Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Worst Album You Have Ever Heard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-135 of 135 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 9:31:27 PM PST
I must agree with you on that point......I'm a huge KISS fan, but Gene Simmons is a money monger and has merchandised the Kiss name to death!!!!!!!!!! He would try selling KissPiss if he thought anyone would buy it...LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 5:45:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2011 6:32:00 AM PST
zlh67 says:
"Disagreeing is not hate."

---

No, but Imagining a world where someone ceased to exist is, which is I guess what set me off. Not that I really "went off" at all; my initial response was actually a take on a quote from "Billy Madison", which I find completely hilarious, so in that context wasn't as vicious or hateful as it may have come off to those that didn't spot the reference.

Re, 'Nam, that is a cluster that we won't likely solve or find easy answers for in a few posts on a forum, but your initial post seemed to suggest that our pulling out there had negative ramifications and since Lennon supported that, he was somehow to blame, which sounded a bit far-fetched to say the least... And yes, at the time we pulled out the VC had not by any stretch "won" the war, but... neither had we. It was a war more of hearts and minds than military might which is why it was such a colossal mistake for us to have ever been there in the first place. It was deemed largely unwinnable and mostly unnecessary which is why the movement to get us out began. What changed/improved by our engagement there and was it worth the cost of all the lives on both sides? Most people -- including Lennon -- would say "no" which is why he became part of the movement.

Re, Lennon and his true motives for protesting, I guess only he would know the ultimate truth there. If you believe he did it to "build his legend" then ok, that's your right, but considering what it brought him in the way of attention from our government (tailed by the FBI, attempts to deport), I would think he would have stopped at that point if his goal was merely to add to his fame. I mean, it's not like he was OBSCURE to begin with and had to find some crazy way to get some attention even if it meant bringing the full wrath of the U.S. government down upon him; this wasn't some new artist seeking to get that first wave of attention who needed publicity stunts merely to keep his name in the papers. It was ex-Beatle JOHN LENNON. At that point, every time he broke wind it made the news. So if you think he would risk all that to be just a little bit MORE mega-famous, then ok, but I don't buy it for a second. I would agree that it may have ALSO satisfied some part of his ego that drove Lennon to want to be front and center, but I don't believe for a moment that there was no sincerity in his desire for peace and to end the war.

I can see the dichotomy between the violence in Lennon's own life and his strong desire for peace (which again, is not the same thing as pacifism) and how that could confuse people or lead to charges of hypocricy, but, like Vietnam itself, that's a rather complex subject. The tragedies in Lennon's life left many a void in the man and he often compensated for them in flawed ways (occasional outbursts of violence being one of them), which does indeed make him a flawed man (like the rest of us). It does not in my opinion mean that his desire and quest for world peace was all a "load of crap", but again, that's my opinion and others including yourself will disagree I'm sure, which is fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 6:31:29 AM PST
Well, they did the blood thing when they did a comic. They actually printed a comic book the had some of their blood mixed in with the printers ink. To me, the whole Kiss Army could have come out of a Sears catalogue.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 6:54:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2011 7:09:00 AM PST
Fischman says:
I can see how/why you would be set off--the original comment was very blunt and insensitive. Even as someone with a rather negative view of JL overall, I wouldn't have started a new discussion with such a statement, regardless of my feelings about the individual in question.

I don't thing JL had "no sincerity" but rather that there were other forces at play in addition to whatever genuine feelings he had.

As for the rest, you're right as well, all very complex subjects and not necessarily black and white (life seldom is). To me, the main disconnect is that John, who was so very shades of grey himself, treated these things as completely black and white.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 8:43:59 AM PST
zlh67 says:
No worries, Fischman. There've been plenty of other discussions here regarding Lennon's merits as a Beatle, a solo artist, a man, a human being. I guess the Beatle snobs think he did no wrong, musically or otherwise. The Lennon haters think he never did anything right and are quick to point out every flaw, no matter how small or insignificant (and overlooking the fact that all humans have flaws....).

As you've suggested, the truth on many matters is usually is some shade of grey and I tend to fall somewhere in the middle though have been accused of being a Lennon apologist as well. In my view, Lennon had strong convictions and typically was not usually interested in half-measures or compromise, and I can see that as being off-putting to some, but I think it was also a factor of the times: the 60's were all about the counter-culture, revolution, the hippies vs. the establishment, etc. It was more about choosing sides than finding middle ground and Lennon certainly fell into that.

I still think his positive attributes/actions/accomplishments far outweigh the negatives, but that too is of course just my opinion...

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 8:49:58 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Metal Machine Music
The Song Remains The Same
Live Dead
Any album by Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:46:31 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Hey guys...if it wasn't for Vietnam we wouldn't have all the great music from that era...and Peter Noone would have filled Lennon's role with his crap!!!

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 11:56:42 AM PST
Fischman says:
Way to find a silver lining, VZ!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 11:58:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2011 12:23:38 PM PST
That, to me is a truly amazing theory. I'm not being sarcastic. The Beatles would have been here. The British Invation would have happened. But, if we were not at war, we would be eyeing Russia, but still would have had the space race. To me hippies were just newer beatnicks. If they had no war to protest, what would they have done? Civil Rights for one as the white students were already marching for that. If you don't know, Hendrix was an Army paratrooper. When he first went to England(Veitnam was happening), he was for it. He wanted to stop the Commies. Two of the greatest anti-war songs, Machine Gun and Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner would have never happened. There would have been no Kent State. Probably would have had a Black Panthers of sorts because Civil Rights was still slipping in the mud of racism. But the US not fighting in Veitnam? Very different country. Very different music.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 12:19:17 PM PST
Heavy Music says:
Totally agree - I actually made the mistake of going out and buying this before reading a review on it back in the mid-70s. What a waste of money and vinyl....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  135
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions