Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Lonely hero/hero who's never known love falls madly in love with heroine (contemporary)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2012 10:41:38 PM PST
Camille says:
I LOVE stories like this-- a lonely man, or a man who's never known love or kindness finds love and happiness with the heroine. Any good contemporary books like this that are worth reading?

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 10:50:36 PM PST
If you like paranormal romance, I recommend the Darkyn books by Lynn Viehl.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 11:13:26 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 23, 2012 11:15:04 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 7:36:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 7:25:58 AM PST
Star-Crossed (Battered Hearts)
if i remembered the title correctly, the lonely kind of anti-social mma fighter finds love. i thought it was pretty good. she is a new waitress in town, serves hiDefying the Oddsm a lonely thanksgiving dinner n buys him a slice of pie to get him to smile.

edited to add link to the book i actually meant, but not quite sure how it managed to insert in the text like that. i must be more clever than i knew...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:53:56 PM PST
Russo says:
Star-Crossed is the 2nd book in the series. I've read the 1st on the seriesDefying the Odds (Battered Hearts) and your right it I think it fits here too. I haven't read the 2nd though.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 2:34:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 2:38:15 AM PST
Aussie Girl says:
Shelter Mountain
Big, scary looking marine whose nicknamed "Preacher" because he is so serious and never had a relationship finds love with a scared woman escaping from an abusive husband.
Great book. Actually a lot of the Virgin River series have men who haven't found "the one" yet.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:20:24 AM PST
Nicky says:
Read flight of fancy Cora's daughters this is bk two in a series. The hero is a bounty hunter, love is the last thing on his mind until he falls for the woman he is paid to bring in.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:44:00 AM PST
Jean says:
Back to You
A "bad boy" from a not so great home hooks up with a "good girl" and finds love and acceptance. It starts when they are in high school, where they become best friends, and flashes back and forth from then to the present when they meet again. Great book.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 2:53:29 PM PST
I just finished a Sarah Mayberry book where the H has been so damaged by his marriage that he cannot give love. The h is 38 and realizes that she wants a baby and has no one in her life so she researches sperm banks but winds up agreeing to become pregnant by a co-worker. They have to work thru a lot of angst to get to the HEA but I really enjoyed this book. The Best Laid Plans. (I wish they would not use real people on the covers of these books. I usually use Magic Marker to black out their faces since I like to use my imagination about what they look like but other than that give this one 5 stars.) The H loves the h but can't trust the way he feels so he nearly loses what he most wants. Really good book and I don't usually like these Super Romances but I think Mayberry is a cut above most of the other writers.
Aussi Girl I loved Temptation Ridge by R. Carr. It was about a 38 year old soldier who comes to Virgin River to live and falls in love with a 25 year old. He was also scarred by a first marriage and also feels she is too young for him and needs to spread her wings. I fell in love with him in this book and so did the h. I love Robyn Carr

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:19:04 PM PST
ChelleB says:
My Favorite book with this theme is Breaking the Silence. The hero is very shy/unsure around women and doesn't make friends easily because of abuse in his past.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:25:22 PM PST
Aussie Girl says:
Katharine, I am working through the Virgin River series and i am actually up to Temptation Ridge NEXT. Can't wait to read it. I love this series too.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:15:41 PM PST
KAT says:
Does the Virgin River series need to be read in order ??

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:25:13 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
Concerning the Virgin River series, I would read the first four books in order because so many characters pop up throughout subsequent books. I've read four additional VR's (but not in order) based on which plots interested me the most.
Here's a link for the first four at a great price:
Virgin River books 1-4 (A Virgin River Novel).

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 5:45:59 AM PST
Jill says:
Beast by Pepper Pace
He has a cleft lip so he has never found love because of his looks. He is a soldier who works in her building. Such a sweet romance. It fits your thread. He is very lonely. They fall in love and has a great HEA.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:07:50 AM PST
sinnamon says:
Bodacious by Sharon Ervin
H is lonely mountain man who finds h after she escapes her kidnappers.
He's huge, shaggy, mute and scary.
Instead of returning h to her family he keeps her prisoner in his cabin.

Wonderful love story with great HEA.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:10:25 AM PST
Blitzkrieg says:
Jill, I'm really interested in the Beast recommendation. But I read 'Juicy' by Pepper Pace and the grammatical mistakes and immature writing put me off. The reviews on Amazon were almost all fawningly good, which made me suspicious and same goes for Beast. Can you tell me why you liked the book?

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:17:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 7:18:15 AM PST
Blitzkrieg says:
Oh, and I recommend Fallen from Grace by Laura Leone. The H, Ryan is a prostitute. He's been abused and before he meets Sarah, has no real friends and is very lonely.

Also, how about Lisa Marie Rice's Woman On the Run? This is one of the few Lisa Marie Rice's books that has enough love and romance for me (apart from the sex). Cooper, the H is very, very quiet and his first wife was a real ice-princess who messed him up and there's some sort of curse which makes women stay away from him and so when this lonely guy meets Julia, our bubbly heroine, whoa. He wants to keep her forever :P

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:33:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 11:37:01 AM PST
Camille says:
These are awesome suggestions, guys :). I thought I had read all of the books that fit this criteria. I like when the H's are kind of reclusive. Have any of you read any where the H kidnaps the heroine? I did read bodacious-- that was a great one! It's really hard to find books of this
kind ( H kidnaps h ) that aren't hardcore bdsm, but are about the love and emotion behind it. Maybe I'll start a new thread on this? I agree with you, blitzkrieg...Don't get me wrong, I love the sex scenes, but I really enjoy the love and romance part of the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 12:17:59 PM PST
TravelingGal says:
Vanished by Jaid Black has a somewhat similar theme. It's quite short but there is a definite connection between the H and h. Lots of smexy stuff but only bondage rather than full BDSM.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 3:09:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 3:10:32 PM PST
Aussie Girl says:
I'm not Jill, but I have read Beast. I rated it 3 - 3.5 by Goodreads standards. It does have all the independent publishing errors you talked about and wasn't terribly well written but I liked the story which was quite sweet and endearing at times in spite of the smexy descriptive scenes.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 3:09:09 PM PST
Annie says:
His Wife for One Night (Harlequin Super Romance)

Dont go by the name or cover of title (as is always the case with molly o'keefe books).

Hero was abused by mother and the father never did anything about it. He doesnt know what its like to be loved. He marries his childhood friend as a favor to her (atleast thats what he thinks) and drowns himself in his work life while the wife is out of the picture. She, ofcourse, is in love with him. He likes her and respects her, he doesnt cheat on her or anything. Since its a marriage in name only and shes tierd of hoping that he'll want something more from this relationship, she decides to ask for a divorce. Which is a shock to him, but he eventually agrees. The story moves forward from this point on. Such a good book, i highly recommend it. A bit angsty, if ur into it, i know i am. But its not EXTREMELY emotional either...but u really feel for all the characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 3:29:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 3:30:17 PM PST
Jill says:
It was one of the better ones ive read as far as a lonely, wounded hero. He was really sweet and I just fell in love with him. He is definitely a perfect guy. Although not in looks. Yes, I do agree that the writting is not perfect, but the storyline is great so I didn't mind too much.

If you would like to read it, but are unsure about spending five bucks, I can loan it to you. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 4:00:25 PM PST
J. Manfull says:
>>Back to You
A "bad boy" from a not so great home hooks up with a "good girl" and finds love and acceptance. It starts when they are in high school, where they become best friends, and flashes back and forth from then to the present when they meet again. Great book. <<

I just read this one. Don't think I've cried that much in a while. :) I like the flashbacks because they are well-labeled, and it basically alternates. You EXPECT the flashback after a current scene, so, unlike some books I've read, there is never any confusion. There are a couple of "out of order" flashbacks, but those are hero-only--everything else pretty much goes in order.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:12:12 PM PST
LTR says:
I read Beast based on recs on the Romance Forum and I really liked it. I just really enjoyed the interaction between the two and how their relationship developed. I figured when the OP (of whatever post it was rec'd in) said if you liked Breaking the Silence, you'll like Beast, that I should try it and I'm really glad I did. I find a lot of great books from reading these posts!

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:42:42 PM PST
Mo says:
J. Manfull, just read Back to You and would agree it is a very good book.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions