Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Have you judged a book by its cover?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1184 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2012 1:02:45 PM PST
Gator Girl says:
Traveller's Refuge (Mystic Valley, Book Two)

I was looking through a list of free books that a wonderful person takes the time to list on the discussion "Free today" I then go through them and check out the reviews to see if I want to download them or not. I busted out laughing when I saw this ridiculous cover and couldn't go any further. If the cover is this horrible, what will the story be like? Wondered if anyone else wanted to show off any covers that they thought were "bad" and did they "judge" that book by its cover?

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:19:56 PM PST
Gator Girl says:
The Alabaster-Skinned Mule (A Noah Milano Novelette)

Here's another "different" cover.....when you read a title of a book, I sort of expect the picture/illustration to coincide with the title in some way. I'm not getting this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 1:25:25 PM PST
A "mule" is someone -- often a woman -- who runs drugs for the organized drug dealers, like the cartels. They do not fit the profile of drug dealer/runner, and that helps them to pass through security checkpoints without being arrested.

However, that is NOT what I thought of when I saw that title.

The first one made me burst out laughing.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:37:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 1:39:37 PM PST
I saw it and couldn't stop laughing this morning. Some of them make me wonder if it is the author and their significant other at ComicCon or just that they like role playing? A few look like they took a quick photo of themselves and then did a cut and paste of the title.
The other ones I don't quite get are the sketches that haven't been refined yet but are used:

Once Upon A Time In Australia 2 - Before the Dreamtime
Major Mischief - her head looks smaller than her chesticles

I don't want to insult anyone but if you put all that time into writing and formatting a book, why would you just slap up something unfinished?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 1:38:28 PM PST
Gator Girl says:
@the Queen
thank you for the info...makes more sense now, especially with the bullet holes in the background.
oh that first one is a hoot....the hero's hair is so funny. How could you get into a "romantic" mood with that dude?
looks like someone got crazy with their photo shop app.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 1:40:34 PM PST
L. Burns says:
Gator Girl - That is pretty bad - smurf erotica perhaps???? lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 1:44:19 PM PST
Gator Girl says:
@Miss Kitty
exactly!
and your examples were great! I saw that Major Mischief one and was wondering what was up with that man's sunglasses. I get that these people are doing this e-book thing and probably don't have a lot of money, but I don't think I'm alone in the fact that I do consider the cover of the book. (even an e-book) If it looks like something their 5 year old drew and then scanned for their cover....I'm probably going to keep on clicking...and not the download button.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:45:04 PM PST
Then there are ones that are not bad stories but I initially passed on because of the cover:
Marriage by Mistake
Another poster commented on the author changing the cover to sell more books because her friends thought it looked cheesy until she read it and said she liked it and then a bunch of people downloaded it.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:50:35 PM PST
Gator Girl says:
I have passed over that book (Marriage by Mistake) several times on my "free list" BECAUSE of that cheesy cover....It still would have to be an amazing read for me to download it. But a lot of these e-books are just "ok".

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 2:01:23 PM PST
Robyn says:
Before I got my Kindle I never thought I judged books by their cover. Now having seen some of the offerings, I must admit there are some books whose covers are so hideous I just can't take them seriously. I was thinking this morning that maybe it would be better for some if they just had plain covers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 2:15:24 PM PST
I used to think the exact same thing. Now I find myself skimming so fast through the freebies when I choose cover instead of the summary because it makes me doubt the content.
Stompin' on Stetsons (The Bootscootin' Books Book 2)
I don't know if the marks cascading down his shirt are because he thinks he is so hot he is scorching his top through sheer mind control or wait... he has more than one BBQ tool in his hand... he must be manly.
Although some of the computer generated ones are not much better and the scale is way off between their chest, head and arms.
I'm talkin' 'bout you Lisa Marie Rice: Midnight Man (Midnight)
It is just as Gator Girl said. I never would have bought this but it was recommended quite a lot in the romance forum and if I hadn't see a lot of people recommend it, the cover would be an automatic no for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 2:22:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 2:23:12 PM PST
Elloras Cave books tend to have horrifying covers. However, what is between the covers is often pretty good, if you like the kind of book that Ellora's Cave publishes.

When it comes to self-published books, I have found that there is often a direct correlation between the f'ugliness of the cover and the f'ugliness of the writing contained therein. I think this can be explained by the fact that people who skimp on the cover probably also skimp on the editing and other quality control stuff that needs to occur before hitting the "publish on KDP" button. If there is such a thing as a "publish on KDP" button.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 2:24:36 PM PST
Have to agree on this as well....But hey we all get a laugh out of them.....I sometimes find myself just looking at the really bad covers and titles to get my giggle for the day. Ahhh simple pleasures!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 2:49:12 PM PST
meloco says:
I've read Marriage by Mistake. The story is actually a good one even if the cover is off.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 3:41:50 PM PST
The ones on the freebees list I'm most likely to pass on are the ones that looked like someone scanned in a calendar pic and applied text to it using the free paint program on a PC. I figure if they couldn't even figure out how to find something that fit the story and crop it to the general shape of a book cover, they probably aren't too with it on the usage of their word processor either.

Heh, I got Traveler's Refuge. There's a published book with a similar blue alien chick (that I'm waiting for). ::shrug:: I like aliens and futuristics.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:38:18 PM PST
Gator Girl says:
that's my point about covers and passing a judgment....I like futuristic too! (hey, my mom was a Star Trek fan...so women with blue/green skin do not bother me at all. I grew up on that stuff. lol) But that poor cover doesn't help the author's book....makes me think that if they are that careless with the details of the cover that their story is going to lack too. re:Traveler's Refuge....I need to go back and read the summary of the book. It may be good....but I'm going to have to recreate a visual in my mind of the H & h....because that pic on the cover will make me giggle as I read...then my concentration will be off....just not good.

thanx for joining in....we can also include covers that are beautiful but the inside did not match up to the outside. It's funny to notice how a lot of your YA paranormal romances have the h on the cover in a long billowing dress now. Ok...you copycats. I don't know who was the first, but come up with something original (but then, again....their stories aren't really anything new either.)

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 9:34:01 AM PST
Gator Girl says:
The Seduction of Honey
ok.....well, I guess honey and gold glitter are similar in color....but, the picture and title don't quite match up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 9:54:01 AM PST
Hah! I saw that this morning and thought of your thread!
The other one I noticed was The Dark Side of Greed. I would never peg it under the romance genre if I saw it but more Hitchcock or the Twilight Zone. The pic makes me laugh as looks like a cross between, "Ain't nobody touch my babies" and "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?".

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 10:01:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 10:02:24 AM PST
This one looks like the flashback in a Law and Order episode while they were still alive and before the you know what hit the fan,
Fearful of the Consequences and this one left me speechless quite frankly Love Lost and Found Again .

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 1:16:01 PM PST
Gator Girl says:
@Miss Kitty
yeah....all three of those aren't even book covers. They're just 'images' pulled up.....what do they have to do with the book? Like how much effort am I going to put into this?....the least amt possible, obviously. I'm not going to download that crap, even if it is free.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 1:37:10 PM PST
ICA says:
I judge a book by its cover all the time. I am trying to be more selective with the free downloads, so if I click on the link and the cover doesn't appeal to me I skip the book. It's probably the photographer in me, but if the cover looks crappy then I just assume the writing will be too.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 1:50:11 PM PST
tealadytoo says:
I"ve read favorable comments about "Marriage By Mistake". The plot sounds reasonably interesting. And it's free!

But everytime I pull it up, I just can't get past that cover and one-click it. For freebies, I do admit to using the cover art as a proxy for how cheesy the book might be. Imperfect, I know.

In general, I'm more likely to buy a mediocre book because the cover art sucked me in rather than reject a good book with a terrible cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 1:57:17 PM PST
D. Stom says:
ROFLOL!!

This cover (the Mule) is making me wonder what those 'spots' all over are -- are they a bunch of las cucarrachas? :D (seriously, WTF are those things????)

And the first was so awful I couldn't even bring myself to read the blurb!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 2:02:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 2:03:15 PM PST
I've had my finger on the button for that book a couple of times but I just can't click it even for FREE. So yes I do judge books by covers especially for all these freebies we're being inundated with. I don't have the time nor inclination to read all the summaries let alone samples so unless I recognize the author the cover and title are often the deciders.

Now if it's an author I already know then the cover doesn't make a difference through a nicer one is always better and the professionalism of having a well done cover is appreciated.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 2:07:13 PM PST
D. Stom says:
Here's an example of a not-too-bad cover in dire need of a title re-do:

Invasion of the Nylonians
Blurb:
"~A campy, fifties-inspired sci-fi story~
Successful businessman John Marks arrives in small town Nebraska to claim his inheritance after missing his uncle's funeral, only to be surprised his newfound gains were to be shared with his dead relative's nursemaid. Setting out to close the deal on his new property, John finds himself in the middle of a dangerous plot-a deadly Earth invasion.
The sexy pantyhose-encased aliens will not stop until they rule.
It is up to John to save his kind and help his friends. In the midst of his struggles, he finds himself falling in love at the worst time, but will he be able to save his woman or fail into the Nylonian's scheme?

(>.<)

I thought nylons were prone to running? At least, most of mine don't stop running! (though I am horridly out of practice at wearing them, which doesn't help. thank heavens for tights.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  102
Total posts:  1184
Initial post:  Feb 6, 2012
Latest post:  10 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions