Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Pitchfork promotes too much lame pop

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2012 9:05:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012 7:22:12 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
How many agree with me that Pitchfork promotes too much lame pop? Bon Iver the album of the year? Seriously? And that Animal Collective album Merriweather Post Pavilion? Really?

And how about those absurdly precise rankings -- 7.3, 6.8, 8.2, etc.

There's a lot of great information there, sure. I've been turned on to some good new bands that I wouldn't have run across otherwise, like the Liars. (The Liars' Sisterworld didn't even make it to the Top 50 for 2010 though -- really? Seriously?)

But if something *looks* interesting, I always listen to some clips to make sure it actually *sounds* interesting.

Over time I find it annoying that there seem to be so many "Pitchforkheads" whose taste is totally shaped by the website.

I was going to post this in the Alternative Rock forum, but it looks like they've all drunk the Kool-Aid over there...
Your reply to Autonomeus's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 11:28:09 AM PDT
Thanks, R H, went to the site, never heard of it, thought maybe turn me on to a cool music site.

I didn't know one artist on the whole page, not one, not even in the advertisements. I feel old and outta touch.

I like the way the All Music guide has redone their site. Not the same type of site but the subject is music and it's still not perfect but still fun to puruse.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 12:43:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012 12:48:55 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Yeah, AMG is very useful, and their new design is cool -- they often have soundclips when Amazon doesn't.

I'm 55, Anthony, and Pitchfork is a good site for info on new bands that I might not otherwise hear of, that's for sure.

But they skew to the poppier side.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 1:03:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012 1:04:01 PM PDT
Pitchfork is the *classic* "too-hip-for-hip" alternative site. They follow every precise standard of rock criticism as it's developed over the last thirty years--a very pro-punk, anti-prog attitude, a lot of focus on the lyrics, and a lot of longwinded pontification in the reviews. Anything even remotely progressive is trashed. That said, I've agreed with some of their reviews on occassion (I liked the Animal Collective album), and they can highlight new bands I've never heard of. But at the same time they also seem to rabidly support a lot of mediocre, totally nondescript bands that don't move me one way or the other--and seem to support them precisely because they are so bland!

I suppose somebody has to represent the uber-elitist hipster crowd, though.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 1:45:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012 1:47:05 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Anti-prog, yeah, I guess so. Maybe I am too, I don't know that I've listened to much in that category since I was into Yes back in the mid'-70s...

But Pitchfork did turn me on to "post-metal." Based on their review, I belatedly checked out Pelican's "The Fire In Our Throats..." album, which is great, and that led me to Isis, and Russian Circles, and eventually to Neurosis, which is now one of my favorite bands.

And some have even said that "post-metal" has prog influences, so perhaps Yes finally has some company...

But when I want something really progressive I listen to contemporary classical -- lots of it, actually!

Cheers, Richard

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 11:56:44 PM PDT
Cool Michael and R., i get the drift of hipper than thou. I guess i wouldn't even get the references and my references would be considered cheesy.

I can't belive that the same rock critisism of the past has continued so long, bummer. What does it mean anymore pro punk anti prog? Nothing. Even in the 80's this persisted. Almost all of the stuff the critics does not hold up. Fashion does pertain to music but if it's the only element it won't last.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 6:26:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 6:30:36 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Pitchfork and other sources report that Thurston Moore has joined the black metal band Twilight, and will appear on their new album due out this fall. He and Kim Gordon split up recently and this seems to confirm that it's the end of Sonic Youth.

What do you make of it?

I had never heard of this band. Turns out Aaron Turner of Isis joined Twilight for their last record of 2010. I wondered what he'd been up to since disbanding Isis...

I've been belatedly catching up with post-metal and some black metal over the past year, and I guess Thurston has been moving in that direction as well.

He has another new band, Chelsea Light Moving, which is apparently folkier. Maybe he's splitting into heavier and lighter halves.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 6:44:19 AM PDT
Pitchfork is too hipster for their own good, but at least I know if I like an album they like, then I'm hip too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 6:48:11 AM PDT
RH,

I knew Thurston and Kim had split up, but I wasn't aware that they intended to end Sonic Youth. Even though I haven't really enjoyed any of their albums from the last 10 years, I still have a long standing loyalty to the band, and I'd be sad to hear it all come to an end.

Anyone heard Lee Ranaldo's recent solo album? I always liked his SY songs. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm wondering if it's good.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 6:56:47 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
I saw Sonic Youth live in Prospect Park in Brooklyn in the summer of 2009, and it was a great show. Now I'm really glad I saw them again before they broke up.

I thought A THOUSAND LEAVES was their last really fantastic album, and of their more recent ones, SONIC NURSE is probably the best, though admittedly I haven't heard them all.

I've only heard soundclips from Lee's new album. It sounds quite good -- a standard song format, which is a first for him. Nels Cline on guitar, that's gotta be good...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 7:37:34 AM PDT
Yeah, it looks like it should be good. I agree with you about the latter day albums, too.
I got to see them four times total - "Goo" tour, "Washing Machine" tour, "Thousand Leaves" tour, and "NYC Ghosts and Flowers" tour (I quite liked that last album, 2/3 of it at least).

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 7:42:10 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
I saw them on a double bill with Public Enemy in Chicago in early 1991 -- that was something!

There was a police riot afterward after some plainclothes undercover cops jumped some anti-war protesters and the crowd, not knowing they were cops, fought to defend the protesters.

I accidentally missed the whole thing, because my girlfriend lost her gloves and we were looking for them, emerging to find the aftermath and wondered what the hell had happened...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 9:52:10 AM PDT
Wow, that's messed up.... whoooeee
The Jesus Lizard opened up for them when I saw them around that same time, at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill. That was an unforgettable show.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:27:50 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
It occurs to me that perhaps past a certain age a band called Sonic *Youth* really shouldn't have continued.

It's like the Who playing "My Generation" after they got old. Only Keith Moon got it right...

Cheers, Richard

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:34:18 AM PDT
@R.Hutchinson: LOL Actually most rock bands should call it quits after the members hit the age of about 35. It's like boxing in that way.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:38:42 AM PDT
I think the average age of the Rare Goat band is 45. I'm the youngest of the four, at age 43. What are we thinking.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:41:02 AM PDT
@Rare Goat: Given what I know about you from these threads, I'm sure your band *rocks*. You would be the exception to the rule, I'm sure! :)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 12:32:02 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
You had the good sense not to put the word "youth" in your name. Goats can be rare whatever their age.

If you started out as the "Crotchety Codgers" or "Old Folks Boogie" (Little Feat song) you could grow *into* your name instead of growing out of it.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 12:45:06 PM PDT
This is true. I'm glad we didn't keep our early name "The Well Hungarians".

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 9:14:55 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
Pitchfork today launched a People's List vote.

Open for voting until August 17th, submit your choice of the best albums from 1996-2011, since Pitchfork began.

Your list can be anywhere from 20 to 100 albums long.

Should be fun!

Cheers, Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 6:22:33 AM PDT
Autonomeus says:
The People's List is up today on Pitchfork.

My Top 40 list has only 3 overlaps with the Top 200:

PJ Harvey -- Let England Shake
GY!BE -- Lift Your Skinny Little Fists...
Beck -- Odelay

It just confirms that for the most part I inhabit a different sonic realm from Pitchfork.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 6:15:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 23, 2012 6:30:49 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 6:29:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 23, 2012 6:32:44 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 6:33:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 6:39:35 AM PDT
brainhead says:
Holy god Amazon. You're deleting my comments because I'm simply referencing a band that has a swear word in their name? YOU EVEN FEATURE THE BAND WITH THEIR NAME UNCENSORED ON YOUR FREAKING SITE AND HAVE AUDIO CLIPS OF THEIR ALBUMS.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 6:35:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 6:48:30 AM PDT
brainhead says:
Hutch, part of the problem I have with Pitchfork is how its seemingly infiltrated everything. Type in an album they've recently reviewed and then look at the Amazon recommendations. It will be loaded with nothing but other albums they're reviewed and given good scores. Not to mention it's all over the map. "If you like Japandroids you'll just LOVE Beach House" No. No I won't. The ONLY reason those two bands would ever be mentioned in the same breath is because they both got plugged by Pitchfork. It would be like telling someone who's a huge Slayer fan that they should really check out Belle and Sebastian, they'll love it.

It reminds me of how things were in the mid 90s. "Oh do you like Radiohead? Then you also like 311, Dave Matthews, Korn, Oasis and Rage Against the Machine!" Except now instead of calling the music Alternative, it's all Indie. Ugh.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jul 28, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions