Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Scary hero

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 11:50:55 PM PDT
MegMeg says:
I want a book with a scary H who is like a big teddy bear with the heroine. He can either be scary to everyone but her or just scary looking/acting in general. Either way, he's got a giant soft spot for her and only wants to be with her and treat her right. :) Thanks.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:24:58 PM PDT
oohh sounds good. Hope there are a few rec's coming soon

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:57:07 PM PDT
Colleen says:
A lot of LMR's Hs are described as scary and many of her hs are afraid/ intimidated by them. Many are physically strong, one is described as terrifying to look at (Ellora's Cave Presents Midnight Angel (Midnight Series, Book 3)).

In Kresley Cole's first IAD (A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, Book 1)), the h is terrified of the H, who is 50/50 on protecting/ harming her. A few others in the series have that theme (most notably Lothaire (Immortals After Dark) (also, he's reluctantly attracted to her for 50% of the book).

Linda Howard's Mackenzie's Mountain and Thea Harrison's Dragon Bound (A Novel of the Elder Races) both have this theme.

Laurann Dohner's New Species series (starts with Fury (New Species, Book One)) has this theme (up to the newest book, as I've yet to read it). Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling books often have terrifying Hs.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:05:23 PM PDT
The Price of Desire by Jo Goodman has a scary H who comes to love the h, who was left with him as a debt marker.

Irresistible (Banning Sisters Trilogy) and Shameless (Banning Sisters Trilogy) by Karen Robards have very scary Hs, who are not "nice" to the hs at the first, but become very protective later.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:25:20 PM PDT
MegMeg says:
Mary, how much later? It about kills me when they are mean through half/ more than half of the book. It also depends on how cruel they are. I prefer my Hs to be sweet on the inside but gruff/ scary on the outside.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:51:15 PM PDT
In Irresistible, the H believes (wrongly) that the h is a French spy with a list of British agents he has to get from her, so it doesn't last long before she convinces him he got the wrong gal. She does have a few embarrassing moments with them, however, when they are searching her for the list.

In Shameless, the H is a government assassin and since the war with France is winding up, his handlers decide he's become too dangerous and to have him killed. He breaks into the house that the h and her sister and sister's husband live in on the night they are giving a ball. He intends to kill the sister's husband (who works with the spies and assassins) to try to wipe his trail out by taking out everyone who knows about him so he can go live a quiet life. He considers killing the h and her ex-fiance when he stumbles across them (one of the reasons they considered him dangerously out of control) but decides to wait and kidnap the h to force her brother-in-law to rescind the death order. He goes to do it the next day, but the ex-fiance beats him to it in a revenge scheme and he ends up having to rescue her, so he really doesn't appear in a bad light to her.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:32:24 PM PDT
A Customer says:
My Dangerous Duke by Gaelen Foley

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:48:27 PM PDT
Or even The Dangerous Duke (Berkley Sensation) by Christine Wells. The H initially kidnaps the h to force her kinsman, a cleric, to reveal where the men suspected of burning down a nobleman's house (causing a large loss of life) during the Luddite disturbances are hiding. He quickly becomes her protector when someone tries to kill her.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:04:54 PM PDT
Jane Austen says:
Try Kresley Cole's "Demon from the Dark"and the first book in the if you series - I believe it is if you dare or if you deceive - the one with the assasin who has been in love with Jane for many years. You'll love both.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:08:30 PM PDT
Jane Austen says:
Try Kresley Cole's "Demon from the Dark"and the first book in the if you series - I believe it is if you dare or if you deceive - the one with the assasin who has been in love with Jane for many years. You'll love both.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:01:43 PM PST
MegMeg says:
Bump

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:52:21 PM PST
Talltree says:
Did you check the Beauty and the Beast thread, some of the books there would apply here.
Heart of Danger: A Ghost Ops Novel
Beautiful Beast (Enchanted Fairytales)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 4:41:32 PM PST
Shenanigans says:
Err... The hero was scary? He just had a scar...i dont think the book said he was scary.

Btw, this book is fabulous, although i was upset the father didnt get his due. The romance is subtle but oh so deep! You feel the connection between them and this is b4 they hit the sheets. LOVED it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:00:02 PM PST
Reader79 says:
Ravished by Amanda Quick is my favorite Quick novel. This is a beauty and the beast type tale (with a great nerdy beauty).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:03:05 PM PST
T214T1987 says:
Simon from Crimson Kiss by Trisha Baker is scary, but is not a teddy bear he is lethal and can be evil. He is a vampire, he does only want to be w/ h, but he is from like the 14th century w/ differing un-PC views. He does beat her if she tries to leave him.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:29:47 PM PST
luvs2read says:
anyone know any that arent historical or paranormal romances! i would love to read this theme in a contemporary romance?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:40:53 PM PST
Dead Running and Dying to Run by Cami Checketts have an ambiguous and somewhat scary H (when you can figure which is H and which is villain). I picked up Dying To Run on the free thread and doubled back to get the first book, Dead Running. The first book is actually the best in my opinion, but the second one finally defines the H of the series. This is a new indie writer and I thought she did a good job for first book.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:09:43 AM PST
@ T214T1987 :
Could you give some spoilers for 'Crimson Kiss' please? Is the Hero very inlove with the heroine? You said he 'beat' her, was it very bad? (Too bad to forgive?) Does he grovel and how easily does she forgive him? Does it have a HEA?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:45:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 10:48:02 AM PST
D.T. says:
Monique,

I am never good giving spoilers because, I never want to know whats coming. But I will tell you that in the course of the three books you go from wanting her to kill Simon, to pulling for them to stay together.
So - to answer your question, yes, it is very bad, but surprisingly you do forgive him. Grovel - Simon is not much for groveling, but he does change. Forgiveness - well she doesn't forgive him easily, but she does eventually, and there is a HEA.

By the way, I loved the books [not sure what that says about me ;>)]

Hope that helps

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:50:11 AM PST
BethB says:
Shannon McKenna, Behind Closed Doors (The McCloud Brothers, Book 1) has a great line where Seth looks at himself in the mirror and remembers how an ex said he'd be handsome if he tried not to be so scary looking. Love this book - and the whole series.

Wild Orchids by Karen Robards. Max starts off by kidnapping Lora and so she spends quite a lot of time being frightened of him.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 11:10:53 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Experimenting with Ed (Human Design, Book One) H worked as a bouncer when they met. He is huge and hot. He has a strength that has him pulling car doors off their hinges and h is scared of his strength at times.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:19:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 11:19:55 AM PST
ambrosia says:
I still didn't like Simon at the end of the books because *****

SPOILERS*******

He was furious with the h and willing to hurt and desert her because he didn't agree with her about who should date their daughter. I hated that he put the daughter's dating life (not her life) over loving the h.

Oops: corrected "curious" to "furious".

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 11:24:05 AM PST
LTR says:
The Lisa Marie Rice books are contemporaries and are not PNR. iread them after reading a few recs for them in this forum and I've liked all of them. I just re-read Nightfire yesterday (for like the 20th time) -- such a great book. Also LOVED Midnight Angel -- the H was a great guy underneath but women always see just the exterior -- until he meets the h, who is blind. Highly, highly rec both series, the Protectors and Midnight.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 1:27:02 PM PST
@ D.T. ...it does help thank you....just one more question please... is their story told over several books, or just one?
@ ambrosia... thanks for your input, I actaully prever for the hero to be totally in love with his heroine and wouldn't put anything above her or his love for her...

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 1:04:47 AM PST
D.T. says:
Monique,

SPOLIERS ******

This is a trilogy, but each book is complete. I read them years ago, and don't remember everything, but he was seriously obsessed with the h. Simon is not a pretend scary hero, he is a SCARY ANTI-HERO - he is not nice. Does he love her - yes. Would he manipulate her - yes. Would he actually desert her - not for long. Would he hurt her - yes, and he does. Is he totally in love - as much as he is capable of, yes.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
25 27 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
152 Feb 5, 2016
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 180 7 minutes ago
H denies Mate(h) for OW ?? 69 1 hour ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 3263 1 hour ago
Post Apocalyptic/Dystopian/Sci-Fi/Fantasy Romance 16 2 hours ago
Need a good historical romance 247 2 hours ago
Beauty & the Beast themed?? 41 2 hours ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 2506 2 hours ago
M/M Loan Thread 1013 2 hours ago
wanted: kindle romance bargains ($3.99 or less) by established authors that are good (no self-promos or ya/na) 2057 2 hours ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 899 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions