Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Brian Johnson or Bon Scott?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 70 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 13, 2012 6:46:36 AM PST
Savage Lucy says:
Wow I did not realize how many people preferred Bon over Brian.

I hate to say I prefer either, because as many have stated the band as a whole took a different direction when Brian joined. I guess I go with Brian because I prefer their heavier sound. I do line the Bon albums, but they're just a tad sillier in tone. While I do like silly music their humor doesn't do it for me so much.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 12:46:57 PM PST
Bon. Although if Brian sounded as good as he did on Back in Black and For Those About to Rock on all of his albums, id say him. Later in his career, starting especially with The Razors Edge, he developed that terrible raspy sound. it was much more subdued on the 1st 2 albums (and even on Flick of the Switch)for what i think is a perfect rock voice, but now it is awful.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 6:44:37 PM PST
Working Man says:
Bon Scott. Back in Black was the last AC/DC album I ever bought and probably because Scott actually contributed to that album before his death (not sure how much though). Aside from Back in Black, I never cared for Brian Johnson and rarely listen to AC/DC anymore.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 7:34:13 PM PST
Brian Johnson was really more a minor leaguer who got into a very good job. Johnson has been very good at his role, a pro, but never pushed the band. He played his role, played it well, AC/DC was very successful, but the band was boring after the well produced Back in Black.

Bon Scott was unique, good and or bad. Bon was funny too. One wonders what would have happened if Bon was still alive today. Bon Scott may have become a rock star icon on the level of Ozzy, Tyler, Bono...

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 7:47:57 PM PST
All the dozens of times this question has been asked here, Bon always wins by a landslide. I vote Bon. Also Dave over Sammy, and Ozzy over Dio.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 3:03:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 5:17:03 PM PST
That campiness factor is exactly what makes the Bon era so great for me! Bon was unique...he just had that "it" factor that's rare in frontpersons.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 7:19:00 PM PST
So, did anyone see the cool episode of That Metal Show on VH1 classic with Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick? He has some cool Bon stories. And sums him up in a short sentence by saying , he was like a pirate , lol , very funny. Bon had the nice turns of phrase and a unique really Australiany kind of childishness. Just a cool songwriter and singer.

Posted on May 7, 2012 10:09:18 PM PDT
J. Murphy says:
I grew up on ac/dc. First time I saw them was on a late night TV show with Aerosmith back in the late 70's. Aerosmith was going through their drug era so they were not that good so when ac/dc came on the audience went nuts...I Love Brian but I don't think he even comes close to bon. Really, watch videos of bon scott, he was the epitome of a bad boy, great stage presence, he owned the stage. I maybe predaceous I admit but comparing bon to Brian is like comparing a diamond to a cubic zirconia

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 6:28:23 AM PDT
Hip O Critic says:
Anthony "Australiany" Ha ha that is very original - normally Aussie would have done the trick.

Posted on May 8, 2012 6:40:58 AM PDT
Hip O Critic says:
I prefer Bon - AC/DC playing on the back of a truck, bagpipes and all going down Swanston Street, Melbourne doing "It's a Long Way To The Top" typifies the charisma of the Bon Scott era.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1iR2Wi3u5o

Posted on May 8, 2012 8:59:51 AM PDT
mac says:
I saw them on their first Aussie tour (they were teenagers mostly) and Bon Scott was ingrained into my subconsciousness and will always be their singer. No disrespect towards Brian.

Posted on May 8, 2012 9:14:20 AM PDT
MK Hill says:
Justin Beaver

Posted on May 8, 2012 10:00:23 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
Brian Johnson. Bon Scott was a sexier frontman, but AC/DC's songwriting only started really taking off with Highway to Hell. The Brian Johnson era had better songs.

Also, Brian Johnson is one of the great nerdy frontmen. Not nearly as attractive as Bon Scott. Johnson was the ultimate underdog, which was great for AC/DC.

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:21:15 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
AC/DC got better production on H2H from Mutt Lange, who tightened up their arrangements to make the songs more concise and radio friendly, but as far as writing goes, I'll take the songs on Dirty Deeds or High Voltage over H2H.

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:46:38 AM PDT
Either way the albums were with Bon. The writing on Back In Black is good but it went downhill fast. Bon is the man.

Posted on May 11, 2012 10:41:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 10:42:13 AM PDT
I like both versions of AC DC. I don't see that Brian and Bon are in competition. Bon gave us the original AC DC, which at the time was a unique new sound in rock. Brian was able to help the band continue so that we could hear more. I love them both...

Posted on May 11, 2012 6:33:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 6:08:34 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
Also, Bon Scott loved Brian Johnson's singing. I can understand people who preferred Scott (Scott's voice had sex appeal; Johnson's doesn't), but they respected each other.

Posted on May 11, 2012 9:03:00 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
When did Bon Scott ever hear much less comment about Brian Johnnson's singing? Not disputing your claim, but since Brian Johnson didn't really do anything that grabbed the public's attn until after Scott was dead, I wouldn't have thought Johnson was ever on Scott's radar.

For me, I don't know if it's sex appeal so much as just personality in general. That and just a preferable and more versative voice. Johnson's got the gravelly growl thing down and can put some power behind it (or used to could anyway), but... that's it. Scott had more range and versatility and to my ears anyway, just a more aesthetically pleasing voice (although neither were what I'd call great rock singers like a Freddie Mercury or a Roger Daltrey).

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:23:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 6:02:26 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> When did Bon Scott ever hear much less comment about Brian Johnnson's singing?

Strange for a Bon Scott fan to not know this piece of AC/DC lore. When Brian Johnson was with Geordie, Bon Scott saw the band at a live show and then raved to his AC/DC bandmates, "You have to see this guy". Scott compared Johnson's singing to Little Richard's and cited his incredibly high notes. Brian Johnson actually had appendicitis and was in great pain that night, which some writers have jokingly said was the reason he'd sounded so ferocious. When Scott died, they remembered Johnson's name and dug him out of obscurity; Geordie had broken up by then and Johnson was doing little singing gigs for money while running a garage business.

> For me, I don't know if it's sex appeal so much as just personality in general.

Probably both. Brian Johnson had a bigger range; Bon Scott had more varied deliveries.

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:09:04 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
I'm a fan of AC/DC's music and greatly prefer the Bon years, but they're not a group I've done much reading on. Interesting tale though. I knew Johnson was from a band called "Geordie", but never heard that Bon was the one who'd brought him to the attn of the rest of the AC/DC. Talk about a twist of fate for Johnson.

Did AC/DC audition anyone else?

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:19:28 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> Did AC/DC audition anyone else?

Yes, but apparently the singers didn't choose the songs the Young brothers liked. If I remember correctly, the other singers were going for the classic-rock pantheon. Brian Johnson asked to sing Ike and Tina Turner's "Nutbush City Limits", which made the Young brothers perk up, and then they did "Whole Lotta Rosie". The story goes that when it was Johnson's turn, he had waited so long that the band couldn't locate him at first, then they finally found Johnson playing pool with AC/DC's crew, which made them decide that they could work with him just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 8:12:25 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
That's pretty funny. And interesting that a band as big as AC/DC would let the auditioning singers choose what material they wanted to sing and even let them include non-AC/DC songs. I would have though AC/DC would have given each singer a list of what they considered to be their most challenging and/or most critical songs and had singers learn those to see how they sounded and go from there, but I guess AC/DC does things a little differently.

It obviously worked though and I've long cited AC/DC as the band that replaced a legendary singer the RIGHT way: find someone who fits what you want to do moving forward moreso than a clone of what you had in the past. It's riskier for sure but the only way to move forward. All these bands hiring American Idol soundalikes are just more concerned about hanging on to what they have and will be forever stuck in the past. And they deserve it.

Thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 12:38:35 PM PDT
just thought i'd mention Dave Evans ac/dc first front man single "can i sit next to you girl". But BON SCOTT is the man just for the humour alone.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 6:35:58 AM PDT
Mark says:
Bon.

Posted on May 28, 2012 11:05:52 AM PDT
Bon Scott. No disrespect to Brian Johnson as the band has done really well with him but I really only listen to Bon Scott era songs. Powerage is one of my favorite albums.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2011
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions