Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Best or most clever cover songs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 138 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 9:00:25 PM PST
Brett Vice says:
Interesting that you should mention "Cherish". Lately, I've been listening to Barry Manilow's cover smash-up of "Cherish/Windy" (both originally by The Association) FEATURING The Association. I wouldn't say it's great, vocally, but I find it oddly addicting. I love singing to it in the car.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 9:06:09 PM PST
Brett Vice says:
I love Bangles' cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter" and Alien Ant Farm's version of "Smooth Criminal". And I believe Ozzy Osbourne did a cover of "Pictures Of Matchstick Men" for a movie soundtrack.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 9:59:24 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
Don't know if this has been mentioned before but, David Bowie and Bryan Ferry (and perhaps others) both released whole albums of just covers. Bowie's was called "Pin Ups" and Ferry's wsa "These Foolish Things".

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 6:16:03 AM PST
mac says:
"Summertime Blues" by the Flying Lizards is a hoot!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 12:33:00 PM PST
JBug says:
More great covers...
Sheryl Crow and Eric Clapton's cover of Hendrix's Little Wing
Robert Palmer's cover of the Gap Bands's Early in the Morning
Robert Palmer's cover of the Beatles' Not a Second Time

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 2:31:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 2:46:52 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
I just came across Tom Jones' cover of Prince's song "Kiss". That seems fitting, though I doubt anyone can top Prince's version! He also does "Mama told me not to come" (Three Dog Night) on same album, And "Burning Down the House" ! (talking heads).

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:56:51 PM PDT
"Ballad of the Green Berets" -- Elvis Hitler
"Norwegian Wood" -- The Brothers Four
"I'm Not Saying" -- Nico (Gordon Lightfoot song)
"As Tears Go By" -- Pat Boone (Rolling Stones' song c. 1965)
"It's a Small, Small World" -- Slim Whitman
"Great Balls of Fire" -- Georgia Gibbs
"I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends" -- Evolution Control Committee (retitled "What Would You Do If I Sang Auto Tune")

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 5:18:22 PM PDT
Brett Vice says:
"What Would You Do I I Sang Auto Tune". That's funny. :)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 6:35:45 PM PDT
Jules says:
Last Kiss covered by Pearl Jam, I liked their version better than the original. Also, Turn the Page as covered by Metallica, I like Bob Seger's version, but Metallica adds their customary anger to the song.

Has anyone seen the kid named Noah do his cover of LMAFO song 'Sexy and I Know It'? Go to u-tube and check it out if u haven't...it's great!

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 11:31:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 12:45:15 AM PDT
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? - Tiny Tim
(Yes, it is indeed a cover of the 1979 Rod Stewart hit.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_jlF-sRqk

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:12:29 AM PDT
He also did a version of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven," too.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 12:40:46 AM PDT
B-Jak says:
Danny Gatton has done some amazing things with cover tunes. My fave,though, is his version of the Beach Boys' "In My Room". Who needs vocals? The guy nails the....for lack of a better word right now, melancholy in a way only hinted at in the original. Listening to Danny's take is a visceral experience.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 7:03:50 AM PDT
Up 2 Late says:
I don't know if you would call it the 'best' or 'clever', but I do like Godsmack's recent cover of Joe Walshs' "Rocky Mountain Way"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:44:11 PM PDT
Jules says:
Just listened/watched Godsmack on u-tube. It was good, I liked it. Thanks for mentioning it. Love them!

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:51:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 6:53:06 AM PDT
Up 2 Late says:
Jules: Glad you liked it. I haven't seen the video yet!

I just listened/watched to this one last night: "Higher Ground" - Red Hot Chili Peppers cover of Stevie Wonder's song.

Another one I REALLY like is Metallica's version of "Whiskey in the Jar"!!

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:52:06 AM PDT
Jules says:
Up 2 Late-I Love the Metallica version of that song! My son told me its an old Irish bar song, but they have a way of making something their own. BTW, I heard a story about Metallica during a 'jam' session, didn't know 'House of the Rising Sun' because they never do cover songs! The reporter went on to say that being the musicians they are, they were able to catch on and join in quickly! I thought it was funny and just shows how unique they are!

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:03:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 8:09:31 AM PDT
Up 2 Late says:
.....and truly gifted!!

Isn't it funny when our kids can't 'enlighten' us about *our* music? Mine does it all the time. Fortunately, we like the same music :)

Oh, another one just came to mind..... Seether covered Wham's "Careless Whisper". It started out as a joke, but became a big hit! I didn't like the original, but [IMO] Seether can make ANYTHING sound good!!!

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 9:01:42 AM PDT
Jules says:
I'll have to check that out, I bet it is good. I like Seether, too. On that subject of unusual covers, 'Faith' by George Michaels the way Limp Bizquit does it! Hated the thirst version, laughed when I heard the 'new'. IMO the screaming version was much better!

Yes, my oldest son was two or three when The Black Album came out-we caught him singing along with the words of 'Enter Sandman'. He loved it, did not find it scary at all! Recently he has introduced me to some of the 'young' music I might like-Drive by Truckers, Jamey Jonson, Zac Brown Band. We both don't like Nickleback, lol. His dog is named Hank after Hank Williams!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 1:46:04 PM PDT
Stiff Little Fingers - Johnny Was
Circle Jerks - Put A Little Love In Your Heart
UK Subs - She's Not There
The Jam - So Sad About Us
Therapy? - Isolation
Killing Joke - Bodies
D.O.A. - War

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:24:45 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
Rage Against the Machine does a cover of Bob Dylan's "Maggie's Farm".

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 10:21:51 AM PDT
JCRB says:
The Rage Against The Machine cover album Renegades is full of great covers, most of them sound completely different than the originals, but I have to say the most CLEVER is the cover of Devo's "Beautiful World".
The original is upbeat and fun, where as RATM's is completely drained of the happiness, feels melancholy and depressing, made all the more creepy by the happy lyrics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 1:29:45 PM PDT
Mothersmoney says:
VERY NICE!

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 2:56:37 PM PDT
Libros Lover says:
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Little Wing (Hendrix)
Elton John - Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds (Beatles)
Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire (The Doors)
Annie Lennox - Whiter Shade of Pale (Procol Harum)
Echo & the Bunnymen - People Are Strange (The Doors)
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares to 2 you (Prince)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 3:26:19 PM PDT
I love The Sundays. I wish they'd resurface. What a pretty cover song. I love that it's kept safe on your list by Fudge Tunnel and Napalm Death. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 3:31:15 PM PDT
Highway 61 Revisited - PJ Harvey - The 4-Track Demo, right? I believe it's the only album it appears on. What a song! I wish PJ Harvey would do something raw like that again... maybe an acoustic set with just the guitar and her amazing crazed vocals? She'd need to revisit her early catalog; I'm not a fan of her recent work.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  105
Total posts:  138
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions