossfires

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 9:22:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 9:26:15 AM PST
Michael ~

Line from "Endless Summer" ~ "The Wedge...The Dirty Ol' Wedge!" and you know just what they are talking about as I have been to Newport Beach. My wife's mother (shiver) lives a block over from the Pacific in Seal Beach so I have hung my toes in the sand there and looked for Moondoggie on more than a few occasions. Santa Cruz has a spot called Steamer Lane and the coast of San Mateo county has hosted some huge winter monsters. But I tried to become Gary Lopez at Waikiki in the seventies on one/two footers and ate the break more than once. I found a spot on the western coast of the Big Island and bodysurfed a great break for a few hours until a few hundred tour buses pulled in there and ruined a nice li'l spot.

On the hottest (62 degrees!) day of the year in northern Scotland in 1986 I took the top off the RX7 and blasted Beach Boys cassettes and headed to my favorite deserted beach on the North Sea on the top of the UK and headed into a nice shorebreak. Ten minutes later I came out with a pretty blue skin tone and spent the next few days getting warm again with a local girl and many pints of ale and within a week I could talk once again.

Just some "Tales from the Tube" from a sandcrab.
And as you dedicated this thread to me I shall stop by and see just how it's doing.
Best Surf Movie has to go to: "Escape From LA" and Kurt Russell that escapee from Disney Studios......
O.K. Annette has got a great chest but Frankie is a CHUMP!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 11:44:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 12:10:24 PM PST
Bite The Hand That Feeds (Part 2) - Agent Orange

Plus they cover:
Miserlou
Pipeline
Mr. Moto
Out Of Limits
Surf Beat
Exotic

Guitarist Mike Palm is the deal-

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 3:47:29 PM PST
I'd also recommend Hall of Fame inductee, the Ventures, one of surf-rock's greatest combos. The band book-ended the '60s with two great hits, "Walk, Don't Run" (1960) and "Hawaii 5-0" (1969), but recorded some impressive LPs, as well. Definitely worth exploring.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:02:21 PM PST
The Raybeats were a NYC band specializing in a kind of mutated surf music. I loved 'em for the unheralded axe work of Jody Harris.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 11:14:25 AM PST
Michael Ary says:
Pipeline by The Chantays has to be my favorite surf tune, named of course after the Banzai Pipeline in Hawaii. Like many surf rock songs, it's style was the reverse of normal rock tunes, having the rhythm guitar, the bass guitar, and the electric piano at the forefront, while the lead guitar and drums were mixed into the background.

@PHILIP S WOLF thanks for sharing that experience. This is the kind of thing I had envisioned this forum to be... mixture of favorite surf music and experiences... place names, tunes, and good times.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 12:01:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2012 12:01:47 PM PST
I'd add the Rivieras to the list/discussion, too. The band recorded some great California beach music in the mid-1960s. It's biggest hit was "California Sun," originally cut by Joe Jones, the man who hit the charts in 1960 with "You Talk Too Much." Former Mouseketeer and beach movie regular, Annette Funicello, also cut a nice version of "California Sun."

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 1:32:42 PM PST
Puffany says:
For a great Surf compilation, try out 'The Birth of Surf' - awesome intro to the genre.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 4:33:42 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
@ Puffany
Yeah! I've got that one. Good call if you are looking for a compilation with a lot of the surf tunes that were big hits at the time. Its got Dick Dale's Miserlou, Chantays Pipeline (mentioned above as my favorite), and The Surfaris Wipe Out among other hits. But it also has Surf Rider by The Lively Ones and Baja by The Astronauts which were big favorites of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 4:35:41 PM PST
davyboy says:
Let's Go Trippin' - Dick Dale

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 5:03:37 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
@davyboy - wow! talk about bringing back memories... "Let's Go Trippin' now that's a tune I havn't thought of in years! I used to go to dances and find dates at places like Balboa's Rendezvous Ballroom (before it burned down) and The Retail Clerks Auditiorium in Buena Park. We'd dance forever to song's "Let's Go Trippin", "Surfer's Stomp" and "Mr. Moto". Thanks for the memory davyboy.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 11:56:13 AM PST
Michael Ary says:
Surfer's Stomp - The Marketts
A classic by the group who later had a hit called "Out of Limits" ("originally entitled "Outer Limits", named after the television program of the same name; however, Rod Serling sued the Marketts for quoting the 4 note motif from his television show "The Twilight Zone" without his approval" -Wiki)

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 9:39:21 AM PDT
Michael Ary says:
Anyone remember dancing "The Stomp" to the "Bristol Stomp"? This was another favorite dance tune at "surfers' stomps." If you were around in the very early 1960's you probably did. Otherwise, you may have heard it during broadcasts of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race from the Bristol Motor Speedway where they refered to massively wrecked racecars as having been "Bristol Stomped."

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 9:43:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 1:14:50 PM PDT
Many won't consider it a surf song but: "Telstar" by The Ventures is a good thing to have stuck in your skull when you are watching the next set roll in...

Don't know the "Bristol Stomp" but, when my sister's friends would attempt "The Monkey" (and look pretty dumb in the process) I would make funny animal noises and get stuff thrown at me.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 2:34:36 AM PDT
I think the plural for dummy is dummies.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 5:04:51 AM PDT
Sha57 says:
Bombora - The Atlantics - Classic!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 6:01:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 6:03:21 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
The Beach Boys covered Let's Go Trippin' and was a staple of their early concerts.

Bustin' Surfboards by the Tornadoes is one of my favorite surf tunes. It was given new life when it appeared in the film and the soundtrack Pulp Fiction in 1994.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 7:24:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 7:24:56 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I liked (70's) Honk's "Five Summer Stories"
They were set to open for Chicago/Beach Boys at Anaheim Stadium in 75...
They cancelled and I was bummed...
Even if I was only going because I was working out there that night selling ice cream...
Beach Boys killed...
It was cold for May...I didn't sell much ice cream that night but I did get a free show!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  110
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions