Customer Discussions > Rock forum

A recent epic rock song that is longer than 10 minutes?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2012 5:34:58 PM PDT
Barry Smith says:
Most (or all of the time), when you hear a rock song that extends over the ten minute mark, it's from the late 60s or early 70s. Are there any songs from the 90-00s-10s that are epics of length?

Seems that the current music scene is so controlled, that a song longer than four minutes is considered over the top. Consequently, you'll never hear a 20 minute "Justin Bieber" jam song, or a 30 minute "Britney Spears" epic (plus a drum solo!). However, are there any recent songs that can be considered epic? If so, what is the song, the artist, and how long is the song?

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 5:35:43 PM PDT
ChokeCake says:
Pretty much anything by Opeth.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 6:29:47 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
The song "Bright Lights" from the album "In the Future" by Black Mountain is, wait, 16 minutes 41 seconds. Epic? Not IMO But the album on a whole is very good IMO !

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 6:35:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 6:37:55 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
Weird Al Yankovic's "Trapped in the Drive Thru" from the album Straight Outta Lynwood. It's a parody of R. Kelly "Trapped in the Closet". The originals (there's like 26 of them!) by R. Kelly are funnier than the parody! It's 10 min 50 seconds long. Not sure parody music counts, but thought I'd throw it out there. I didn't think of checking the time on the actual R. Kelly songs! Maybe I'll take a look. And it's not exactly rock. But then not sure Bieber or Britney is rock either. More like Pop.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:59:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2012 6:00:30 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
Not sure what constitutes the "epic" aspect of your question. That term may mean something very different to different people.
I'm pretty sure that 10+ min of a Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, et al, song would be considered torture by the Geneva Convention. That type of music is written to be done and gone in 3.5 min.
I think the only type of rock music that consistently entered into the 10+ min "epic" arena was the Progressive Rock (with exception to Layla, In A Godda Da Vida, and a few others). And some of those Prog artists are still doing it today. Yes has a song on their new album that runs 14 min I think. Steve Hackett (of early Genesis fame) has a new album that has a couple numbers on it that run over 11 min. Porcupine Tree and a few other "newer" Prog bands are still doing these longer tunes too.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:05:09 AM PDT
Over their first 4 albums, it's hard to find a Mars Volta song under 5 minutes. I'd say a third of their songs clock in at over 8 minutes. For sheer length, there's Cassandra Gemini. Even though it's broken into several tracks, the entire "piece" clocks in at over a half an hour with no discernable break in the music, similar to Genesis' "Supper's Ready." The Mars Volta often channels the sound of 70's rock. If you enjoy Genesis, Yes, even lengthy Led Zeppelin, you ought to give The Mars Volta a listen. Some of my favorite, lengthy Mars Volta songs: Cicatriz ESP (13 min), Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt (9 min), Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus (13 min, although the song essentially ends at the 10 min mark), Tetragrammaton (16 min), and Viscera Eyes (9 min).

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:12:22 AM PDT
Not rock, per se, but metal...
Theocracy's "Mirror of Souls" is a little over 22 minutes - from 2003.
Narnia's "The Great Fall of Man" is almost 15 minutes, form 2004.
Veni Domine's "Tongues" is a little over 16 minutes, from 2007.
Theocracy's "I Am" is 11 minutes, from 2012.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:24:14 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Thorazine Shuffle (LIVE) Gov't Mule...12 to 15 minutes a throw!

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:25:53 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Porcupine Tree,Spock's Beard,Transatlantic,Dream Theatre recently have plenty of tracks well over 10 minutes in length
In the 90's Guns N Roses put out November Rain which was around 9 minutes and that album also had Coma on it which clocked in at over 10 minutes

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:50:41 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
Ahhh - forgot about Phish! Not so much their studio productions, but their live stuff can go on into some pretty significant jams.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 10:36:27 AM PDT
Loch Ness-Judas Priest from Angel Of Retribution album in 2005( I think).

Iron Maiden has had several long songs since reuniting in 2000.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 10:42:10 AM PDT
One of my favorite Porcupine Tree songs is "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" which clocks in at over 12 minutes. It seems to pass much more quickly than any of Britney's 3 minute gems, though.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 9:06:49 PM PDT
Barry - the two genres that tended to go into "epic" territory are progressive rock (which strove to break free of standard pop music limits and included more "composed" and instrumental sections, leading to longer songs) and jammy/improv rock, both of which were popular in the 70s. The modern music scene tends to be more vocal/pop song oriented, so there's not much call for longer songs. However, outside the mainstream, there's still plenty of prog, metal, and jam music that has extended songs.

Iron Maiden has been a prog-influenced metal band from the 80s, with epic songs like "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (13 mins from 1985) to "Where the Wild Wind Blows" (11 minutes, from 2010) popping up throughout their career. There's a whole genre of progressive metal that likes to drop a 10 to 20-minute song from time to time (Dream Theater's one of the better-known acts, with songs over 10 minutes on pretty much all their albums - "A Change of Seasons" is one of their 20-minute songs).

The 80s gave us the neo-prog scene (a British movement of bands that were influenced by 70s Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc.) - bands like Marilliion, IQ, Pallas, etc. are still active today and have plenty of epic songs. Check out Marillion's "Invisible Man" for a 13-minute song from the 00s that doesn't sound too retro (or, if you WANT retro, look into some of IQs stuff from their Dark Matter album).

Many 90s and 00s metal bands do epic songs in a more modern (but not mainstream) metal style: Rhapsody of Fire ("Heroes of the Waterfall's Kingdom" 19 min), Nightwish ("The Poet & The Pendulum" 14 min.), Iced Earth ("Dante's Inferno" 13 min, Moonsorrow ("Jäästä syntynyt/Varjojen virta"30 min.), Tyr ("Land" 16 min.), etc.

The key is, as you put it, "the music scene" - outside the mainstream "scene", there's a rich world of music that matches most any earlier era!

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 9:15:10 PM PDT
Most of the acts doing longer tracks today have been mentioned, but I have to give my usual shout out to Sufjan Stevens, who IMO does the best epic-length compositions of anybody out there right now (and yes, that includes Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree). "Djohariah" and "Impossible Soul" are extraordinary journeys through sound and emotion that are not to be missed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:35:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 6:41:51 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Too Late for the Sun - Black Country Communion
Open - Jon Anderson
Black is the Night - Black Bayou Construkt
Counting Sheep - Big Elf
I Want to Take You With Me - Robin Trower (great guitar work on this song - this is a great song)

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 1:48:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2012 2:38:34 PM PDT
ulijon says:
The new Arch/Matheos release "Sympathetic Resonance" has 3 of the 6 songs over 10 minutes long. Great Prog/metal

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 5:37:24 PM PDT
Ulijon -good call! And the previous John Arch album from the early 2000s "A Twist of Fate" was made up of a 10-minute and a 15-minute song and is one of my favorite CDs of the past decade (it also features Matheos on guitar).

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 9:24:39 PM PDT
Highlands (sixteen and a half minutes from Dylan's 1997 Time Out Of Mind album). a bit of a haunting journey, no?

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 7:57:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 8:03:43 PM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
Symphony X have plenty of extended tracks (one of them, "The Odyssey" goes for 24 minutes).

The Flower Kings are also noteworthy for having a plethora of epic tracks, including "The Truth Will Set You Free" (31 minutes), "Drivers Seat" (18 minutes), "Monsters and Men" (21 minutes), "Stardust We Are" (25 minutes) and "Garden of Dreams" (59 minutes).

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 8:32:35 PM PDT
Harlin Murie says:
Wings for Marie Part II By tool is an amazing song, I highly recommend it!

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 8:47:12 PM PDT
Brian says:
The single version of Oasis' "All Around the World" clocks in at 9:38

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 5:51:10 AM PDT
As David G, Forman mentioned, "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" by Porcupine Tree off their great Deadwing album does clock in at 12 minutes...and that album is from 2005. It's the album that got me into the band and they are now one of my favorites of all time.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 9:38:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 9:40:37 AM PDT
SLAYER says:
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden 13:34

"the rest is all just filler"

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 12:48:36 AM PDT
D. Duffey says:
i just received Sleep's "Dopesmoker" and actually listened to the entire 1 hour, 3 minutes, and 34 seconds title song (unfortunately i had no dope to smoke - might have made it sound better)

Posted on May 14, 2012 12:34:33 AM PDT
@D.Duffey: well...was it any good? I'll trust your judgement. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions