Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Great Music Passed Me By

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2012 11:50:08 AM PDT
Emery Would says:
So, I'm always looking for hard rock that's well suited for my gym workout. It's a pretty wide variety, with a lot of Metallica, Foo Fighters, Bad Brains, AC/DC, Green Day, Maiden, Motorhead and etc.
Lately, I discovered System of a Down, and I'm loving it, particularly the Toxicity album. I wasn't entirely unfamiliar with SOAD, but now feel like I've been missing out for a decade (Toxicity came out in 2001). Great stuff. Weird, but really super for the elliptical machine.

Any artists where you were late to the party?

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 12:10:15 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
Phish...started going to shows in 95 and missed out on the previous 10 years!

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 12:29:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 12:44:44 PM PDT
Snoo says:
Tool..... I had no idea of the talent in that band. I thought they were just another noisy metal band. How wrong I was !

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:08:34 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Oh God, where do I start??? In my younger days, I liked hard rock and pretty much ONLY hard rock, so if it wasn't KISS, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Aerosmith, Nugent, Zep, Van Halen, Rush, Queen, etc., I didn't want to know about it.

But... I "discovered" Springsteen in 1987 and Prince in 1989 well after their commercial peaks. And I finally latched onto this Bob Dylan fella in 1999, and Neil Young shortly after that. Each of these are all time favorites of mine now and I have pretty much the entire catalog for most of them (not so much on Neil, but i'm working on it).

So yeah, in 1999 at the age of 32 I finally figured that this Dylan guy might be worth checking out.

Cutting edge, I am, CUTTING EDGE!

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 4:53:28 PM PDT
mac says:
There are so many I can't even start! I'm thankful for how much you guys have expanded my horizons!

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:24:40 PM PDT
Michael Ary says:
@ mac
Seriously? That surprises me mac... I would have thought you were at the forefront with all your musical knowledge that I've seen displayed here on the boards. I mean that. But, I do know what you mean by expanding horizons. This is a great place to get a variety of musical tastes and perspectives. I for one, discovered Phish and My Morning Jacket here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 6:27:10 PM PDT
mac says:
Cheers for that, Michael. There are many things that I have missed that I am too embarrassed to mention. I also have found myself revisiting or discovering artists that I had written off. I agree with you - this is a great place for learning about music (perspectives and taste) - and everyone is so nice!

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 7:45:56 PM PDT
B-Jak says:
There's so much stuff out there, it's pretty hard to stay current, let alone get caught up. I feel I came late to most anything not current since the 80's, and then there's still stuff I missed. I missed Woodstock and that era (OK, I was 9), I missed "Dark Side of the Moon" by 5 years. I was so into getting caught up on 60's- early 70's stuff that I missed punk. Yeah, I started getting current in the 80's, but I was still finding stuff like industrial , Kiwi and Australian bands in the 90's. I only recently discovered how good the Foo Fighters are. Anyway, at this point I don't care. I just know that there will always be new things to discover and a whole trove that i'll never know.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:21:10 AM PDT
It took a few decades to discover the 13th Floor Elevators. But, at last in the 1990's I got hooked on the music of this great band and listen to their music quite often these days.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 2:00:33 PM PDT
Fischman says:
I missed out on everything! Grew up in Hicksville where the locals all listened to Hank Sr (older generation) or Alabama (my generation). Being in a remote area, we only got one radio station, and it was talk. Of course there was no internet, youtube or Amazon samples back then either. Stir in a little poverty and you've got a recipe for total music isolation!

My first year in college (1981) was a huge musical revelation as I devoured all the great rock from the late 60s through the 70s.

After that, I was able to stay current for a while. Then came kids, frequent moves that repeatedly damaged my stereo equipment (still no internet), so the 90s sort of became a musical dark hole. for me. Now my kids are teens, so I stay pretty current with the new stuff.

But at least the resources exist for me to explore what I've missed and threads like these often give me pointers as to where to focus my efforts.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 2:05:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 2:11:30 PM PDT
doodah man says:
Velvet Underground.
In the late 60s (I was 13) my brother-in-law was in the service and got stationed overseas. While he was there, he left me his vast record collection. At the time, I was listening to pop AM radio. I went through his stuff and found an album with a peel-able banana on the cover. I listened to it, thought it was just so much out of tune noise. But something about it stuck with me.

Many years later(1995) I picked up "Best of" Velvet Underground, and from there searched out everything I could find of them. Everybody knows "Sweet Jane" and "Rock and Roll", but I got soo into the lesser known obscure stuff; now it's a staple and favorite 'most listened to' of my music.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 9:17:28 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Black Country Communion would be a good band to check out. They are somewhat of a hard rock super group.

bass and vocals - Glen Hughes
guitar and vocals - Joe Bonamassa
drums - Jason Bonham
keyboards - Derek Sherinian

BCC just released their third (and maybe their final album as tensions are rising in the band). All three are great hard rock albums. I am listening to their latest right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 5:00:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2012 5:01:35 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 5:05:18 PM PDT
Dw 1000 says:
If you want an introduction to hard rock and metal...see below.

Metal - A Headbanger's Journey

Metal Evolution (3 Discs)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 5:48:48 AM PDT
fartissimo says:
I stayed current on music up until around 1990 when work and kids took over my life. And everyone knows that music after 1990 isn't worth listening to anyway, right? Wrong! In the last 5 years or so, with the benefit of the internet and websites like this one, I've gone back and rediscovered tons of obscure, indie and alternative music that was made after 1990 (and is still being made) and last time I checked my music library, I now have more music made after 1990 than before. While the music made prior to 1990 will always be near and dear to me, it's been a shocking revelation to learn how much good music has been made in the last 22 years.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 7:13:30 AM PDT
Working Man says:
fartissimo, I had a similar gap, from the mid 80's to mid 90's with work and kids keeping me from getting into music as much as I would have liked. I was exposed to mostly the obvious stuff played on the radio and I had somewhat given up on some of my favorites along the way. Now, my kids are almost grown and over the past 10 -15 years I have been catching up some great music from my favorites and newer bands. I don't think I have more music in my library made after 1990, but I do listen to the music made since then more than the music made before. Although, like you music from late 60's and 70's will always be my favorite, though it now has to make room for a lot of great music made more recently.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 7:15:14 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 28, 2012 7:15:21 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:10:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 11:14:12 AM PDT
Kevin Beirne says:
I was present for the party that was alternative rock of the mid nineties. NIN, Sublime, Green Day, Weezer, 311, Korn, Limp Bizkit.

Stemming from interest in those bands, I was bit by the metal snake in 98, and the venomous effects of that bite have been coursing through my veins since.

So I was late to the party on about 95% of all things metal. I got into Pantera late, Slayer way late. I liked the Black album from Metallica but even then it was already 7-8 years old - not to mention it was a stark change from their first four classic albums, so I was late to the Metallica party.

Sepultura shifted their demonic thrash sound a bit and took on a more spiritual, tribal based sound and that sound caught my attention bigtime - still late to the party on their older, classic albums. I loved Demanufacture by Fear Factory in those years (98-99), but was late on their ultra heavy debut.

From there I got into the big names in death metal, learned of 80's thrash metal - then proceeded backwards to 70's metal and classic rock. Then I was waaaay late to the Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Rush party. Very late indeed.

My interest in bluegrass started after seeing local bluegrass bands jam at my college bar hangouts and was definitely late to that party, but glad as hell that I made it.

The instrumental progressive metal genre I feel I was very much around and in the scene when that stuff started popping up. However there are always exceptions. If I heard Spastic Ink's Ink Compatible right when it came out I believe it would have been over my head. Let alone something like Spiral Architect's A Skeptic's Universe. Whoa.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:44:58 PM PST
I don't think that anyone can work with Glenn Hughes for long periods of time. He wants to have complete control of the production. He and Joe aren't getting along. I hope they chill awhile and then reconvene. I am a fan...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:54:59 PM PST
zlh67's story is really similar to mine. Sabbath, Zepelin, Priest, Maiden. It had to be hard or I would not even give it a chance. 1981, Philadelphia Spectrum, Bruce live. I wasn't that late with him as it was the River tour. I didn't own a Rolling Stones cd until 5 years ago. I discovered The Kinks on these threads. I am a huge fan of Prog and I recently started listening to Spocks Beard, The Flower Kings, Steve Hackett, and anything Neil Morse touches. There is some really good new prog to discover. I still like metal, Mastadon, Paradise Lost, The Storm. Far to many to name, I am thankful for these threads as they have led me to some really tasty music...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions