Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Most Boring Artist or Group

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 171 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 3:32:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 3:33:00 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:
B-Jak, I'm not a Diana Krall fan per se (I do think that her voice is a bit on the weak side), but her music is in the traditional, jazzy lounge vein and more about control and delivery than Norah Jones's. I agree that Krall has presence and command of her music.
Jones, in contrast, feels like she's always in look of producers or styles to please the mainstream. She has a slightly dusky voice that's fine for jazz, but her music is almost just pop music with artificial jazz flavoring.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 4:11:39 PM PDT
Lots of bands were decent at one point, fizzled sometime during the '80s, then tried to revive their career years later with a more soft rock feel. Its that adult contemporary comeback I find as nauseating as Air Supply has always been. The main culprits are (off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more):

REO, Doobie Brothers, Chicago...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 5:21:44 PM PDT
Bill Laine says:
... J Geils, Blue Oyster Cult...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 5:24:29 PM PDT
Bill Laine says:
Fire and Rain: Does he hit more than three notes in the whole song???

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 5:42:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2012 8:26:29 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
"I think it was in an interview with Jeff Bridges he said one of The Eagles--Don Henley, maybe?--remains angry, to this day, over what The Dude said about hating The Eagles in The Big Lebowski..."

----

I think it was Glenn Frey. I read in a 2008 Rolling Stone story about how the soundtrack came together and it touched on that. Pretty funny, actually....

Lebowski was of course not a huge budget film, but they were REALLY wanting to use "Dead Flowers" over the end credits. Even though the version they wanted was performed by Townes Van Zandt, they still had to go through Stones management to negotiate the licensing fee and of course there aren't many artists bigger than the Stones, so they were almost afraid to ask what it would cost. Turns out it was former Stones mgr Allen Klein who owned the rights to that particular song. T Bone Burnett was serving as musical archivist for the film and as he tells it, "Klein wanted $150,000." So Burnett begged Klein to come down and just watch a draft of the film. According to Burnett, "It got to the part where The Dude says "I hate the effin' Eagles, man!" and Klein stood up and said "That's it! You can HAVE the song!"

And for the record, apparently Burnett agreed with The Dude: "The Eagles sort of single-handedly destroyed that whole scene that was brewing back then."

They then report on how the Eagles line in the movie infuriated Glenn Frey. Per Jeff Bridges, "I ran into Frey and he gave me some sheet. I can't remember what he said exactly, but my anus tightened a bit."

Now me, I love the Big Lebowski and I love the Dude -- there IS no greater comeback than, "Yeah... well... that's like, your opinion, man" -- but that said, I hafta confess that I like some of the Eagles' stuff! Hopefully I don't get kicked out of the Urban Achievers for that....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 5:45:11 PM PDT
How old are you, 16?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 7:49:40 PM PDT
Best post ever. LOL.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 1:19:42 PM PDT
Most all music can be both boring and exciting depending on your personal taste, perspective or mood but when the artist is bored with their own music, that when they fit the title of 'Most Boring'. I think that the Grateful Dead were probably the most boring band because when I saw them in Austin (Manor Downs) in about 1984, they were so boring --playing the same riffs over and over and with their backs facing the audience as if they could've cared less that we were even there!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 1:21:19 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Wow. A band so boring that they too are bored at their shows....?

And yet, the legion of Dead-heads is so numerious. Is it the kool-aid?

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 1:32:34 PM PDT
mrajfura says:
Sorry metal bands are not boring. Some are annoying especially when all they do is growl. They are too loud to be boring and you can't sleep for sure. However Greatful Dead, James Taylor boring. Motorhead has some good stuff, but some of it is boring. Long live Metal!!!

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 1:36:21 PM PDT
Louise says:
I never get bored with this clip, Bob Weir 23 years ago, sigh................ gorgeous :))

http://youtu.be/VYCJ5qkVqX8

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 1:40:11 PM PDT
Lecia Smith says:
everyone has an opinion.... everyone has a favorite band or bands..... :)

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 8:32:18 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I wasn't going to comment in this discussion because it's all up to personal preference. The band that came to mind initially is a band I like a lot - Pink Floyd. They are kind of slow tempo and relaxing to the point of boring.

I had to post because I saw someone post that J. Geils Band was boring. Now, their studio work may not be everyone's thing but I saw them live and they entire audience was on their feet for the entire show. This is no exaggeration, now sure they may have been a holdout or two, but none I could see in the outdoore stadium. They were anything but boring, they are to this day probably the best live band I ever saw and my list of bands is not short and it includes some very, very well known and great bands.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 5:51:02 AM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
U2, stop making records & go save the World Bono!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:16:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 8:16:46 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Chicago post Terry Kath!

GEILS RULES!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:44:37 AM PDT
I was at that show. It was godawful hot to boot. Weir forgot the lyrics to "El Paso," a song he must have sung hundreds of times.They were less than prolific as songwriters. I recall one truly awful drum solo as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:48:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 8:50:33 AM PDT
I would tend to agree that the kool-aid was the draw because the crowd was WAY more interesting than the band was!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:57:53 AM PDT
lowriderman says:
Great line! Best laugh I've had in a while!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 10:02:10 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Most opening acts!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 1:19:28 PM PDT
I would have to say that the most boring acts for me are Phish, the Grateful Dead, James taylor, and Tom Waits.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 1:49:42 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Working Man --- I agree with you on Floyd, at least somewhat. That's why I prefer "The Wall" and "The Final Cut". The songs are shorter/more concise and with waaaaay less ambient type space muzak that (I feel) kinda plagued them certainly from 1968-71. With Dark Side and WYWH, the songs became stronger, but many still had that same dreamy soundscape feel that can tend to lull you if you let it. "Animals" was a nice change and I like that album a fair amount, but while I recognize the achievement of albums like Dark Side and WYWH, the only Floyd albums I really, really like and listen to on a regular basis are The Wall and The Final Cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 3:59:34 PM PDT
A. Dodge says:
Boring doesn't mean it can't be loud. Repetitive, and non-creative is boring, and there are lots of very boring metal bands

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 2:39:07 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
I hate to say it but since you asked -- I'm bored to tears by both Pink Floyd And Porcupine Tree. I guess "prog" just isn't my thing, never has been. I think it's those earnest sounding vocals along with the snoozing spacey music on almost every track. I know, people rave and rave about both. I can't even get through an album.

James Taylor, and also Grateful Dead are mostly boring, I agree. Interesting someone mentioned Roky Erickson a couple of pages back on this thread. I recently became very interested in the old 60's band "Thirteenth Floor Elevators", am planning on getting the new box set, can't wait!

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 3:23:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 3:24:11 PM PDT
Hooter & the Blowfish. Monotone voiced singer with a bar band as backup. *Yawn*

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 6:02:05 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
John Lennon.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  90
Total posts:  171
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2009
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions