Customer Discussions > Romance forum

HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2014 2:51:27 PM PST
Taylijane says:
rubcale, Sad news. Thanks for letting us know. She certainly was a diverse, creative woman who was a pioneer in many areas of the arts.
I will have to peruse my collection and pull out some favourites and some infamous Harlequin's/Mills and Boon's for a re-read.

RIP - Janey Scott Lewin

Posted on Dec 27, 2014 4:26:57 AM PST
rubcale says:
Roberta Leigh aka Rachel Lindsay and Janey Scott has sadly passed away on December 19 2014 at the grand old age of almost 88.

She was the daughter of Jewish immigrants to the UK from Russia.

She wrote quite exciting novels for M&B from the 50s through to the 80s or so.

No Business To Love written as Rachel Lindsay (published in the US as Brazilian Affair) is among my favourite alltime books.

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 8:36:34 AM PST
KatieV says:
everthing at harlequin.com is 50% off today with code: DAY25MERRY

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2014 8:25:17 PM PST
Hahaha boogenhagen, well said! Although even the OW was very meh about the whole 'he's mine' business. Glad to know I wasn't alone in disliking the book and the H.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2014 6:36:35 PM PST
RgReader says:
@rubcale, great minds have similar thoughts lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2014 3:03:48 PM PST
LLC says:
readerland: I liked this one too. I agree with one of the reviews of this book here. When Sandra Marton gets it right it's a joy to read. Great light reading for the holidays.

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 1:17:40 PM PST
Wishing you ladies a very Merry Christmas !!!

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 11:45:16 AM PST
rubcale says:
@ Rg Reader

Loved your review of Sara Craven's Inherited By Her Enemy at Goodreads but it was a spooky case of deja vu.

It was almost word for word what I would have said!

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 10:05:03 AM PST
readerland says:
I just finished The Bedroom Business and enjoyed the heck out of it :) My kind of book.

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 8:55:32 AM PST
zoey says:
Been reading more bad than good recently on this site. It is the holidays. Any good stuff?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2014 6:06:19 AM PST
boogenhagen says:
re Part Time Father -That book was so contradictory, I really wanted to smack him on the head and say "THIS is how you love someone?" How on earth did he think he was going to win her over the way he acted? He did not even like her. Honestly I would have told the OW to go for it and please get pictures so I can divorce his rear and keep custody.

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 2:33:35 AM PST
RgReader says:
Now y'all done it! I've got Sally Wentworth's Ghost of the Past but I don't want to celebrate Christmas annoyed as heck so I'll wait to read it later, lol.
I swear I read GotP and Twin of Torment a decade ago. It must have traumatized me cause I vaguely remember it and I normally remember all the details of the wrecky HPs!

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 2:32:05 AM PST
In between last minute gift wrapping and festivities, I managed to read Part-Time Father. And wished I hadn't bothered. The story consisted largely of the H treating the h badly because he loved her, shaming her because she wanted to give up her child for adoption, marrying her and making her life miserable and she takes all this carp from him because she also loves him. Even the token OW was extremely half-hearted in her efforts to drive off the H. It was not a memorable read at all.

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 8:14:27 PM PST
Becky says:
I think they find some false morality in the demand that heroine be a virgin? Right before she is used by a manslut. Life lesson: find the most abusive, sluttiest guy you find with the most degenerate morals. If you see herpes on his privates, that's your man. Make sure he despises women and can't keep it in his pants for 5 minutes. Make sure he thinks any woman who has had sex is a whore that he is entitled to treat like garbage, because her value as a person can be entirely determined by her sexual history; make sure he is equally certain that his own sexual history doesn't reflect on his character at all, because if he needs sex and has money, anything goes..it is perfectly fine to pay for sex. It's only "natural" for him to sow some oats. And even if he's slept with other women while married to you, when he tells you he loves you, believe his lies about being faithful from here on out. And under no circumstances are you ever to be with anyone else, even if you are waiting around for a dozen years and your privates shrivel up, because if you just stay in a glass case, you'll deserve him when he's done casting his seed all over the planet. (Don't even bother looking for the man! Just go marry Charlie Sheen!).

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 7:53:51 PM PST
Yep, it's Virgin Mistress Scandalous Love Child by Jennie Lucas.

Gotta love those Harlequin titles.

How is it that Harlequins are so loved by the "old ladies" and they (the books, not the ladies) are considered tame? I mean really? Harlequins have all the vices we warn our daughters about: s.x before marriage, extra marital sex, out of wedlock children, etc.

Those old ladies and those risque Harlequins!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2014 7:33:51 PM PST
Thanks Becky! I'm checking in with So many books!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2014 7:24:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2014 7:27:25 PM PST
Becky says:
Is that Virgin Mistress, Scandalous Love-Child? Jennie Lucas..Although I don't remember him coming off the dance floor, there is an illegitimate daughter who is hidden off in a house with a mean nanny who plans to marry hero so she'll never have to work again. Which she conveniently repeats in heroine's hearing. (I laughed at that...people always confess their nefarious plans out loud...NOT). Heroine fires her and adopts the little girl....HEA.

Here is my GR review in case it rings a bell...the employee Diego slept with during Carnival and immediately dumped (and fully plans to see the last of) is pregnant so of course he wants to marry her.

"So OTT dumb but it gets 2 stars because it kept me reading...

A few ways to know this relationship isn't going well 1) when you have to asks yourself if you DARE question if he could be faithful after the forced wedding, 2) when his answer to the fidelity question is "while you are in my arms, I am yours", 3) when just having an orgasm even if brought on by both manual and oral stimulation means you have to "love him completely, holding nothing back" (really?)

Oh and he sucks at picking staff-- the nanny says such overtly ridiculous lines like "I'll marry him and never have to work again" and he's supposed to be a brilliant billionaire but keeps referring to a bodyguard as his "most trusted bodyguard," and it's obvious the first time he says it that she should get away from that bodyguard! But I did like that he named the dollar amounts in the offers to buy the babies. They weren't bad offers for an HP, at least financially speaking."

Sound right?

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 6:58:20 PM PST
Boogenhagen and other HP experts please help! 'So many books' posted this on a new thread - can you please help identify this book?

"I can only remember that the H gets phone calls and he just drops drops the h. Seems like they are dancing? or something and he gets a call and he leaves her on the dance floor.

Turns out the H has a young daughter? and the nanny keeps calling him. Seems like the nanny is deliberately scaring the little girl or something and so she is afraid of the H. But when the little girl wants the H the nanny calls and the H immediately goes.

The h follows him one day and she goes into the house where the daughter and nanny are and the h immediately nips it in the bud.

Seems like it is from one the "big" name authors like Lynne Graham or something."

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 3:51:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2014 4:25:09 PM PST
Reader in NJ says:
Ordered the kindle version of "TSHMC" -- told it will be downloaded on 1/1 -- since it is a pre-order. Now I have to wait.................
I forgot to check eHarlequin to see if they had it in e-format.

EDIT: Cancelled the Kindle order & purchased e-format book from Harlequin. Now to find the time to read it. LOL

Thanks for the coupon code KatieV

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2014 1:08:33 PM PST
hiker says:
Lol..... exactly..... Sally Wentworth has some cRazy h

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2014 1:03:14 PM PST
The second one - Ghost of the Past is the worse of the two. That h was smart, beautiful and capable. Why would she tie herself to a man who was such a waste of her time??? Even at the end of the book when she's trying on her sister's wedding dress, he can only see her sister. Thing is, I can't blame him either. He's still grieving his wife. That's a ginormous clue to the h to wake up and smell the coffee! Reading this book was like watching a fat man step on a banana peel near an open sewer in slow motion - you want to stop what's happening, want to prevent the horrible thing you are sure will follow and yet find yourself strangely paralyzed!

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 12:15:39 PM PST
linkay says:
Lillian Rose how did you get hold of The Secret His Mistress Carried in Australia. Amazon has it for pre-ordering (15/01/2015) but I would like to read it over Christmas. Thank you.

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 12:00:50 PM PST
KatieV says:
Lol - love all the debate on The Secret His Mistress Carried (Mills & Boon Modern). I thought it was one of the best LG's in years, precisely because the H was so horrid. He was a real old skool HP dwad. What can I say, I enjoy wallbangers. I really do wish there had been a scene where he decided it didn't matter if she had another man's child. I think he would have dealt with it (if it were a reality) just because he was far too obsessed to let Billie go. Of all his crap behavior that was the one thing that bugged me most.

BTW: HPs are 40% off today (Dec 22) only at Harlequin.com. Use the code DAY22PRE. You can get TSHMC in e-format there too if you feel like being gloriously offended :) I know it's Jan 1 until it comes out in Kindle format (in the US, anyway) and I was happy to see it on Hqn's site since I don't buy dead tree copies if I can help it. No room for them in my little house and I like to keep my books.

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 11:08:11 AM PST
Lillian Rose says:
He had phoned her twice a day every day no matter where he was in the world and no matter how busy he was. Her soothing happy-go-lucky chatter (so they talked but of nothing that meant anything) had provided him with necessary downtime from a hectic schedule. In truth he had never had so close a relationship with any woman either before or after her. He had trusted her and he had been honest with her, which was a very rare thing between a single man and a single woman in Gio's world.

Nothing could assuage his bone-deep ferocious reaction to being forced to imagine Billie in bed with someone else. Billie had always been his alone, indisputably his. (As I said he didn't care how she felt about him having sex and having children with his wife, it was only him that mattered - He is not a silly man, so how could he not think that she might have moved on, I mean he did?)

I don't understand this -
she enquired whether or not he still had the apartment.
`No...like you, it's long gone,' he stated.
Billie took that to mean that he had not installed a more malleable woman in her place and when a
sense of relief filtered through her " He married someone else but she was relieved that he didn't get
another mistress, WT.

He would never have gone to bed with her again had he known she had a child. - he wanted her to be his mistress whilst he had children with his wife.`I'd never have touched you if I'd known you'd had some other man's child!' = And this guy is our hero???

`The least a man should do is stand by his own child,' Gio pronounced, startling her
with that opinion. `It's his most basic duty.'Well, mine didn't...' and she almost reminded him
that his father hadn't either but that felt like too sensitive a point to raise in the mood he was
in.`Whatever.' Gio shifted a broad shoulder - Poor baby, so despite his past he can asimilate
between right and wrong??? It seems though only those things he wants to see.

"The passage of time had softened her outlook. Nothing was as black and white as she had believed when she had given birth to Theo without Gio's knowledge. Less emotional now than she had been then, she knew that Gio had wronged her but that Gio's wrong did not necessarily make her decisions right. A child wasn't a trophy or a payback for an adult's unkindness. A child was only a small human being, who might well not appreciate the choice she had made when he was old enough to have an opinion" - This is one thing I was thinking when I was reading the reviews. Why didn't she tell him about the child, I am not a fan of the secret baby plot. I thought from what she learnt about Gio's illegitimate sister that she was protecting her son, not that she was in some way paying him back because he had wronged her. With the previous comment he made about a man should stand by his child, I think she knew then she was wrong, she also honestly thought he would demand that she get a termination. So she decided to tell him because of what he said about a an standing by his child, it gave her an indication that her child would not need protection from his family as he would protect him. But even though she lied at first, she had planned to tell him the next day.

If he hadn't found out about the child being his he would have left her, and never thought of her again, because even though he wanted her to be his mistress and have a wife and him have children, he never wanted her to have children by him and especially not to another man.

"`What you want and what you get in life are often two very different things,' Gio pointed out cynically. `I'm adult enough to accept that reality.'" - He is talking about his child, she said that he never wanted her to have his child, but when did Gio ever accept that he couldn't get what he wanted, he steamrolled through everyone to get what he wanted, he never accepted anything less.

Okay now at the blackmail part, what a P...k. What an absolute B. Why do these h's always fall for the blackmail and having to marry the H. Come on really. This is so overdone and not realistic at all. We have to marry to legitimize my son as my heir, what a load of crap, he can do it legally without a wedding.`Do you want our son to feel guilty when he's older that you were forced to marry me for his benefit?' Gio enquired. = He maybe would feel a little guilty but he would hate his father more because he was the one making her marry him. She should have said that back to him. He is playing her with making her feel guilty. He was fighting for what he believed in, fighting for what Theo needed most. = Bulldust he was fighting for what he wanted, he lies constantly to Billie and he lies to himself. Okay how naive is this h/Billie, how could she ever trust him after he had betrayed her when he married his first wife? He has shown her on numerous times first when he never took her out. Then when he married someone else. Then when he was going to dump her again cause he thought she had someone else's child. Now she believes that their marriage won't last and that he will do the right thing by thier son, NO this man has only ever done what is best for him. He plans to take the child from her if the marriage fails, why can't she see that??? Again how naive is she not to get legal advise about a prenup, who does that, totally unbelievable, totally.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2014 10:46:40 AM PST
hiker says:
I must have completely missed where the wife knew about his search for the missing mistress... :(
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 346 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  220
Total posts:  8626
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2011
Latest post:  1 hour ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 54 customers

Search Customer Discussions